Sponsored by:

Bridgestone SO-2 (A?) which one

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:01 AM
964Patrick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bridgestone SO-2 (A?) which one

Time has come for me to change my tires! Something for me to get excited about because.... I just bought a set of original Cup2 rims! (yes, I will post pics when it's on the car ) The old D90 are destined for winter tires now.

Now here's the question:
I've decided to go for Bridgestone tires based on good experience by others who I trust their judgement. However... I can get the SO-2 tires, aswell as the SO-2A ones.

What's the difference between the two? Anyone willing to share their thoughts/opinion?

I'm sure this has been debated in the past but search came up empty.

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 08-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Someone else will chime in... I can only give you the specs of the ones I just got:

Front: Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A 205/50ZR17 N4 (Porsche OE)
Rear: Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A 255/40ZR17 N4 (Porsche OE)

I did not notice the S-02A vs S-02, crap! I believe the difference is in the thread pattern. But I don't have a photo to show it...

Let me checked the Bridgestone website to see if they call out the differences?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Newbium
Intermediate

I currently have the S-02 A. Previous tires were S-02s (which I believe are no longer available). The S-02 A seems quieter as the tires wear down. Thread life isn't too good on either one (around 10K), but that's to be expected. Overall, the S-02 A is a pretty decent tire, wet or dry.

I just bought a set of S-03s from Tirerack on a closeout sale, and saved about $300 from the cost of replacing the S02 A. We'll see if like them as much as the S-02 A.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:28 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a new set of S-02's on my Targa on 16" Cup 1 wheels. They handle and brake great - Much improvement over the Contis that were on there. Here's a couple of pics for tread comparison if someone else will post a pic of their S-02A's.

Steve
Attached Images    
Old 08-23-2006, 06:03 AM
Dick964
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same tires as Steve. Very good tires indeed, good handling, braking, etc.

Only one thing I don't like is the wear pattern: at the left and right side the profile is not as deep as in the middle of the tire.
That is the same with some other brands but the disadvantage is that sometimes the profile at the side is not deep enough to pass the yearly MOT (APK as we call it here in Holland...), this while the tire has plenty of profile left in the middel of the tire !!

gr.

Dick964
Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 PM
964Patrick
Instructor

Thanks for the replies, based on your comments the newer SO-2A is probably a safe bet i guess. So that's what it's going to be.

Jaime, I checked the website but it doesn't give any info over the differences between the two tires. Info on the old SO-2 is even more limited, I guess cause they are phasing that one out.

Steve, I'm also running conti on 16" right now. Not too happy with them, but they need to be replaced anyway. Nice of you to post pics, that's a good looking 964 btw!

Dick964, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your tires and what did you pay for them?

Thanks all, I appreciate your input.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Hiya Dick964
"this while the tire has plenty of profile left in the middel of the tire !!"
It sounds like you need more psi and or bar in your tires , under inflation causes the outsides to wear out faster , over inflation causes the center to wear faster .
Old 08-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...10&sortValue=1
Old 08-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

We're sorry. We closed your session for your security/privacy.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:49 AM
Dick964
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

@ Patrick964: I always order my tires at www.autobandenmarkt.nl , really cheap. But yoy have to find a good shop which will fit the new tires. At the website thy also give a list of shops that will cooperate. I paid €105,- each for fronttires.

@ Indycam: No, I'm sure there is enough air in my tires (checking it weekly). Maybe my way of cornering is to blame

Dick964
Old 08-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

@ Dick964
"No, I'm sure there is enough air in my tires (checking it weekly). "
Even if you check it every day , if the psi / bar # you inflate the tire to , is a little low , the edges wear out faster than the middel .
If you run X psi / bar in your tire and the edges wear faster , you need to put in more air to get the tire to wear evenly .
Every tire / car combo is going to take its own inflation # . One set # is not going to work for all combos . The # recomended by porsche is just a starting point . Check the wear and adjust as needed .

http://www.motortrend.com/features/c...ire_inflation/
http://www.goodyeartires.com/kyt/maintaningATire/
http://www.kaltire.com/commercial/me...s/shoulder.php
http://www.carcare.org/Tires_Wheels/tread.shtml

"Maybe my way of cornering is to blame"
I don't think that could be .

Quick Reply: Bridgestone SO-2 (A?) which one