Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C2, Tiptronic...Advice on service...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:56 PM
nazara
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 C2, Tiptronic...Advice on service...

Hi all,

I am a new member of this site. From Norway currently living in Hungary. I just purchased a 964 C2 Tiptronic 3 days ago. It is registered in 1991, but it is a 1992 model (august 1991-->?!?!).
I am currently "servicing" the car as it has run 200000 km. The engine has never been "opened" as the seller said. Now that the engine is out, this has been confirmed by my mechanic.
Since the engine is now out, and after reading this forum for a couple of days, I have decided to do the following.

- Changing all the belts (A/C, fan, powersteering, distributer belts...etc.) Spark plugs, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter.
- Changing Engine oil.
- Changing the transmission oil
- Changing the brake fluid
- Changing the powersteering fluid
- Adjusting the valves
- Sorting out the oil leaks (not so many of them)

The flywire was "cracked", so this is also being fixed as the engine is now out (although no sound could be heard). Did bring an independent mechanic with me when purchasing the car. The same guy is going to do all the services. He has worked on my friends porsche 911 3.2 and 928 for over 10 year, so I was recommended this guy by him.

However I do not speak hungarian, and the mechanic does not speak english so I am looking for your help in order to get this sorted right. I have looked at this forum, looked at Johns 964 web and several other sites. Just to confirm that I have got things right, and I have missed anything or you have any recommendation now that the engine is out, I would very much like to hear it.

- Engine oil: Fully syntethic (10W-60W) 11,5 liters

- Transmission oil: Dexron III (How many liters is required??), and should I change the differential fluid now that the car is in the shop?? Is it the same as the transmission oil?? if so, how many liters in total should I buy??
I read on the forum that the measurement should be made with the engine at working temprature etc. or just to fill in the same amount that is taken out?? Is there any other way. Is there a fix value of so and so liters and thats it??

- Powersteering fluid: 1 liter, Dexron?? what?? III??

- Brake fluid: DOT4, 1 liter.

Any other suggestions of work to do on it, now that the engine is out is welcomed.

I am also repainting the rear bumper, and decided to "repair" and repaint the rear lights.
Will put up pictures as soon as the car is out of the shop, and hopefully all the major issues have been taken care of.

I would like to thank you all in advance for any help regarding this since I am not really a DIY person (would love to be, but don't really have "IT" I guess), and look forward enjoying the car in the near future.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:43 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome

I would replace the following even if they're not leaking now:

Cam Covers gaskets

Oil pressure sender O-ring

As far as the tiptronic transmission, there's a filter that should be changed which requires dropping the pan. Install with new gasket. Complete refill is 9 liters of dextron II D. Check for proper level against gauge once warmed up on intitial test drive. There is a machine which circulates and heats the oil thru the cooler, etc. which is how Porsche would like to see it done, but absent that checking the level after warm up is sufficient. You'll leave a small bit of oil in the cooler and lines, so the final amount will propably be less than the 9 liters.

Go here

And here

Differential takes 75W90 GL5 gear oil or MIL-L 2105 B synthetic oil (0.9 liters) as per the Bentley "Without Guesswork".

Steering is Dextron II D . Quantity is not mentioned.

If I recall Dextron II has been superceded by Dextron III, this is been discussed before in the archives.

What's a "flywire"?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
nazara
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you.

I guess I meant flywheel!

Thank you for the advice. I guess I will just bring the laptop in and show the mechanic what parts I mean by showing him the pictures. Will make sure I get the fluids that you recommended. Once again thank you for taking time to help me out on this. Will post updates as soon as I get the car back (Hope its all done by Friday ).

Quick Reply: 964 C2, Tiptronic...Advice on service...