Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed the oil filter - what a mess

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" large enough hammer (or force) to send a screwdriver/nail through the double pleated element."
The can is hard and the elements I've seen / pulled apart , have been weak / easy to damage .
If the screwdriver / nail goes into the case more than a fraction of an inch , it will be into the element . The few times I punched a hole in the filter case I'm 100% sure I punched right through one side of the element . The few times I've seen others punch the filter can , I'm 100% sure they punched right through . One guy went in one side and out the other and used the screw driver to spin off the filter .

Thats a professional shot of the filter can and element . Did you take time to set that up or does it just come naturally to you .
Old 09-20-2006, 02:38 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I dont see the logic in the crud getting into the oil stream. The hole is at the top of the filter which is not full of oil. Maybe if you stuck the screwdriver in deep and twirled it around ripping up the paper element maybe something from the paper would get in the oil.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use something with a conical end to punch the hole you can control very well the depth you penetrate. if you use a screwdriver You will have force until it clears the head them jam through.

If you want to get perfect make a pointed ended piece of steel that has a shelf on it that wont let you penetrate but so far.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it dislodges one little bit of grit and that grit ends up in a main bearing ?
I'll never punch a hole in a filter can again , I don't want to take any risk of that small thing screwing up my new bearings . I can get the filter off without punching a hole , no need , no want , to chicken ....
Old 09-20-2006, 03:36 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who do want to put a hole in the filter, a drill works very nicely...short bit, slow speed, barely puncture the shell, shop towelling to catch the shavings - no trouble.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:38 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next time I will take pictures, and then disassemble the filter to look.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll still always punch a small hole with a nail to introduce air into the system letting the filter drain.I've never had a problem over penetrating into the pleat. If it's a small enough hole (and not too deep) it will work fine. Indycam does bring up an issue that I thought about when I first started punching holes in the filters though. I figured if the hole was small enough that it would allow the air to get in but not in a manner that would stir anything up. Any crud in the filter has been sucked hard into the pleat and probably wouldn't release and flow back into the tank. Seems to me that if any did make it out it would be sucked right back up into the filter. I don't know if I would use a drill though... The possibility of shavings going anywhere bothers me. Same with blowing it out with air though I would imagine that it would take quite a blast to dislodge the crud on the filter pleat.

I've always used a lot of paper towels and just brought any oil soaked things back to the store to get rid of. Every now and then I'll use an old rag that has been relegated to shop usage.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

/shrug

If you don't hit the element I dont see it being any more dangerous than adding oil to the car (cap off, stuff can get in).

To each their own.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

I changed oil in the Speedster this afternoon. I punch the filter with a sheel metal punch. It's kind of a heavy duty ice pick used by tinners to start holes. It is made for the job. Spilled only a few drops of oil and a few of blood. All in all very smooth. I really don't get not being able to control it enough not to penetrate the element. Probably a screwdriver isn't the proper approach.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

I vote for punching a small hole with controlled penetration on the side facing up.

I also suggest that any motor/vehicle design that does not place the filter to attach "straight up" from below is, well, stupid. I have owned more than a few of of right and wrong designs, and the difference for DIY oil change is significant.
Bob K
1989 C4
Old 09-21-2006, 09:42 AM
MSchett2
Instructor

I do it first, then the drain plugs. No oil comes from that plug. I believe the function of it is to let air into the lines to help drain the filter. Then when I remove the filter I loosen it and quickly tip it down. The only oil I get from the filter is a little oil that clings to the gasket, nothing really. The filter itself is pretty much drained. It's very simple and no down side, certainly easier and cleaner than piercing the filter. Just don't forget to put the plug back.

Quick Reply: Changed the oil filter - what a mess