Sponsored by:

OT : Anybody use Origin B2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT : Anybody use Origin B2?

I have an Origin Blue i. It works perfectly well and I've been happy with it (except that it never tells me about speed cameras in roadworks).

However - I've been very lazy about updating the database and when I tried a few weeks ago, it failed (even though I am susbscribed). I've tried several times since and it won't update - it connects, syncs and then immediately disconnects.

It's out of warranty and Origin want me to send it back with a £25 charge "if they can fix it".

I am actually slightly cynical - I think it would behave this way if I hadn't subscribed - and Origin are pushing upgrades at the moment (I can upgrade to a B2 for £180) and part of me wonders if they've done something at their end to make me more likely to buy a new one. But surely not......

Anyway - has anybody got a B2 and are they any good? I am tempted to switch to Road Angel since I know that's popular and I'd like radar detection, but I figure the Origin Blue was OK, so B2 probably would be too.....
Old 08-24-2006, 08:46 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Dave,

It doesn't have radar detection but the Navigator 6000 from Road Angel is excellent. I got mine at the Goodwood FOS and its worked very well. It's great value given that you get a good sat nav and decent speed camera locator thing for £250!

Cheers,

David
Old 08-24-2006, 08:49 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dave, do a search on my name and 'Origin'.

I had loads of trouble with a B2. In the end, Origin decided it's not compatible with the 964.

In brief - it kept giving false laser alerts, the buttons rattled annoyingly and Origin proved to be a waste of space.

My advice: just say 'No'.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:00 AM
DaveK
Race Car

David - Navigation isn't really a selling point - already got a PDA with satnav which I move between cars.

John - Hmm, I vaguely recall that thread actually. My Origin broke once before (speaker died) and they were very good at fixing it, but I do think the fact that it's broken (again) is not a good justification from buying a new one from them. So what do you have now? Or do you stick to the speed limit........
Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Road Angel wireless version (and you can plug in also if battery runs out). I think it cost £250-300. I have been pleased.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:29 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by DaveK
David - Navigation isn't really a selling point - already got a PDA with satnav which I move between cars.

John - Hmm, I vaguely recall that thread actually. My Origin broke once before (speaker died) and they were very good at fixing it, but I do think the fact that it's broken (again) is not a good justification from buying a new one from them. So what do you have now? Or do you stick to the speed limit........
I've got a Road Angel Compact. Or rather my friend Brian (aka the Blue Shadow) has it - don't ask: it's a l--o--n--g story.

What I actually use is a TomTom Go 300 with camera sites from PocketGPSworld.com - the best camera database I know of. You could add this database to your PDA's nav software, I expect.

Quick Reply: OT : Anybody use Origin B2?