Sponsored by:

to monoball or not to monoball

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 12:08 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to monoball or not to monoball

I'm in the midst of an upgrade festival for my 93 RSA. Recently had a PSS9 installed, exhaust, guard LSD. In the near future, probably brakes. Now, I'm thinking of monoball suspension mounts. I'm a steering feel junkie, so it seems a reasonable upgrade; however, a parts supplier advised me against doing the rear, or even the front control arms unless my car was dedicated to the track. He advised monoballs only on at the top of the strut tower/camber plate, saying that monoballs all the way around would be too jarring and unstreetable. I do a few track days a year, but this is mainly a street car. Ideas welcome, especially those with experience driving a 964 with monoballs. Also, wondering if polyurethane would be a good compromise between the rubber and monoball.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First, once you go from the rubber bushings to anything else, you cannot go back without replacing the entire suspension arm (front or rear). I have used poly bushings in the past but been unimpressed with their longevity and they tend to make noise which I don't like. The monoballs are great, they increase the turn in feel of the car and makes the car feel more responsive. If you are ever a passenger in a car on the track, take a look at the rear wheel of the cars in front of you. A car with rubber bushings will tend to have the wheel/tire move noticably as the bushing is deflected. A car with a Monoball will have much much less deflection. However, if it were me, I would not install monoballs in a primarily street driven car.

Quick Reply: to monoball or not to monoball