Sponsored by:

Fabspeed primary bypass install problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fabspeed primary bypass install problem

Sorry if this is a repeat.. but I did just burn an hour trying various searches looking for related topics. Frustrating part is that I know there is at least one place this was mentioned. Enough applogia.. onto the issue.

Problem:
The flange flares on the fabspeed part are nearly non-existant so it's impossible for me to get a good seal on either the cat or the secondary muffler using the stock steel doughnuts. I pulled the pipe and tried to swap ends to see if that would help.. no better (I had to try... ).

Anyone else run into this issue? Is it possibly unique to 1990 964's? It seems that so many others have installed the pipe without any issues. Why me? (why always me?). I did have another set of eyes and hands look at this tonight as well, they agree. Part is just not 'right'. Maybe the shop ordered the wrong part.. I don't know. Size looks right but the flanges are off. In fact it seems the bracket that holds the pipe up is not manufactured exactly right either, wanting to locate the pipe too low within the car. When fully fitted (with exhaust leaks on both ends but all clamps tight) the exhaust tip is dropped almost 1"! I adjusted it up as far as it wanted to go and it still seems way out of alignment.

Just wondering if anyone has solved this with a trip to the muffler shop to try and expand the flange flares? I'm just about ready to s-can this over-priced section of pipe and have a local shop hack off the ends from the stock muffler and weld a section of straight stainless in between, and add some mounting tabs I can bolt to the car body for support. It's GOTTA cost less than $350.

This is so frustrating..

Last edited by FotoVeloce; 09-07-2006 at 02:30 AM. Reason: some words missing letters.. oops..
Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have no experience with the Fabspeed stuff but I have read similar comments to yours here about the flanges on their wares.

I put a Dansk primary bypass on and, while the flanges were a little smaller than the stock muffler, it was not too great of a struggle to get it to fit well.

Marc
Old 09-07-2006, 11:37 AM
964rh
Pro

The cup pipe I fitted to my car had this issue. Flared ends not meeting up with the silencer or the cat bypass.
I loosened off the cat bypass pipe and the silencer, applied a small amount of exhaust goo to the doughnuts and then tightend everything up. Fits like a dream now with no leaks.

rob
Old 09-07-2006, 11:45 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought a primary pipe 2 months ago and it was not flared..Fabspeed told me to have it flared at a muffler shop...I ended up sending it back and they promptly refunded my money...I suspect these pipes require some end user mods nowadays...I had put two of them on in the past and they fit fine, but this last one diod not fit at all.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:18 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Default Redneck Tech 'Cup' pipe smokes over-priced FabSpeed part.

Well.. I have a primary bypass in place! And a pile of Fabspeed parts in a box ready to go back to whomever 'manufactured' it (and I use that term sarcasticaly).

The local pipe shop put the Fabspeed on the flange tool and started to enlarge it but the metal becan to show sings of cracking WELL before the ID was even close to the OD of the stock steel doughnut. Game over.

At this point I was obviously quite frustrated. In my infinate wisdom (quit laughing) I'd taken the stock muffler to the shop to show them how I wanted the expanded flanges to look. What became painfuly clear was that with a little careful work on the part of the shop they could cut out the muffler, and put in a straight section of pipe. The tricky part would be to keep the connections on each end properly oriented.

Making a long day and story short, the tech made a jig out of some scrap pipe, cut out the muffler, cut and welded in a section of straight pipe. Total cost of this was $60. Maybe more than I thought it would be since it *seemed* simple but it did take some time to fab a crude jig, cut and fit, then finally weld. Regardless.. for a fraction of the cost of the Fabspeed kit ($60 vs. $360 + shipping) I have the same result. Sure it's not as pretty but I'm looking for performance, not beuty. It's exhaust dang it!

Here are side-by-side pics of the FS part and the quick-and-dirty solution.

Best part is that I was able to re-use the stock muffler hanger (with some minor bends) and a 3" diameter clamp they gave me for free at the shope and it's all nice and tight.

I also applied some exhaust goo just to be on the save side but everything lined up (which the Fabspeed never did, regardless of the flange issues) and after 20 min. to re-install, I was on the way to work.

I don't know who forcefully I can express my dissapointment in the Fabspeed product (the last work I again use with heavy sarcasim).

Next.. pre-made secondary muffler replacement or another round of 'back-wood muffler shop fabrication'?
Attached Images  
Old 09-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I put a Dansk primary bypass on and, while the flanges were a little smaller than the stock muffler, it was not too great of a struggle to get it to fit well.
Marc are you running cat, primary, and secondary bypasses now? I've heard this on a Cup car and it sounds great but it was LOUD!

c
Old 09-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Marc are you running cat, primary, and secondary bypasses now? I've heard this on a Cup car and it sounds great but it was LOUD!

c
Nope. I have the Dansk 100 cell cat and a primary bypass but put the secondary back on when I put on the primary bypass. I have not tried both bypasses but have heard that it is a very loud combination (pun intended ).

Marc
Old 09-08-2006, 11:29 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You may have an interest in the Pelican disccusion in the 911 forum....
Old 04-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Litew8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy,
I just moved into the neighborhood. I own the fixer upper by the front gate. The rambler hidden by weeds and color coordinated green tarp. Wow, I love our little community. You all certainly pride your possessions, and definitely display a stable of experience. I am proud to have joined you and until presentable, will only appear at night.

Now head on into the fold.

I am toying with installing a single muffler single outlet replacement to my stock '90 C4 5spd Coupe.
I notice my current set up is no visible from outside the car. Though not being much for polish, I see no need for spending what is required from Chic name brands to achieve the purpose of my planned revision. So, as some have said regarding the primary bypass, a $50-60 local shop made unit suffices.
Why not a $50-100 muffler? (duck)
Here is where I would add subject to influence your response, but go ahead and hit me with your best shot.
Respectfully,
Clark
Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Litew8
Howdy,
I just moved into the neighborhood...

...I notice my current set up is no visible from outside the car. Though not being much for polish, I see no need for spending what is required from Chic name brands to achieve the purpose of my planned revision. So, as some have said regarding the primary bypass, a $50-60 local shop made unit suffices...
Welcome Clark,

I had a muffler shop do the exact same thing FotoVeloce did, cut out the primary muffler. Foto's picture shows it's basically the same thing (as a primary bypass) and I have had no problems with it in the years since. Keeping the stock "ends" meant everything sealed perfectly, so I was happy.

I also don't see the reason to polish the mufflers...how much less would an unpolished cat cost? I need to see my buddy and ask how much a fabricated cat bypass would cost...

Here's a link to a thread with more information and a sound clip: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=19642
Old 04-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Litew8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you 911Jetta.

As another post stated, you're my kinda guy.
Same results, fraction the price.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Thanks Clark!
I try to save where I can...because I'm sure to end up spending it somewhere else on the car.
Udo
Old 04-25-2012, 10:52 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, I have the DANSK cup bypass and the fit & finish is perfect. As far as Fabspeed, I have had experience with their products and all I can say is, I WILL NEVER BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS AGAIN. The stuff looks good, but the quality is absolutely JUNK.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:16 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
FWIW, I have the DANSK cup bypass and the fit & finish is perfect. As far as Fabspeed, I have had experience with their products and all I can say is, I WILL NEVER BUY ANY OF THEIR PRODUCTS AGAIN. The stuff looks good, but the quality is absolutely JUNK.

slight hijack/tangent in progress

Can anyone suggest a good supplier of 200 cell cats in the US? Fabspeed is only 45 minutes from me, and that was my plan 'a'

Quick Reply: Fabspeed primary bypass install problem