Old 09-09-2006, 09:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Have a look here:

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/variants/confusion.htm

Being in the market, and selling my 993 C2S, I don't find this car interesting simply because I don't want it as a museum piece, I want one to race. I also am lucky to have the first right to one that will be for sale soon.
thanx for the link, very informative.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:38 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
The great thing about the car market .. or any market really ... is that prices are determined by what someone is willing to pay and the price where someone is willing to sell. Good luck buying one in the 60's in this condition. I had 5 people willing to pay in the mid 70's for my car ... but decided not to sell it. I know of two cars that have sold between 75k and 85k in the last two months. For some reason there has been alot of interest in these cars over the past year ... I am not sure why? Maybe people want to race them in D stock class ... I dont know.
I guess I sold you that car too cheap?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:35 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at a Cup car at Rpm Sports Cars last x-mas -- his was in the mid-70s and I just decided not to spring for so much. I've got an RSA with PSS9, Guard LSD, new exhaust, chip. I've wanted a Cup car, and I know they are sought after, but my RSA is really dialed in. I don't know if something like this would be worth it at this point. Maybe one of the Cup car owners can chime in and tell us how Nirvana-like the experience of driving one of these cars can be...
Old 09-09-2006, 10:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jlr
Maybe one of the Cup car owners can chime in and tell us how Nirvana-like the experience of driving one of these cars can be...
I loved (and really miss) my RSA, but the first time out in the (Euro) Cup, but I think the flagger at start/finish could hear me screaming/laughing everytime I went by......still makes me smile everytime I get in.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:48 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

The US Carrera Cups are very different than the RSA. The motor and transmission are different along with better "stocK" suspension. I raced my US Carrera Cup several times and torque off the corners was far superior than the C-2 and many 993s. The seam welded body is very stiff and the handling is wonderful. The lighter weight makes for a power to weight ratio up there with a turbo. I have heard, but can not be guaranteed, all these motors were closer to 300bhp and were all blueprinted at the factory. This makes sense, if you believe Porsche wanted to make a good showing in America when they raced the series, which ofcourse was canceled.

I think for reliable street/track car, these US Cups win hands down.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:25 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubrcr
The US Carrera Cups are very different than the RSA. The motor and transmission are different along with better "stocK" suspension. I raced my US Carrera Cup several times and torque off the corners was far superior than the C-2 and many 993s. The seam welded body is very stiff and the handling is wonderful. The lighter weight makes for a power to weight ratio up there with a turbo. I have heard, but can not be guaranteed, all these motors were closer to 300bhp and were all blueprinted at the factory. This makes sense, if you believe Porsche wanted to make a good showing in America when they raced the series, which ofcourse was canceled.

I think for reliable street/track car, these US Cups win hands down.

Just when I'm leaning one way...

These cars are reasonably priced in relationship to something as a ~$70k Cayman, and resale... First desire, then justification.

Noah
Old 09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlr
Maybe one of the Cup car owners can chime in and tell us how Nirvana-like the experience of driving one of these cars can be...
I have a '92 Euro Cup and it is simply awesome. Ask anyone working on the other side of my headset at the Road America race this past weekend how many times I yelled "I love this car!" into my headset.

They are also capable cars. Bob (fstockcarrera) ran a 2:05.2 in his at the past Watkins Glen race. If you do not know the Glen, check around and you will determine that to be a very stout time. Hell, I hit 2:08s in mine and that is still a very sweet time for a car that Porsche rated at only 260hp...
Old 09-09-2006, 11:36 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by N51
Just when I'm leaning one way...

These cars are reasonably priced in relationship to something as a ~$70k Cayman, and resale... First desire, then justification.

Noah
When you are putting your pro and con list together, put this down, the 964 Cup is harder to master the fine art of driving fast. The car will take you to the limit and when it's time to let go, it will fast. The tail wagging the dog. I personally enjoy the work involved in driving this car around the track. The Cayman, should be an easier car to drive fast, if it's anything like the 996. Not that I want to start a riot here, but I personally feel the 996 cars, including 996 Cup are kind of boring to drive on th track.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:38 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest problem that I see with the 92 cups is the price to performance ratio. For $60K they are awesome. For $80~85K I think that I'd rather have a solid early 996 cup car. They are 5 to 8 seconds faster on most tracks and are really the next step up.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:48 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Larry, I agree about the money, in the $80 range, their are several alternatives. The nice thing about the US Cup, is it uses an RS motor, unlike the GT3 Cup which uses the "true" cup motor. The US Cup is not that wild in it's normal configuration, so the up keep is less. I raced my car two seasons with nothing more than a regular service.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:58 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Jim, You did sell me (and Lewis) great cars! Thank you (and I think I can speak for lewis as well)!
Bob You are correct ... the factory matter cage does add value to the car ... I think the "track cups" are different. The car that is being discusses is the street version with 4200 miles. This is a collector car not a track car. There are not many of these left. The car is worth $$$. The point is the car is worth what somone is willing to pay.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:10 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

When you are putting your pro and con list together, put this down, the 964 Cup is harder to master the fine art of driving fast. The car will take you to the limit and when it's time to let go, it will fast. The tail wagging the dog. I personally enjoy the work involved in driving this car around the track. The Cayman, should be an easier car to drive fast, if it's anything like the 996. Not that I want to start a riot here, but I personally feel the 996 cars, including 996 Cup are kind of boring to drive on th track.
Jim,

Thanks for the added thoughts. But if I fall someday, I'll have this thread bookmarked, just to have the names of those who pushed me.

Noah
PS: Can the Matter cage still be sourced, without selling the north 40?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:12 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The US Cup is not that wild in it's normal configuration, so the up keep is less. I raced my car two seasons with nothing more than a regular service.
I guess that if you include maintenance in the performance to cost ratio, the 92 cup would certainly be logical choice, but there is that something about a 996 cup that makes it worth the added expense, at least in my mind.

BTW the trailer is working great, and I will be at Daytona. Will you be there during the weekend?
Old 09-10-2006, 09:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraCup03
Jim, You did sell me (and Lewis) great cars! Thank you (and I think I can speak for lewis as well)!
Absolutely
One of those 'Kodak' moments...... the arrival of car from Jim:
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...chmentid=98687
Old 09-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
US or Euro Cup?
US Cup, Andial car, converted to Race config by Andial (again) in '92, original owner from '92.

Quick Reply: US Carerra Cup For Sale