Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on finding the right 964!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:43 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers are in business to make money. They do so by buying a car at $x and adding their profit margin of $y to arrive at a selling price of $z (how's that for algebra!). I wouldn't rule out a dealer IF that dealer had exactly the car you were seeking (get a PPI done) AND you got it for a fair price. But if its a dealer, the end negotiated price will be barely fair at best.

But in general, your best bet is to patiently and actively search your local PCA club network for an individual enthusiast who is selling his well maintained car so that he can upgrade to that turbo he's always wanted. Make it known that you are looking. It may trigger someone who has not yet advertised their car but has been thinking about it to contact you. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:06 PM
tafkai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
....? I offered to sell him a stack of service records I had from one of my old cars.

why ???
stinks of hypocrisy to me !

its like moaning about unscrupulous people selling ringers , then offering them a bent vin .
Old 08-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Barry the problem with one particular often questioned dealer is that he's been known to buy stamped service books off of eBay, and that same dealer uses several ebay names to buy things yet only one to sell. Now I dont know that he's putting them in cars he's selling but....?
Ah yes, I remember hearing that before - and I think I said that IF (speaking hypothetically here ) anyone were actually doing that, it's obvious fraud and anyone would be a fool to deal with that person or dealership. And that's another reason why this list is such a great thing.

Again, some dealers have been mentioned to have relationships with near by shops too.
That's one of the things that makes it hard to do business long-distance. Another good use for this list.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

tafkai... I guess the sarcasm does not read well.... Any records for all my old cars went along to the next owners. I think I’ve mentioned that in ½ a dozen other posts on this very same topic. But the purchase of stamped service books off of eBay is a fact.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:52 PM
tafkai

sorry mate , i stand corrected .
you should have used a winky !!!
thats the problem with cyber-world , no emotion in the written text .
Old 08-27-2006, 06:00 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

......and that same dealer uses several ebay names to buy things yet only one to sell. .............just be sure of a true independent PPI. Again, some dealers have been mentioned to have relationships with near by shops too.
I've heard that if you buy on Ebay the guy will do backflips to maintain his 100% rating. However, you will pay a premium as his reserves are very high. If you don't buy through Ebay, it isn't as solid.

I've also heard said dealer reportedly has a close relationship with an "independant" shop nearby in Texas.

Admittedly all hearsay at this point, but I would be wary. Again, stick with private parties moving up or out. PPI. Records.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

No harm done, I am not savvy enough with the puter to figure out those icons and surely not savvy or devious enough to swap VIN numbers.... I’ll work on getting my sarcasm across better.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:07 PM
tafkai

he he he !!!
is a smile
is a wink .

btw (by the way) you spelt poota wrong
Old 08-27-2006, 06:08 PM
tafkai

dohhhh , that didnt work too well

; ) without the space gives you a wink
: ) gives you a smile
Old 08-27-2006, 06:09 PM
tafkai

: ( gives you a sad face
Old 08-27-2006, 06:09 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

I believe the owner of that dealer chimed in about his eBay rep on this board and the others a few times. Seems that anyone who leaves a negative feedback on eBay is somehow compensated and retracts the negative feedback. There are or were a bunch of retractions on his record... He was also accused of posting under a couple of other names on this board as well as pelican and road fly, posing as a satisfied customer. It looked pretty obvious to all who read those posts what was going on but, as pointed out this is hearsay. With so many incidents I’d have to be pretty smitten with a car he’s got offered to consider it.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:20 PM
tafkai

off topic , but i had a run-in with an ebay scammer last night / this morning .

i fancy a change of alloys on the 540 , so was looking for a shop selling replica m5 or alpina wheels and tyres .

i came across a set of genuine alpina 18" , he asked that you dont bid , but email him to arrange a buy it now price of 320 inc. but he said the wheels are in nottingham .so i asked the seller to phone me as its quicker than email , as i was thinking of making an offer without delivery and picking up/paying cash today , as i go back to belgium tommorow .
he didnt phone , but emailed back this morning saying i should western union 320 to his address in london .
alarm bells rung , so i asked him more about it . he then gave me a business lesson on how customer satisfaction is the key to good business , and that it doesnt matter how you snare the customer as long as they get a good deal . he also admitted that ebay cancel his ads because he puts his email address in them .

he gave him a little business / ebay advice . then asked again if i could pick up / pay cash in nottingham .
he replied that he doesnt deal in cash !!!!

by this time i was rolling on the floor

i checked his 12 feedbacks ...... hes done the classic "buy a load of cheap**** items , get good feedback , let the account go quiet until the feedback links to items no longer valid , then start scamming " trick .

he finally asked me if i wanted to go ahead with the deal !!!!

pity really , as they'd suit my car

Quick Reply: Thoughts on finding the right 964!