Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Tiptronic trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:01 AM
RHedrick
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Tiptronic trans

I'm new to Rennlist and have enjoyed reading may of the posts in this forum. Looking to purchase my first 911 and have narrowed my search preference to an early- mid 90's 964 or 993. I'm primarily looking to drive the car as a weekender or the occasional daily commute on a nice day.

I've recently found a beautiful 1992 964 with a Tiptonic transmission with approx. 83K miles with majority of service records. I don't know much about the Tiptronic trans and hope many of you could give me your thoughts, pros-cons, any issues to be aware of? I've not ever given much consideration to owning a tiptronic on a 911 as I figure in the enthusiast world they may be considered a "lesser" Porsche (if you could ever really say that). Perhaps it only comes down to personnal preference. Thoughts?

Last edited by RHedrick; 11-09-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist!

The tiptronic transmissions (from what I've always heard and read) are pretty much bullit-proof... Just like the rest of the car. Then it's up to the driver/owner. Personally, I like a 5-speed. But then I sometimes regret that decision when I'm trapped in DC area rush hour traffic. I still love my 5-speed.... But wonder what the tip would be like.

I don't think you can make a bad decision here...
Old 11-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Drive em! Find a c2 you can try out and then decide.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:58 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I live in the SF Bay Area, and use the car during the week for commuting. The Tiptronic is great. It would be better if it was a 5 speed tip, but ...

However, on the weekends around the back roads, I wish I had the manual, more control, more interactivity.

Drive both, in traffic, and on the open road.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose it is personal preference as far as whether shifting in traffic bothers you.
I've driving manuals for 33 years and honestly, it's become so "automatic" that I don't even think about it, even in heavy traffic. And we have some of the worse traffic in the country! I even kinda miss it when I jump in my wife's car and stab for the clutch pedal that isn't there.

The only time it bothers me is when I start fumbling around with the cell phone - but then I realize, I shouldn't be doing that sh*t anyway!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:20 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Tips are awesome. Can drive like a standard even w/blip throttle for down****s. At least when you buy a tip car, you know the engine has not been over-reved and it won't need a clutch anytime soon. My suggestion is if you get one...fit larger brakes to the car...that's the combo for carving up the twisties.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:30 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

I bought mine with the Tiptronic so my wife can share my joy of driving it. It is a bit less thrilling with the Tiptronic, but there were many positive sides in my case. The support and engagement from your spouse makes justification of upgrades/investments more convincing.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
I bought mine with the Tiptronic so my wife can share my joy of driving it...
Oh, no...!

Is that a positive or a negative?

I get plenty of support from the spousal unit, but she fortunately doesn't want to go near the thing any more than I want her to.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:51 AM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Tips are awesome. Can drive like a standard even w/blip throttle for down****s. At least when you buy a tip car, you know the engine has not been over-reved and it won't need a clutch anytime soon. My suggestion is if you get one...fit larger brakes to the car...that's the combo for carving up the twisties.
Agree ... especially about the down ****s :-)
Old 11-05-2006, 03:08 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jjbunn

I KNEW there was a reason I bought a manual transmission!
Old 11-05-2006, 06:50 PM
RHedrick
4th Gear

Default Thanks

Thank guys for your comments on the tiptronic. I'll plan to test drive the tip to see what it's all about. My gut tells me that I'll most likely lean toward a manual.

Thanks again!!
Old 11-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jjbunn
Ewww... nobody ever mentioned this aspect.

Actually, I was reading another board where a guy let his buddy take his performance car for a little "run". Redlining through the gears, his buddy accidentally hit 1st. instead of 3rd...

Instant Down****. And a blown engine.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmm... "Down****s" in a Tiptronic trans Porsche.... I guess it "Depends" on what you want... And what you wear.... EEeeesh...
Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

If you test drive a tip...leave it in manual mode....and careful of the down****s...
Old 11-06-2006, 12:50 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been DEing my TIP for 4 years, and it gives up very little to those "less Sophisticated" (manual) trannies. And, yes, I don't have to worry about overreving, by missing an "up-****", TIPs stay regular.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Tiptronic trans