964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smaller steering wheel - legs too long!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006 | 02:20 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Default Smaller steering wheel - legs too long!

Anyone else out there changed steering wheel to get a little more room for the legs?

Im 6'4 and surprisingly have plenty (well... "enough" would be more accurate than "plenty") headroom in my 965. The only space issue I have is getting my legs under the steering wheel - getting in and out of the car especially.

Have been looking at flat bottomed wheels such as the Sparco Extreme 2 (http://www.sparcoracing.com/images/D/171.jpg), not thrilled with how it looks (would hopefully be able to fit a porsche emblem over the centre), but perhaps it would solve the problem. Any used a wheel like this?

Thanks
Matt
Old 10-16-2006 | 02:37 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

I hear you - Im 6'4" and was concered when I started looking at the 964's. The steering wheel and my knees were a perfect collision.

I found my current car with a Momo/Porsche Design steering wheel with hub adapter that actualy brought the wheel closer to me allowing my knees to no longer contact the wheel. I can get in/out "easier" without the wheel contacting my knees while driving. My wheel is 365mm (14.4") and the hub is about 4" long. Overall a better driving position for me.
Old 10-16-2006 | 02:52 AM
kgorman
Drifting

I have the same problem, I am 6'2", my hands make contact with my legs when turning, it sucks. So I am installing the Momo Mod 07 steering wheel, I will probably get a spacer, but it has a larger dish than most wheels, and it's the same wheel that the cup cars have w/o the Porsche logo. So it's cool to boot. I don't have airbags ('89) so it's a direct bolt on.

Old 10-16-2006 | 01:24 PM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Have a look at the Tequipment one. As used on the 968CS. The centre is offset (lower) so give more room when getting in and out (providing the wheels are pointing straight) Otherwise it gives less room - if you see what I mean!!

Regards Andy
Old 10-16-2006 | 02:20 PM
Southampton76
Racer

You can buy a Porsche Momo horn push. I have one on my mod 8

I'm 6ft 3" and switching to a dished wheel moved the wheel away from my knnes.

You can also move the seat back an extra 1 inch or so by shifting the mounting bolts. It helped me out a lot and I find it comfortable to drive. I still can't do more than 2 hours without having to get out and stretch.

I also read that changing seats to raise the lower part of the thighs helps fatigue. I have my seats low at the back, high at the front.
Old 10-16-2006 | 04:24 PM
deoxford
Pro

I was looking in to this as well, I am 6''3' and it is tight for me too. I have long legs and getting in and out of the car is hard.
Does anyone know here to find a Momo for the 94? I put it in my 72 and loved it!!!
I also put racing seats in the 72 , and that gave me all the leg room I needed and then some.

But I am going to look in to moving it back with the mounting bolts that is great news, then I can wait to but new seats in $$$$
Old 10-16-2006 | 04:51 PM
tafkai

what about an eccentric adapter on the hub ???
Old 10-16-2006 | 05:21 PM
deoxford
Pro

Tell me more????
Old 10-16-2006 | 05:53 PM
tafkai

momo amongst other make them . basically offsets the centre of the wheel . (meaning you have to entre/exit with the wheel centred)

you can also buy adjustable spacers to get the wheel closer to you , sparco make these .

or ............... you can buy a snap-off adapter which lets you remove the wheel to get in and out . also an added security feature . plus ............. it will space the wheel nearer to you to avoid knee contact !!
Old 10-16-2006 | 08:45 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tafkai
.............. you can buy a snap-off adapter which lets you remove the wheel to get in and out . also an added security feature .
Just be careful - this arrangement may not be street legal in your area.

Marc
Old 10-17-2006 | 02:09 AM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Anyone know where to find a 968CS steering wheel?
Old 10-17-2006 | 05:31 AM
asimler
Racer

I'm 6'4" too. First thing to do (if you havent already) is get the seat attached to the back set of mounting holes - gives about 1/2 inch extra headroom as the seat runners are on a slight angle in the car. Then I changed my ugly and cumbersome airbag wheel for this one, think it might the same as the 968CS.

Its off-centre so as others have said it sits higher on the steering column when centred. Also it's slightly smaller in diameter than stock, so my hands dont hit my legs when turning. It transformed the driving experience for me.

I bought from Southbound Motor Trimmers (UK) and its an OEM part - they charged c.£265 from memory, much cheaper than from Porsche direct

Last edited by asimler; 11-16-2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2006 | 08:46 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Originally Posted by asimler
I'm 6'4" too. First thing to do (if you havent already) is get the seat attached to the back set of mounting holes - gives about 1/2 inch extra headroom as the seat runners are on a slight angle in the car. Then I changed my ugly and cumbersome airbag wheel for this one, think it might the same as the 968CS.

Its off-centre so as others have said it sits higher on the steering column when centred. Also it's slightly smaller in diameter than stock, so my hands dont hit my legs when turning. It transformed the driving experience for me.

I bought from Southbound Motor Trimmers (UK) and its an OEM part - they charged c.£265 from memory, much cheaper than from Porsche direct

Thats the kiddy - got mine from Southbound to however Dave charged me £300 inc VAT Maybe because it was the last one he had in stock.

Part number is 000 043 162 00 8YR

It really is a great wheel and much nicer than the MOMO units I looks at (at a bit VMAX for my taste)
Old 10-17-2006 | 12:06 PM
asimler
Racer

Yeah couldnt agree more - I love momo's (put them in all my non pcars) but when oem is this good, its the way to go IMO.

actually I think I paid Dave about £310 including the VAT
Old 10-17-2006 | 01:50 PM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by asimler
First thing to do (if you havent already) is get the seat attached to the back set of mounting holes - gives about 1/2 inch extra headroom as the seat runners are on a slight angle in the car.
Just to clarify what asimler is talking about regarding the "back set of mounting holes". This can make a huge difference.

Quick Reply: Smaller steering wheel - legs too long!