Sponsored by:

Help 964 cuts out at idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
rjohn@vt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help 964 cuts out at idle

My 1990 C2 is cutting off at idle. The coils are fine and the idle control valve was changed. I hear a click right before it cuts out and there is a small round (about the size of a nickel) spot under the idle area and intake manifolds that turns a half a revolutionjust as it cuts out. Is there some kind of relay? Is this connected to something in the idle area? This little spot sure is hard to get to. Please help. TIA
Old 09-08-2006, 03:17 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

this sounds like what my car did due to a misplugged spark plug wire......believe it or not. the round thing you describe is the resonance valve ....i think.....and is not the cause of the problem but rather a result of the problem. it sounds like you have a missfire/EMI issue causing your ECU to flip out. check your spark plug wires to make sure they are plugged in properly
Old 09-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya rjohn@vt
Total Posts: 1 (0.01 posts per day)

Where are you ?
Old 09-08-2006, 04:48 PM
rjohn@vt
Track Day

Greater Metro New York City
Old 09-08-2006, 04:54 PM
rjohn@vt
Track Day

Originally Posted by dougn
this sounds like what my car did due to a misplugged spark plug wire......believe it or not. the round thing you describe is the resonance valve ....i think.....and is not the cause of the problem but rather a result of the problem. it sounds like you have a missfire/EMI issue causing your ECU to flip out. check your spark plug wires to make sure they are plugged in properly
Doug, Does that meanthe click is caused by the ECU valve? Bob
Old 09-08-2006, 05:19 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

the click (in my experience) was the resonance valve. something was happening with pressure pulses such that the valve would wildly slam open and shut when the engine was acting up. it was weird....it would idle fine for a few seconds then it was like the ignition and or fuel was shut off completely.....and it would die. it would sometimes "turn back on" and catch itself only to die moments later. if you reach behind and put your hand on the rod that operates the resonance valve you can verify this.

in my case, it was nothing to do with the valve however
Old 09-09-2006, 10:11 AM
rjohn@vt
Track Day

The plug wires seem OK. Any other idea? I did change the DME switch, too. This thing just started happening one day to the next. TIA
Old 09-09-2006, 10:13 AM
rjohn@vt
Track Day

Oh, A possibility. If the plug wires are somehow bad??? Would that do it? I watched them in the dark and there was some very faint arcing close to the distributers but only very little.. TIA
Old 09-09-2006, 01:18 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I had what seems to be the same problem as you are having and it also happened overnight. At first, I thought it was the idle stabelising microswitch but it turned out to be the arcing ignition coil (and that was on a newly replaced coil too). I hear a lot of ticks (not the valves) in the coil area and checking in the dark confirms the arcing. Good luck. Andy
Old 09-10-2006, 12:10 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

yes any arcing is bad....and can cause your electronics to freak out.

Quick Reply: Help 964 cuts out at idle