Sponsored by:

Emmision rules in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:05 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emmision rules in Australia

I don't know if there are any Aussie 964 owners on here but how do the cars go when it comes to emmision testing? I will be in NSW. Will I need a cat?

I have looked up the rules and we measure stuff differently over here so I have to find out so that I can ensure my car complies when it arrives. Otherwise, I am sure that somebody will hand me a nice big bill!
Old 10-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Try here Simon. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/environmen...ons/index.html

You might want to drop them an E-mail to see how your 964RS is affected seeing it's being imported.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:41 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Adrian

Thanks. I have been looking for some time and I want to check my understanding. It seems to me that a vehicle needs to comply with whatever regulations were in force when they were new. From then on, I cannot find evidence that vehicles are retested, unless they start smoking!! Then, if the vehicle smokes for more than 10 seconds, it gets an order to repair it and only if that order is not satisfied for 30 days that the vehicle could be tested and issued with a defective vehicle notice!

I need to continue reading. Surely there must be some regular testing. What stops you modifying a car? More research needed, I think!!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
Adrian

Thanks. I have been looking for some time and I want to check my understanding. It seems to me that a vehicle needs to comply with whatever regulations were in force when they were new. From then on, I cannot find evidence that vehicles are retested, unless they start smoking!! Then, if the vehicle smokes for more than 10 seconds, it gets an order to repair it and only if that order is not satisfied for 30 days that the vehicle could be tested and issued with a defective vehicle notice!

I need to continue reading. Surely there must be some regular testing. What stops you modifying a car? More research needed, I think!!
Simon,
I don't understand why you don't just ask the people responsible the questions you need answered.
They are the only ones who count and their decision is final. Your beliefs and research are totally irrelevant. I know I used to live in NSW, they were then and remain the toughest of the States when it comes to cars.
You will face compliance with both Federal and State laws with this car so why not ask how they will apply the laws to your 964RS?
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:11 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Sorry Adrian, its not quite as simple as that! I intend to make modifications to the car and I want to understand the rules so I can see what I can get away with. Regulators tend to tell you the regulations, not the way around them
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Sorry Adrian, its not quite as simple as that! I intend to make modifications to the car and I want to understand the rules so I can see what I can get away with. Regulators tend to tell you the regulations, not the way around them
Sorry Simon, but you have lost me. The first post you make in this thread says you want to make sure your car complies with Australian law when it arrives to avoid being handed a large bill. Now you say you want to find out how you can bend the rules to make mods. The smart thing would be to make sure your 964RS complies with the laws on arrival then carry out the mods afterwards.
Whatever it's your effort not mine.
I also advise you to make sure your car is squeaky clean as well. First it will go through Customs then it will go through Agriculture. If the inspectors find any dirt they will order the car fumigated and cleaned and you will pay for this and it ain't cheap. $
As for the rest well good luck, but these inspectors at the other end know all of the tricks of the trade. Any effort to try and deceive them will not only lead to large bills, but your 964RS could also be impounded. Just a fair warning I worked with Customs for five years and these guys don't like to be messed with especially by people with Porsches. Three 911s sat impounded in Darwin for non compliance with Australian regulations whilst I was there. Eventually they were auctioned off and re-exported. I don't know where they went.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:50 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice, Adrian. I do want to get the car into the country legally! I guess that as I currently run without a cat and am looking to have Motec fitted, I want to make sure that whatever I do gets through or can be altered to get through. I have discovered that once in the country, people seem to do what they please!

The "clean" one I am only too well aware of. There is an interesting point about letting untreated wood into the country (isn't there some around the pedals?). In 1998, The German sailing team sent their boats to Sydney for what was a very important regatta in terms of Olympic preparation, namely the pre-olympic regatta. However, they made the frames to hold their boats in place in the container out of timber and Customs (or whoever controls such things) basically took one look, threw in an insectorside and locked the container for 21 days. Only problem was, that meant they had no boats for the regatta!

From then on, every sailing team was rather careful. I have been in 4 British teams racing in Oz since and we are so careful. However, in the last few years, modern insectorsides now means that there is something that can be done (thrown into the container) that allows everything to be unpacked 24 hours later. I suspect it must be pretty nasty!!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the advice, Adrian. I do want to get the car into the country legally! I guess that as I currently run without a cat and am looking to have Motec fitted, I want to make sure that whatever I do gets through or can be altered to get through. I have discovered that once in the country, people seem to do what they please!

The "clean" one I am only too well aware of. There is an interesting point about letting untreated wood into the country (isn't there some around the pedals?). In 1998, The German sailing team sent their boats to Sydney for what was a very important regatta in terms of Olympic preparation, namely the pre-olympic regatta. However, they made the frames to hold their boats in place in the container out of timber and Customs (or whoever controls such things) basically took one look, threw in an insectorside and locked the container for 21 days. Only problem was, that meant they had no boats for the regatta!

From then on, every sailing team was rather careful. I have been in 4 British teams racing in Oz since and we are so careful. However, in the last few years, modern insectorsides now means that there is something that can be done (thrown into the container) that allows everything to be unpacked 24 hours later. I suspect it must be pretty nasty!!!!
Untreated wood and feathers are the two favourites. If they see bugs in your car, even ones splattered on the windscreen they will get nervous.
To the best of my knowledge you will not be able to import a car into Australia that was fitted as standard with Cat without one. This is the kind of thing you need to ask the authorities before you send it. The 964RS will have to undergo a Roadworthy inspection and being a private import it will attract the finest toothcomb.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:09 AM
David P
Instructor

Hi Simon,

I agree with Adrian's comments, and don't forget that UK imports sell for far less than ones that were orginally imported directly to Australia. Saying that, finding a good 964RS at a reasonable price down is will be next to impossible.

:-)

DavidP

PS What sort of boats do you race? I've done a bit of Ocean Racing down here, such as the Sydney and Melbourne Hobarts.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Here are two links which may help you Simon. New rules for all cars built in 1989 or afterwards. The rules have changed again since I looked at them last.
Ciao,
Adrian.

http://www.dotars.gov.au/transport/s...importing.aspx
http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/

Quick Reply: Emmision rules in Australia