Have I just overfilled??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by aeroman
John Walker of Seattle told me overfilling is not bad in a 964 and will do no damage like in the older cars.
The problem with an overfilled 964 is that the ISV gets all gummed up and eventually no longer responds fast enough so you end up with poor idle speed and the occasional stall. You can also overfill the system enough to cause weird/poor running conditions. The oil tank overflow tubes (red arrows in the image below) basically vent directly into the ISV.

Old 11-02-2006, 04:15 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At my service in 2005, my car was slightly over-filled. I thought I would probably get away with it - one month later, I was cleaning out the ISV and AFM to cure my uneven idle.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aeroman
John Walker of Seattle told me overfilling is not bad in a 964 and will do no damage like in the older cars. When I drove mine back from Cali I thought I had done that and called him to see what I should do. He said if you do just let it burn itself out. major smoke clouds. If he says it is okay then I am sure it is.
<giggle> That's basically what he told me - after he overfilled it (just a wee bit... ). I figured he must know. I looked at the guage and the stick, and decided it must have been about a half-quart over. Based on what I read here, I readied myself to clean the intake, but I haven't needed to. I never had any smoke or bad engine behavior.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:10 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was only me, but now I find that I'm in such good company I'm almost glad that I've overfilled!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:20 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Quite a few years ago (I was 16) I changed the oil on my 50cc motorcycle. I didn't notice that it had a sight glass near the bottom of the sump.

I was very surprised at how much oil it took to fill it to just under the brim of the oil fill hole..... and, as you can imagine - it absolutely refused to start with that much oil in it.

Fortunately, I'm not quite that stupid anymore. I only buy cars with oil gauges
Old 11-02-2006, 04:30 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

originally posted by DaveK
Fortunately, I'm not quite that stupid anymore. I only buy cars with oil gauges
Aaaah, but do you? Any news on the Supra...?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

If it's overfilled, simply take a turkey baster and suck out some of the overage through the oil filler. A little bit of oil causes the needle on my gauge to flunctuate quite a bit. Example: when my needle is pointing in the red, adding only a few ounces will cause it to read at 3 o'clock.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:47 PM
TR6
Drifting

This works great to suction out oil. I bought it to use on my boat but have ended up using it for all kinds of oil draining projects.
http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons...um=21664&fcat=
Old 11-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one a while back that attaches to your hand drill, seems like it was less than $30? It was made for marine-type applications where you can't get to the drain plug. Oh, here it is:

http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons...um=20316&fcat=

I'd never want to change oil this way because it's a real PITA to use and you can't get all the old oil out, but it will pull a quart out lickity-split.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:58 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by kusee pee
Aaaah, but do you? Any news on the Supra...?
I've been driving it for almost a week. And a nice fun car it is too!

Unfortunately - it's a bit scary the rate the fuel is dropping and I've booked it in for a service next week. I used to laugh at the focus service prices - I suspect I won't laugh quite so much this time....
Old 11-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
I've been driving it for almost a week. And a nice fun car it is too!

Unfortunately - it's a bit scary the rate the fuel is dropping and I've booked it in for a service next week. I used to laugh at the focus service prices - I suspect I won't laugh quite so much this time....
Auto or manual TT?

My regular mileage was at least 300-320 miles to a tank with my auto tt (average of 26/27mpg). Anything substantially less than ~280 is unusual.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:25 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Manual NA. I had a TT about 7 years ago - but I decided that as my daily driver I should be sensible.

Haven't got through a tank of fuel yet - but I'd be surprised if it's much more than 200 miles. The Supra forum had a thread a few days ago saying new O2 sensor makes a huge difference - but it might also be that my journeys are all short (7 miles to work).
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I am the victim of "overfill"

The garage responsible for testing my car for Aussie compliance "kindly" checked whether it had oil in before starting the car after it's long journey from the UK. So, with engine off and the car having not been run for 9 weeks, the oil was "very low". He even charged me for the oil! When he first told me that he needed to top the oil up, I didn't think twice but after I had driven a couple of miles and saw the guage, I sussed what had happened.

Quick Reply: Have I just overfilled??