Sponsored by:

Seat Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 08:51 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat Upgrade

Hi, I have been thinking about changing the seats in my 964 C2, as they are a little tired and wondered whether anyone had upgraded to 993, 996 or even Boxster S seats.

I know that 964RS seats should be the way to go, however I want to retain the rear seats and still have "easy" assess so I suppose buckets are out.

Any advise most welcome.

Andy
Old 10-18-2006, 11:27 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine were wearing so I put in Cobra Misanos. I like them very much. They are a sporty seat, but allow the back rest to tilt and allow easy access to the rear seats. Pics here:

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/ChuckInterior
Old 10-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChuckG
Mine were wearing so I put in Cobra Misanos. I like them very much. They are a sporty seat, but allow the back rest to tilt and allow easy access to the rear seats. Pics here:

Those seats look great!
I'm looking at replacing my seats too and those might be it...
Old 10-19-2006, 07:34 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Chuck they look great.

Can you advise whether they bolt on to the existing runners. If not how did up fix them to the car.

Cashmere interior - same as mine - must be Karma!!

Many thanks Andy
Old 10-19-2006, 09:00 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

I saw these on the web and thought they looked good. Now I see Chuck's they are fantastic!

Can't see 'cos of the sunlight, but are they all black, or black with grey insert?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:26 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Recently saw a car advertised that had honda s2000 leather seats in and they looked good as well. did not look out of place i recall thinking.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:39 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

The seats are all black.

The seats didn't bolt up to the old runners, I had 8 way power seats. Don't know how they might mate to a manual seat runner. I had to install new seat brackets; I used ones made by Wedge Engineering and Cobra runners. The place I purchased the seats from (Sube Sports in Huntington Beach, California) removed the inside seat adjustment **** for me, as it fouls the transmission tunnel.

I was unsure how I would like the black seats in the Cashmere interior, but I am happy with how they work together. With the black dash, mats, shifter and handbrake, nothing looks out of place.

I have a 45 mile each way commute (90 miles round trip), the seats are very comfortable.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:53 PM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Default Seat upgrade - update

I rang Cobra today about fixing - their MD will ring me tomorrow with data,

As for cost - approx £740 each inc delivery to the UK and VAT (Black Leather with Black Carbon backs and Porsche logos - do not tell Porsche).

I will provide more details as I get it.

I will also speak to the folks at Southbound and get an opinion - likely to be bad as he typically sells Recaro, but will ask anyway.

My biggest concern remain fixing the seats - as I would rather not start drilling or welding plates to the underside of my car - hopefully there might be an adapter which sits between the exixting fixings and Corba mounts.

As an aside I found out that any Porsche seat including those fitted to 993 will fit as will 944 and 968. All these seats were made by Recaro.

Later seats 996, Boxster, etc can be made to fit, in the same way than any after market seat will fit. Not recommeded unless they are correctly engineered in as the safety implications are horrenous. 996, etc seat are NOT made by Recaro. Shock horror!!
Andy
Old 10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I didn't have to weld or drill anything. The new brackets were designed to bolt up to the existing holes.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:04 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Chuck were the plates custom made or do they have a part number. Sounds like the answer to my problem.

Many thanks Andy
Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 AM
tafkai

rob mug is a cobra distributor .
might be an idea to contact him ?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:20 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Originally Posted by tafkai
rob mug is a cobra distributor .
might be an idea to contact him ?

This one??

Rob Mugglestone
Publisher, Total 911 Magazine
'93 C2 Coupe, Midnight Blue/Grey

Cool - I wonder whether he would like to do an peice on my car as well
Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Damn those are nice.

I was going to go with those but I purchased a set of Sparco Milano Prestige in all balck leather instead. I like the CF and aluminum sides of the Cobra's. Are the side suports Aluminum or plastic? Looks like I should have gone with my first choice.

I am having the same problem with the Sparco's the seat rails don't line up and I need a special bracket which does not appear to be available.

Anyway for the same price the sparcos seem to be a nice seat. Only difference is the front thigh extension on the sparcos. But those Cobras sure look good.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

The side supports (I assume you are referring to the metal "webbing" on the seat sides) on the seat are aluminum. not plastic.

The bracket I mounted to the car (and the seat to) was made by Wedge engineering, I bought it from the same place I purchased the seat. Here is an article which desribes the seat install process fairly well (too bad I stumbled on it after I had installed mine). The car is an Acura and the seat is a Cobra Daytona, but they use the same bracket from Wedge engineering and the experience was pretty much the same for me.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/pro...ra/index1.html

I think that you can also get sliders/brackets from Recaro, but haven't seen them.

Chuck
Old 10-20-2006, 01:12 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

The side supports (I assume you are referring to the metal "webbing" on the seat sides) on the seat are aluminum. not plastic.

The bracket I mounted to the car (and the seat to) was made by Wedge engineering, I bought it from the same place I purchased the seat. Here is an article which desribes the seat install process fairly well (too bad I stumbled on it after I had installed mine). The car is an Acura and the seat is a Cobra Daytona, but they use the same bracket from Wedge engineering and the experience was pretty much the same for me.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/pro...ra/index1.html

I think that you can also get sliders/brackets from Recaro, but haven't seen them.

Chuck

Thanks,

I am supposed to recieve the brackets for my sparco's today. If not I am returning them and I think I will go with the Cobra's. I also like the side lever on the seat adjustement vs the center bar used on the sparcos.

Quick Reply: Seat Upgrade