Sponsored by:

Locked out! Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:25 AM
zimpwh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked out! Please help.

Today was to be a work day...installing RS door panels, removing old carpet and sound pad for an RS carpet install, etc...Well I managed to lock all my keys inside the car (electric locks and alarm). How do I get it open! Please help.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:42 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I take it that you don't have a spare set of keys available? If not and you have time, I would suggest calling the local Porsche dealership to order a couple replacement keys. Another option would be to call a locksmith. I'm not sure how successful this second option would be since Porsches are not common vehicles and the local locksmith may not be familiar with the 964. Either way, I'm sure you will get the car open. Good luck.

FWIW, I keep a plastic emergency key in my wallet for these situations. Fortunately, in the 14 years of ownership, I've only had to use it once. I purchased the plastic key blank from Automotion (no affiliation) and then had my local key shop cut the key to match.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:45 AM
zimpwh
Instructor

Can the dealer order keys off the VIN #? I'm sure the original locks are in place.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 AM
TCallas
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are definitely in a pickle. Passenger door closed on you? I would grab all the 911 keys you can get your hands on, eventually another one will work enough to get the door open. Call all your friends and try their keys. Does it have an aftermarket alarm with remote? If so, maybe a local alarm/stero shop can help? Maybe your mechanics emergency number and last, a locksmith. Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 PM
zimpwh
Instructor

Porsche alarm. Luckily it is in my garage and I have another daily ride...I suppose I'll go the dealer route after the holiday.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:58 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I take it you guys in the states don't have windscreen insurance?

kevin.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:10 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

What rotten luck!

My alarm locks the car again if I don't start the engine within 2 minutes of unlocking it. I just hate that function!!!

Last summer my dad and I were on our way back to Madrid after a long and tiring weekend at Le Mans. We stopped to re-fuel at a petrol station in the middle of nowhere. Just as we got into the car, I decided to buy a couple of ice creams, left the keys in the ignition and walked back to the shop.

Suddenly, I realize that my dad is walking behind me.... and it dawns on me what is about to happen. Just as I begin to scream we hear the car go "clonk!" We are locked out.

I called my wrench and was told that Porsches are very hard to break into... great!

Not wanting to break a window, we had to get a taxi to drive us 200 km to Madrid to pick up a spare key at home.

Oh, yes! We also realised that the keys for my flat were in the car....., so we also had to hunt down my maid to get a set of keys to get into my place....

Trust me, we cursed that alarm for a long time after....
Old 09-03-2006, 04:16 PM
964rh
Pro

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Can I take it you guys in the states don't have windscreen insurance?

kevin.

£60 job done, keys back and a shiny new windscreen!!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Peter Badore
Advanced

Porsche does have an overnight key service for the 964. For my 92 C4 two new keys were sent by Fed Ex overnight after the VIN and a copy of the title were faxed to a Porsche dealership. I am not sure if earlier model year 964s are covered by the VIN key lock service. I think they might be. However, the Porsche key service is far from perfect. On my 92 968 I paid Advantage Porsche for a new set of keys for a car I bought at an insurance auction without keys. The keys were cut by the Porsche parts depot servicing Texas and sent to me. Both keys were the correct code but were cut incorrectly about half a position off. I could not get Advantage to correct the error or acknowledge their problem (in writing and by telephone) but their parts department did give me the correct key code. Then I had a local locksmith cut the key from an aftermarket key blank which workrd correctly. As for the 911 this is a very hard key to made by impressioning a blank in the lock cylinder.
If I remember correctly the 911 key has 10 positions with each position having 4 cut heights. I had three different "expert" locksmiths try to made a key for my 92 C4 before one succeded ( I have about 20 blanks cut incorrectly). Again the Porsche lock service was of no value because the lock service only has the original key code in their files. My C4 had its ignition lock and key replaced by a new set of non-stipulated keys (not the same key code as the original) so the keys provided by the key service only worked on the door lock cylinder which had not been changed. Good luck and the suggestion to have a plastic wallet key is a very good one.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:07 AM
zimpwh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peter Badore
Porsche does have an overnight key service for the 964. For my 92 C4 two new keys were sent by Fed Ex overnight after the VIN and a copy of the title were faxed to a Porsche dealership.
Thanks for the info. I will go to the dealership Tuesday.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:08 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by zimpwh
I will go to the dealership Tuesday.
Your other option is to pull the emergency front trunk release cable that is located in the left front fender, pop the hood and then disconnect the battery. Without power the stock 964 doors will automatically unlock. If your model year does not have the emergency trunk release then call AAA or the equivalent. There is a special "slim jim" for Porsche 911s that allows them to open the doors in less than 10 seconds.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:18 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got into my old SC by pulling out the rear quarter glass. Once you pull out the window moulding, the glass will pry out. The window moulding is actually expanding the rubber seal, therefore keeping it in place. If you work slowly, the mouldings will have a slight bend which will straighten out.

You can also use the same process with the front windshield. Just get a glass guy to help you.

When I had my dealer order me fresh set of keys, It took the better part of a full week to get the keys. They had to come from Germany and I think they cost around $65 each ( that was a few years ago).

Good luck.
Colin
Old 09-05-2006, 03:31 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin 90 C2
I got into my old SC by pulling out the rear quarter glass.
The one issue with using this method on the 964 is that the windshield, rear window and rear quarter glass are all bonded to the body with adhesive. So if you go this route you will need new seals and when cutting out the old seal you will most likely scratch the paint requiring you to lay down some primer, etc.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

Years ago I was looking to purchase an SC, the seller locked the keys in the car with the engine running, I was driving a 72 Celica at the time and I thought I'd try my key - guess what it opened it! Try a coat hanger?

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 09-05-2006, 03:10 PM
zimpwh
Instructor

Went to my local dealer today. I bit the bullet for a new key to be made from my VIN...get this $241.00 for a basic no frills key (three to four day wait...no 24 hr service available) and no PCA discount. He said it was cheaper than getting a glass man to pull a window pane, replace and reseal (car is in my garage). Be fore warned...cheaper to buy a bunch of key blanks and have a locksmith cut them.

Quick Reply: Locked out! Please help.