Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964RS to get the first 9m 4.0 litre race engine....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 06:47 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

At last, photos of the engine build and installation......

We have here:

1. Stroker crank (80.0mm) with the new 9m/4T connecting rod (130mm centres), note the reverse bolt design and radiused cap

2. Open case with crank & aux shaft laid in and standard GT3R oil pump which does not require machining for conrod clearance, even with the greater throw of the crank.

3. Installation of 103mm 9m Racing slipper pistons & cylinders

4. Engine bay, intake system shown with longer trumpets and airfilters removed. The new 9m prototype throttle control converts the pull of the stock cable to twin cables with the correct pull for the bodies.

5. Rear of car on dyno, bumper off to fit headers. Note the grid in the floor under the rear of the dyno to extract hot air.

So, there you have it.

Tony, I do have a demonstrator in the form of a big yellow 993RS CS that is currently competing in the Porsche Club Speed Championship (8 wins from 8 so far this season). OK it's only a 3.82 at the moment (but it will be upped to 4.0 litres as soon as the season is finished) but if you want to sample the 0-150 in 20 seconds performance you only have to ask!
Attached Images      
Old 08-15-2006, 09:10 PM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Work of art. Well done Colin.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

So what does a N/A 4.0 LTR enginge cost? $15KUS? $20K US? Would be good to knw if any of us that have more $$ than brains (I'm in that club BTW) want to start playing....
Old 08-16-2006, 05:29 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Colin,

I'll print off that last post and come and claim my drive! As always, your work looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing. As soon as I have some disposable and sufficient good behaviour credits with the wife I'll be in touch!

Cheers,

David
Old 08-16-2006, 05:39 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You can build a 4.0 litre with just the 9m bottom end components of course:
Billet Steel Crank £3500
Steel rods £1950
103 piston & cylinder set £3450

However to achieve the power of this engine you will also need our cylinder head package:
Billet cylinder head set
Stainless/nimonic valve set
Valve Spring/titanium retainer set
Race camshafts
...which comes as a package price of £5995.

The finishing touches are engine management (motec in this case - around £2500), 9m intake system (approx £2000) and now for obvious reasons a header set of some description.

If you are going to build the engine to the ultimate spec (like Geoffrey has documented with his recent Rennlist 964 engine build) then you also need to allow for:
GT3 oil pump
Head stud set
Lightweight rockers
Case machining (109mm spigots + windage cutouts - we CNC machine these)
plus the usual bearings, chains and gaskets.

As far as I can see the only parts that exceeds the cost of equivalent Porsche motorsport parts is the crank, thus building a core engine similar to this one will run up a parts bill of around £15-20k depending on spec, which is roughly on a par with a 30 hour rebuild of a GT2 race engine. That said (depending on sales) we expect the price of the crank and rods may fall a little as we bring up production numbers (they are a direct fit into the GT3/GT2 engines) whereas the head prices are pretty much fixed (although we are swallowing material price hikes of the 2618 alloy at the moment).

All prices exclude shipping and taxes.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:43 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AVoyvoda
Work of art. Well done Colin.

Just wait to see what we have planned for the next one....
Old 08-16-2006, 12:33 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

(my jaw hits the floor). Now we just need some of this kit in the states! Any word on partnering here Colin?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 PM
'95 993
Instructor

Colin gave me a ride in his yellow demostrator when we were doing standing start runs for the Total 911 article (on billet heads) and all i can say is OH MY GOD, it beats anyfairground ride I have ever been on simply , truly scarily awesome.

Colin, do you reckon equal length headers will liberate more power on my billet head engine based on your experience with the 964 engine?

And no I am not ready to pony up for the 4.0l conversion (yet) - 350 BHP and 425 nm of torque is still staisfying me on my 993 at the moment :-)

Cheers

John

(did I read right that you also won at goodwood the other day - congrats, John P said you were a full 4 seconds quicker round Castle combe than his very tasty 993 RS)
Old 08-16-2006, 07:49 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by '95 993
Colin gave me a ride in his yellow demostrator when we were doing standing start runs for the Total 911 article (on billet heads) and all i can say is OH MY GOD, it beats anyfairground ride I have ever been on simply , truly scarily awesome.

Colin, do you reckon equal length headers will liberate more power on my billet head engine based on your experience with the 964 engine?

And no I am not ready to pony up for the 4.0l conversion (yet) - 350 BHP and 425 nm of torque is still staisfying me on my 993 at the moment :-)

Cheers

John

(did I read right that you also won at goodwood the other day - congrats, John P said you were a full 4 seconds quicker round Castle combe than his very tasty 993 RS)

You are right, my RSCS is pretty much in a league of its own with the current 3.8 version of this engine, but given that the new 4.0 is 50Nm stonger from 4000 to 7000rpm than my current engine it will not be long before it receives a few extra cc's - would be rude not to methinks.

Thanks, Goodwood was my 8th straight win with a 4.5 second winning margin, so nearly got another FTD (Prescott hillclimb was my first this year) but for one Van Diemen RF96 single seater with a fast local driver, although I did manage to beat the likes of 7 litre GT40's, Dodge Vipers, Caterham SLR, Radical, Skylines, Westfield GT/SEiW & others, most of which ran slicks against my List 1B road legals. Tee Hee.

If I get chance I intend to compare the 4.0 litre performance with 993 heat exchangers and my 100cell N-GT system, I doubt that we make more power so the secret will be how much we lose running through cats. I think that this is pointing me down the road to try a different exhaust on our 964RS Motec & Motec+1 packages, although I suspect that there would not be major gains on the 993+2 it may be worth a try at some time so if these old 3.2 headers will fit my RS I will definitely arrange a retest with your's or Robin's just to find out.

Incidentally we have just had an order confirmation for the first 993+4 conversion, this is the same package as yours but with the new 9m 102mm pistons & cylinders (+3 is 100mm pistons in stock barrels), keep a lookout on the 993 board in a few weeks time for the results!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:55 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kgorman
(my jaw hits the floor). Now we just need some of this kit in the states! Any word on partnering here Colin?

Yes, we have a couple of shops in mind but nothing firm as yet.

What I haven't stressed is that these parts just bolt together, aside from the CNC machining we do in the crankcases (windage, shuffle pins, spigot bores & seals - not exactly top secret stuff) there is other machining required so any decent 911 engine technicial could build one.

The secret to getting the best from the engine is definitely in the mapping of the ecu, for obvious reasons we tend to choose Motec. Of course Geoffrey is the man to use on the East Coast since he already has first hand experience of our components and has forgotten more than I will ever know about mapping, but I dare say there are others for those too far from NY.

PS short trumpets refitted today - and another minor gain found as the power crept up to 444.8bhp with a flatter torque throughout. We have a small issue at the moment preventing us from running the engine up to the proposed 8000 redline, but once this is resolved we will definitely see over 450bhp.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:42 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Thx Colin.

Any chance of a video/sound clip of those dyno runs?
Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So what would it cost for one of these engines (complete with harness, motec box etc.) show up in a crate in California?

A pity the greenback isn't well matched to the pound these days. Does 9m have any sister or licensee company in the USA?

I see you have an RS pulley on there. Have you tested for hp gains from parasitic loss such as the v-belt drive replaced by a serpentine belt? or using a lighter, smaller, matched pair of alternator/fan and crank pulley? Do you use any sort of "trick" alternator to reduce or declutch at WOT for example? This all might sound a bit "orthogonal" to this engine development but once you've extracted 440bhp an air-cooled boxer, you're approaching theoretical limits and so internal loss (such as the radius caps to clear the casing, also reducing reciprocating mass and leverage) is a final "add lightness" element to the design.

I was scanning through some notes on boat engine design recently and noted that a particularly beefy reduction gearbox could absorb 1500hp but would output 1200hp at rated 4000rpm ... 20% for a single reduction at those drive load limits. Yikes! Have you calculated drive-line loss for the transaxle absorbing this engine or are you using averages? I have to wonder if an efficient gear box wouldn't be the next step to delivering more of those neddies to the patch.

What is the time between maintenance on this engine? Does the valve-train or other components require special attention?

This engine inspires me to renew my efforts to find a sunroof delete 993. Congratulations on a wonderful achievement.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:47 AM
'95 993
Instructor

Colin,

Thanks. Keep me updated on the 993 + 4 package results as Xmas isn't too far away and I know what I want on my list, plus my car will have withdrawal syptoms if it not back at Warrington for the new year

I must have given 4 - 5 people hot laps at Bedford on the recent PCGB track day. Your conversions are generating so much interest.

If any UK rennlisters want an on track demo of the 993 +2 then pm me or come up and say Hi and I will happily take you out for a run.

If any GT3 owners want a demo then I will be in front dissapearing into the distance

Keep up the good work

John
Old 08-17-2006, 04:21 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Carrera GT

You raise some interesting points. I suspect the issue is that you get to the point of seriously diminishing returns and unless you are racing and need to find that last bit, trick alternators and stuff like that just don't give the right $$$/hp pay off.

However, I am really interested in your second concept, namely how to reduce losses between flywheel and the road. What %age could be saved and at what cost? I suspect cost is where the problem lies. If you were able to reduce losses from, say, 20% to (????) 15%(?) you gain 22-25 bhp but at what cost?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:02 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

I've just checked and sadly we don't have a drooling icon! Shame...

Quick Reply: 964RS to get the first 9m 4.0 litre race engine....