Sponsored by:

964 Speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:18 PM
G53
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Speaker upgrade

Apologies for the second question in one day, but the response was helpful so I'll try another...

My front speakers have blown, leaving only the tweeters - which are 16 years old and need replacing anyway. The stock Porsche tweeters are quite large and I am having difficulty finding a suitable replacement that covers the same area and therefore holes. I would really like to preserve the stock look of the tweeter by using the same cover but this seems immpossible as the tweeter is integrated with the backplate/cover.

I think the rear speakers could also do with replacement but haven't attempted to remove the covers. Again I would like to reuse the covers to keep the look. I may also replace the Porsche amp with something more substantial (which I think is under one of seats).

Can anyone help with suggestions or alternatives? Surprisingly I haven't found anything useful on the web.

Many thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 03:20 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infinity. I have them, and so do many others. You can use the stock tweeter cover if I remember correctly, but you need to turn part of the tweeter mounting upside down. If you search, you'll find posts about them.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

My 1990 has a set of ADS in it and they sound great! The only thing that would make it better for me would the tweeters with adjustable ball heads so the very directional high-freq. could be pointed more towards the driver instead of perpendicular to the door surface. They were in the car when I bought it but it looks like they dropped right in, crossover lives in the blocked-off section of armrest between covered pocket and open pocket.

Love it!! (that and my new Alpine iPod compatible deck.. it's like my own little spaceship... life-pod.... )
Old 09-13-2006, 03:38 PM
G53
Advanced

OK, Dave, do you mean that the Infinities are the correct diameter and thread so that you screw the Porsche cover straight on? What exactly do you mean by turning the mounting upside down??

I'll search through the posts. But if you can shed any brief but bright light that would be most helpful.

Thanks also Foto. Ipod deck next on the list!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:40 PM
Pingo
Racer

You could by the OEM speaker. The element in the front door cost 30.16$ (Pelican Parts).
Old 09-13-2006, 03:42 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by G53
Thanks also Foto. Ipod deck next on the list!
I have two of the new Alpine decks that have real-time iPod interfaces.

This one is OK (the one I originally put in the Pcar) Alpine 9856

This one is really sweet.. and worth the extra dough IMHO: Alpine 9857

I had the second one put in the Benz.. then decided to swap them since I spend more time in the Pcar these days.. LOL.

OH yeah.. and both decks have this. I've not tried it out yet but I'm thinking of getting one put in the Pcar to see how it works. Toss the cell phone in the glove box with the iPod and take calls through the stereo. Sort of like the original setup on my 500E.. but that setup was done in 1992! (plus the phone was HUGE and analog only.. so it had to go).

Bluetooth Ready
Get Bluetooth in your car with Alpine’s KCA-100BT! Alpine is now one of the first to adapt Bluetooth for use in the car, providing the convenience of hands-free cellular phone use. When you enter your car, Bluetooth immediately establishes a connection between your phone and the head unit. No cables or cradles necessary! When a call comes in, you can listen and talk through your Alpine system. It’s all wireless, no troublesome cables!
Please excuse my geek-out....
Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 PM
DaveK
Race Car

This is a bit from memory, but :

The infinity tweeters stick out more than the stock tweeters. When you take the original tweeters out, you can push the actual tweeter out of the surround (it clips in). The surround is two parts - one on top of the other, and it screws onto it. You have to turn this upside down before screwing it back on - it allows the new (higher) tweeter to still be mounted with the cover screwed over it. It will touch the cover though.

The door speakers also fit straight in. The crossover will go where the original crossover is (behind the door pocket, below the door handle). The rears will also fit - but the original covers take a bit of messing about to fit. They do fit though - with a bit of double sided tape under them.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:22 PM
G53
Advanced

Thanks for your help guys - will investigate!
Old 09-13-2006, 08:04 PM
colo964
Advanced

I have1" dome Blaupunkt tweeters that I glued to the back of the OEM base ring. The 5 1/4's didn't work too well, but the Blaupunkt grill isn't too blingy (unlike their had units - holy schiedt). The soft domes sound way better than OEM by far. They pair well with an 80W amp which is the most power I could find to fit under the pass seat.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:12 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by colo964
.....They pair well with an 80W amp which is the most power I could find to fit under the pass seat.
Can you provide details on the amp upgrade? I am loathe to modify, but the the 40 W amp is wimpy.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:59 AM
G53
Advanced

Colo, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing that the amp installatio was pretty strightforward as the stock amp had all the right wires going into it?

Re the 51/4's - I take it the original grille won't fit over the top?
Old 09-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by G53
Re the 51/4's - I take it the original grille won't fit over the top?
I installed some Infinity Reference speakers in the rear (detailed here) and used the stock grill overtop.

Marc
Old 09-14-2006, 12:31 PM
loot87
Racer

I put in the Polk 6 1/2 component system. I had to take apart the stock tweeters so I could re-use the mount because the Polk was too small in diameter. It was too large to snap right in to the stock mounting bracket though. So I dremelled it out and glued the Polk tweeter in. The old grill screwed right over it.
The 6 1/2s are a different matter though. They did fit in the stock 5 1/4 hole, but the grill covers didn't. I'm using the Polk grill covers now, but they're pretty tacky. Crossover actually had to go in door pocket because they're too big for original location. I need to find some good grills for it.

I used Infinity reference 4x6s in the rear. Not a drop-in replacement like the plate speakers, but the only trick is getting the old grills to stick on. I read about someone dremmeling out the old stock plates to make this work better, too (LeRoux from South Africa?).

Hope that helps.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I put in Focal 130 KP and the tweeter fits within the existing mount but you do have to use part of the existing tweeter as a spacer.

I put infinity plates in the rear and you need to use part of the existing speakers to hold the cover down.

PM me if you want to see some pictures on what you need to do
Old 09-15-2006, 12:29 AM
colo964
Advanced

The only thing that's stays from the OEM amp is the power cable and speaker wires (unless you are ambitious). You'll need an RCA and signal wire to your amp, not that French crap that they had before. If you are using the OEM unit, I'm not sure you can get an adapter for those; may need to splice your own RCA adapters to them.

The red wire is 4.0 mm2 which can carry about 60 amps (about 750W peak). I have a 2 channel Alpine, fits perfectly in the old spot, and my 4x6's run off the head unit. You can get a bigger 4 channel amp but might need to move some under-seat parts around, or settle for less power per channel. You'll need to change your fuse to a higher rating. I assume you have a newer head unit that usually have on-board fuses.

Quick Reply: 964 Speaker upgrade