Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motronic questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I was very interested in your comment that both 993 and 996 have MAF reliability issues. My European market experience is that the 993 HFM2 is very reliable whereas the 996 HFM5 is cr*p ! Got me wondering why the HFM2 is giving problems in the USA ?"

- Geoff -

I agree. Many of my Porsche repair shops and dealers see less 993 MAF sensor failures than 996.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:14 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok I may need a maths lesson here.
Edited as message no longer needed now that jason has edited his text above,

Last edited by Laurence Gibbs; 10-31-2006 at 06:01 AM. Reason: text removed as Jason has edited previous message
Old 10-31-2006, 05:34 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
ok I may need a maths lesson here.
No I just need to do a better job of writing what I'm thinking. I'm switching between the actual code and trying to explain it in english and doing a crappy job.

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
Why do we divide by C/S rotation to get mass?
You divide by RPM to calculate the load not mass. The base load is the the amount of time that would be required to keep the injectors open to have Lambda == 1 if the engine was in perfect running condition.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:18 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think what Colin is saying is that it makes sense from a software programming perspective, however, in practice, at high throttle openings (75%-80%), the airflow may pin the AFM at 5 volts. This means that even though mechanically, there is more airflow going through the engine, the AFM won't recognize it.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:54 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

This is a bit off topic, but the right people are reading this thread.

Is it possible to create a chip for the eary style dme's [with the fqs] that instead of doing what the settings normally do, make them all change the ignition timing to small degrees.

so say 0 is 0, but
1=2%
2=4%

or whatever makes sense.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:17 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Heirsh,
Yup, you can have pretty well whatever you like !

Jason,
That is a much better explanation which I fits with my understanding !By the time you are done a book looks in order ! On second thoughts could be dangerous .Just think of all the blown motors running 50 degrees of advance !!

All the best

Geoff
Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

/drool

You could run race gas and adjust your fqs to compensate, or a bad tank of 87 and retard, or back to normal for 93...

So the next obvious question... Why hasnt anyone done this?
Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"You could run race gas and adjust your fqs to compensate, or a bad tank of 87 and retard, or back to normal for 93..." - Heirsh -

That's what the knock sensors are for, or not use Mickey Mouse performance chips
which "push" the timing, e.g. 48-50 degrees.

"So the next obvious question... Why hasnt anyone done this?" - Heirsh -

It's not that easy to disassemble, correctly understand, and re-write the assembly language,
e.g. the fix for the idle undershoot with the LWF which has better merit but has yet to be
done properly. It's all a function of time & money, for most neither is there.

"On second thoughts could be dangerous .Just think of all the blown motors running 50 degrees of advance !!" - Geoff -

And that's what some performance chips do now.

Last edited by Lorenfb; 11-01-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Heirsh,
The 962 has a FQS / mapping rotary **** on the firewall behind the drivers head. I recalibrated a pair of those for Historic Le Mans cars .
How anyone was supposed to remember where the switch position was when reaching behind and to the side of your head while wearing a helmet and seriously strapped in was beyond me !
The general idea was to be able to back off fuelling in pace car periods and wind everything right up if needed.

Fabulous car and the motor was something I could seriously covet !!

All the best

Geoff
Old 10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Sounds awesome Geoff. I toyed with richening mine up a bit from time to time, but even with a perfectly fitting triangular point driver I never knew where I was without putting it back to 0. I bet those guys had a real time. Sounds similar to the afm idle screw.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:26 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red rooster
Heirsh,
The 962 has a FQS / mapping rotary **** on the firewall behind the drivers head. I recalibrated a pair of those for Historic Le Mans cars .
How anyone was supposed to remember where the switch position was when reaching behind and to the side of your head while wearing a helmet and seriously strapped in was beyond me !
The general idea was to be able to back off fuelling in pace car periods and wind everything right up if needed.

Fabulous car and the motor was something I could seriously covet !!

All the best

Geoff
I have a photo taken at Le Mans of Derek Bell getting out of one after winning and we were trying to guess what all the ***** were. I must find the photos and see if I can see which **** you mean
Old 10-31-2006, 09:19 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Simon,
Dont get me started on the 962 , especially the twin turbo ! Somehow a Diesel Audi just doesnt do it for me.
I started going to Le Mans in the late 70s and I was hooked on the greatest race in the world. Thats where Porsche built their reputation and its sad to see them playing corporate politcs as a major VAG shareholder.
Oh well , maybe they will come back as a front line competitor someday.

All the best

Geoff

Quick Reply: motronic questions