Sponsored by:

Monday morning recovery

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 08:13 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday morning recovery

Well,, went to ALMS yesterday at Road America. Let me say; LOTS OF FREAKIN WALKING!!!!! The track itself is 4 miles, and if you walk the perimeter, it all that and maybe another mile. Mind you it's not a flat track either. Alex, my son, and I went and had a blast. Lots of people there, and lots of fantastic cars. We, well I, really wanted to see the RS Spyder in action, and boy did we. We got there early enough to catch the morning practice session. The Spyder is LOUD!!!!!! It was great to see it in action.

Alex has started a collection of sorts; he had his picture taken with all the Grid Girls he could find He even got goosed by one of 'em He'll have a memory for a lifetime, which is what Father-Son moments are supposed to be about, right?

We did do car stuff too. We did the tour session before the major festivities kicked in; I think we got in 6 or 7 laps around the track. I know I hit 90 in a few spots. There was an F40 behind me; he just couldn't keep up Another memory Alex will have for the rest of his life.

I'll post pics; I have over 300 to sort thru.

So what did you do this weekend?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

I did the DIY clutch this weekend. I had all the tell-tale signs: heavy pedal, the "squeak", very high engagement point, but no slipping. 55K miles on it. When we finally got to the disc it was worn to the rivets and just slightly past. Luckily the flywheel wasn't damaged. The pedal is so light now I can't believe it and the engagement point is much closer to the floor. I kept the "while you're in there" list to a minimum, just the slave and hose.
Thanks to the friends that helped me and also to RLers Garrett Guess, Chris Walrod, Chance Casey, Jason Andreas, and any others I've forgotten for answering my endless PMs. It would not have happened if not for all their help.

c
Old 08-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sheesh.. I worked all weekend. One of my managers is on vacation so I'm filling in for the week. I was going to try to wash my spoiled little car but the only time I had to do it.... It was raining!

I did have a little time to finish some electronics projects I have been working on. I have two Nixie clock kits (NOS tubes of Russian manufacture that can be used to show the time) I don't know why they captivate me so much... I'm sure it's part that and just soldering stuff again. I used to build all sorts of stuff when I was a kid. My Dad was a electronics expert... Luckily... A little bit of his knowledge (Just a small bit) rubbed off on me.

The good news is that the PCMCIA to serial adapter should be here today!

I'll know by this afternoon if the interface that I built for the car works. I'll post results in the other thread.

Geoff... Sounds like you had a blast... I can hardly wait to see the pics! Let's see those Grid Girls!

Old 08-21-2006, 09:33 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I drove the car down to Miami to help move my nephew into the U of M. Oh to be 18 again They sure didnt make the ladies like that in my college days.
This is one of those time that having a TIP was a real blessing. The traffic down there was horrible and I think just about every road in the city is torn up for construction. Took a drive to Southbeach to check out the scenery but as soon as I got down to the water the tropical monsoon for the day started
Car ran great but the trip back was a bit tuff when the interstate was flooded in a few places around Ft. Lauderdale. I was real happy to average 25.7 mpg on the OB computer between 75-80 mph on the turnpike.
Did they sell any color except grey/silver 996, 997's, Boxsters or Cayenns down there??
Old 08-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Since I do not enought debt... I might as well help the national average

Buying a 2002 996TT - Help!!

Spent the weekend finishing the install of the floor tiles in my brother's house. Not much done with the car or the buggy.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:17 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Since I do not enought debt... I might as well help the national average

Buying a 2002 996TT - Help!!

Spent the weekend finishing the install of the floor tiles in my brother's house. Not much done with the car or the buggy.
Congrats jaime. Is the car over at the local Maitland dealer? If its still there maybe I will cruise by and check it out this evening.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:23 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Bought my $2.21 Oil Sender unit O-ring!.............................Now to find time to disassemble half of the engine!
Old 08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
KY-91C2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned that I really need to check my belts more often. Went to a local SCCA autocross yesterday, and blew out the fan belt out on my first run. I know that the belts were a bit worn. I was able to drive the car 20 or so miles home without the temp gage getting above the nine o'clock position.

The brighter side is that I finished putting up trim in the garage, and finished painting it. So now with the floor coated, cabinets installed, and the rest of the finishing touches done, I can start moving tools back in and then work on the cars!

Ron
91 C2 Cabriolet
85.5 944 NA

Last edited by KY-91C2; 08-21-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 12:04 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Congrats jaime. Is the car over at the local Maitland dealer? If its still there maybe I will cruise by and check it out this evening.
Is there... still working out the deal... we seem to be stuck...
Old 08-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Wow Jamie, congratulations! Don't forget the pics when you get it home!

c
Old 08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Guys!!! Look at my signature!!! Wooohooooo!!!!!! Going to pick it up this Thursday!!!

Pictures to be posted Thursday night
Old 08-21-2006, 05:07 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Is it still on the lot? As black as the sky is right now sure hope it doesnt hail
Congrats. I am ready for a test ride
Old 08-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Is it still on the lot? As black as the sky is right now sure hope it doesnt hail

I will let you know when it is in so you can take it for a spool, I mean spin
Old 08-21-2006, 07:27 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dayuuuum Jaime. I wish I was coming to FL instead of CA for that conference.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:50 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Like Geoff said Dayaaaaaaaam Jaime! That is one beautiful classy looking car. I bet that sold sign hanging from the mirror is keeping you up looking for mods tonite. Only flaw I could see was the slight ding in the right front fender and the funky front spoiler. Couldnt really see what you were talking about on the light lense but then again i didnt have my glasses on. Look almost as new! That light grey interior is real nice to. You need to lose that whimpy rear spoiler and put a proper TURBO tail on The dealer was closed so couldnt take it out on a proper test drive for you

Quick Reply: Monday morning recovery