Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 964 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006 | 08:20 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Default 1990 964 Coupe?

I found this black 1990 964 Coupe in Xenia OH. Pics show a nice car. Are there any problem areas with the 1990 964s? I've read about the dual-mass flywheel problems, with the early 964s, but are there any engine-related issues? Does $26K seem right with 65K miles? Were all 964s equipped with 3.6-L motors? Sorry for the noob Qs.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TAFSRCHUSDTEXT
Old 08-01-2006 | 08:33 PM
nekbet
Instructor

It might be the same one this guy is looking at -
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/289781-ppi-in-dayton-or-cincinnati.html

Maybe email him and see, and consolidate on a PPI!

Anyhow - I'm about 15 mins from Xenia (in Dayton) if you'd like someone to check it out. I just cant get my targa too close as they might mate or something :-) Same rims, same year, same color inside, same color outside... yeesh!

-Mike
1990 964 C4 Targa
Old 08-01-2006 | 09:01 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

From: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Nice rig. What's up with the yellow fan?

Hope there's a little cushion in the price. But maybe that's for the "aggressive sound"?
Old 08-01-2006 | 09:04 PM
BostonU
Advanced

Sleeprm3,

I know that car when I used to be in the Ohio Valley Region. The car used to go to a lot of PCA AutoX events. He has done a lot of engine mods. Fabspeed dual exhaust, fabspeed euro pre-muffler, engine reseal with yellow valve covers, from the picture yellow fan. Send me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers and talk about the car. BTW, the car sounds great!

Bostonu
Old 08-01-2006 | 09:38 PM
993inNC
Race Car

For 2 more dollars, go find a 95 993, you can find them usually for mid 20's when they have a couple miles on them. You get a better car and with more HP
Old 08-02-2006 | 12:25 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Some '89, '90 and '91 models suffered from a cylinder to head oil leak. Many cars didn't get this leak. Some were fixed while under warranty and some cars have had the repair work done by prior owners. It's a relatively rare leak, but still should be checked for in an inspection or PPI. There is a permanent and reliable repair for this leak.

If it's mint, bone stock (or has the exact upgrades you are looking for), and has no issues (present or looming) it could be worth in the mid '20's. Prices are a bit up. We're seeing prices get close to $30k for 964's again for low mileage, mint cars.

The dual distributor belt should also be changed every 50,000 miles or 5-10 years for preventative maintenance. If a 964 doesn't have a distributor vent kit (this one seems to have it), then fitting that $15 kit is good to do.

Cars that have issues and are showing lots of wear won't get to $26k, especially for an early 964.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 08-02-2006 | 08:11 AM
SleepRM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Jay H
Some '89, '90 and '91 models suffered from a cylinder to head oil leak. Many cars didn't get this leak. Some were fixed while under warranty and some cars have had the repair work done by prior owners. It's a relatively rare leak, but still should be checked for in an inspection or PPI. There is a permanent and reliable repair for this leak.

If it's mint, bone stock (or has the exact upgrades you are looking for), and has no issues (present or looming) it could be worth in the mid '20's. Prices are a bit up. We're seeing prices get close to $30k for 964's again for low mileage, mint cars.

The dual distributor belt should also be changed every 50,000 miles or 5-10 years for preventative maintenance. If a 964 doesn't have a distributor vent kit (this one seems to have it), then fitting that $15 kit is good to do.

Cars that have issues and are showing lots of wear won't get to $26k, especially for an early 964.

Good Luck,

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Thanks, Jay. That's exactly what I was looking for! Great comments!
Old 08-02-2006 | 08:18 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Sleep,

I forgot to mention that all 964's were fitted with the 3.6 liter engine. The normally aspirated cars had the same hp and torque ratings throughout the production period. The 993 has essentially the same motor with a few tweeks and improvements.

Even later, more specialized models such as the GT3's of the 996 series carried a 964 part number for the engine case.

Regards,

Jay
Old 08-02-2006 | 10:55 AM
SleepRM3
Pro

Sleep,

I forgot to mention that all 964's were fitted with the 3.6 liter engine. The normally aspirated cars had the same hp and torque ratings throughout the production period. The 993 has essentially the same motor with a few tweeks and improvements.

Even later, more specialized models such as the GT3's of the 996 series carried a 964 part number for the engine case.

Regards,

Jay
Thanks!

-Manny Lozano
Old 08-06-2006 | 05:57 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

Default Owner spec sheet

Here's the owner's spec sheet that details all that has been done to his '90 Carrera 2. Anyone have any comments? Thanks in advance.
FOR SALE
1990 Porsche 911 (964)
Priced at $26,000 USD

This car is in excellent condition with 56,000 miles. All upgrades and maintenance performed by Porsche mechanics. This is a fast and aggressive sounding C2. Known to put newer 911s in their place. Weight reductions with reputable sport upgrades make this a reliable and fun car to drive. The motor was pulled two years ago to address the common oil leak between the cylinders and the engine case. Many other upgrades were preformed while the motor was out of the car. This is one Porsche that does not leak oil on your garage floor. Before investing in these types of upgrades all underbody covers were removed and car was found to be rust and corrosion free. This has been a summer fun car and has not been take out in rain or snow. I have also maintained all records for this car so you know what you are getting.

Upgrades
*17” 1990 turbo wheels.
*Fabspeed stainless steel sport muffler w/ dual exhaust tips.
*Fabspeed stainless steel catalytic bypass pipe with oxygen sensor port.
*Secondary muffler removed with Fabspeed exhaust. (reduced weight)
*Lowered sport springs.
*Custom powder coated valve covers, fan and engine shrouds.
*Polished intake manifolds.
*Port and polished intakes.
*K&N air filter.
*Distributor vent installed.
*New pistons and cylinders updated to eliminate the leaky o-ring factory style seal.
*Pistons and rods balanced to zero weight difference.
*Porsche 3.6 super sport cam and bearing replaced.
*Lightweight flywheel to replace the original dual mass flywheel. (Reduced weight)
*Autoathority computer chip.
*Sony stereo with CD / MP3 player, Alpine amp and Sony 10 disk CD player.
*Stainless steel doorsills with Porsche crest.

Maintenance
*New brake rotors and pads.
*New Deka battery.
*Sunroof seals replaced.
*New valve guides while motor was out.
*Oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic. Break-in period after motor rebuild Castoroil GTX used.
*Front and rear wheel alignment.
*Replaced oil thermostats and oil feed hoses from original factory parts that weeps oil over time.
*Replaced engine compartment soundproofing.
*New timing chain guides.
*New valve guides.
Old 08-06-2006 | 06:57 PM
Jay H
Drifting

I sounds like someone dumped a boat load of money into this car.

If you do drive it, insure it idles correctly and doesn't die when coming to a stop (like at an intersection). There were issues with 964's and lightweight flywheels and the computer programming that is needed to insure the car doesn't idle poorly.

With a sealed motor and new valve guides, this car could potentially run for many, many miles (100,000+) with no major work needed on the motor.

Seems like a nice car.

Jay
90 964
Old 08-06-2006 | 09:46 PM
SleepRM3
Pro

It sounds like someone dumped a boat load of money into this car.

If you do drive it, insure it idles correctly and doesn't die when coming to a stop (like at an intersection). There were issues with 964's and lightweight flywheels and the computer programming that is needed to insure the car doesn't idle poorly.

With a sealed motor and new valve guides, this car could potentially run for many, many miles (100,000+) with no major work needed on the motor.

Seems like a nice car.

Jay
90 964
Thanks, Jay. With 247 factory horses, how much more did the engine mods add to the factory figure? I'm worried about the rough ride with the lowering springs (not sure if the shocks were replaced to deal with the stiffer springs). I'm an instructor for CIRPCA and MORPCA, so I'd make use of these mods (except for the stereo mods--not keen on nonfactory radios).
Old 08-06-2006 | 10:11 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

The mods done to this car are basically what was done to mine except that I have the early 993 intakes and cup cams. My car sounds great with the same mufflers and gets a lot of attention. My car came from near Canton so it may have even hung out with this one

I have an 7.5 lbs flywheel and yes it stalls from high RPM with the AC, on if you don't feather it down. Doesn't do it nearly as much with the AC off. Mine is a blast to drive but is choppy on the streets with Eibach springs and Belstien HD's lowered about as far as they can go. For a daily driver I would soften the ride a bit. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2006 | 12:55 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by SleepRM3
Thanks, Jay. With 247 factory horses, how much more did the engine mods add to the factory figure? I'm worried about the rough ride with the lowering springs (not sure if the shocks were replaced to deal with the stiffer springs). I'm an instructor for CIRPCA and MORPCA, so I'd make use of these mods (except for the stereo mods--not keen on nonfactory radios).
Sleep,

This car may have some additional horsepower, but most likely, not huge gains. The port and polishing, balancing, chip and exhaust changes are most likely the mods that are making a bit more hp on this motor. There could be anywhere from a real 10-25 hp added. Other people on this board with mods like this car has could help with what this car might have. Is there 300 hp here from these mods? No, definitely not. Porsche didn't leave much on the table with these cars and gains are small and expensive.

One thing that strikes me odd about this car is that it's got pretty low mileage, but a lot of work has been done to that motor. I personally know of only one 964 3.6 motor that leaked enough to warrant being torn down and fixed. I know of several other cars with cylinder to head leaks, but nothing serious to require dumping $5000 to $10,000 into the motor.

The one car that I know of (a 1990 C4) that needed the cylinder to head fix was raced hard and had 90,000 miles on it. It leaked considerably and the owner was forced to rebuild the motor since the rest of the car was still able to be raced. So, has this car been worked hard during its relatively low 56,000 mile lifetime? Might be worth investigating a bit more...

There were no 1990 Turbo's built by Porsche, so you may want to confirm what 17" rims are on this car. Some aftermarket 'copy' rims are much heavier than what Porsche used.

Factory radios are great for concours competitions, but the factory supplied audio systems in pre 993 models are terrible. I've got two factory systems in my 911's and they suck for the amount of money Porsche charged the first owners for those systems. Sub par Blaupunkts, paper cone woofers and paper cone tweeters were standard issue in 1990. You honestly can get better sound with a new $129 Alpine CD head unit and a pair of new $69 5.25" co-axial speakers for the front doors. My point is that if you are not showing your car in concours competitions that value originality, the audio system upgrades in this car are most likely a good thing if things were done right.

It still sounds like a nice car, but do your homework.

Good Luck!

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 08-07-2006 | 08:11 AM
SleepRM3
Pro

Sleep,

This car may have some additional horsepower, but most likely, not huge gains. The port and polishing, balancing, chip and exhaust changes are most likely the mods that are making a bit more hp on this motor. There could be anywhere from a real 10-25 hp added. Other people on this board with mods like this car has could help with what this car might have. Is there 300 hp here from these mods? No, definitely not. Porsche didn't leave much on the table with these cars and gains are small and expensive.

One thing that strikes me odd about this car is that it's got pretty low mileage, but a lot of work has been done to that motor. I personally know of only one 964 3.6 motor that leaked enough to warrant being torn down and fixed. I know of several other cars with cylinder to head leaks, but nothing serious to require dumping $5000 to $10,000 into the motor.

The one car that I know of (a 1990 C4) that needed the cylinder to head fix was raced hard and had 90,000 miles on it. It leaked considerably and the owner was forced to rebuild the motor since the rest of the car was still able to be raced. So, has this car been worked hard during its relatively low 56,000 mile lifetime? Might be worth investigating a bit more...

There were no 1990 Turbo's built by Porsche, so you may want to confirm what 17" rims are on this car. Some aftermarket 'copy' rims are much heavier than what Porsche used.

Factory radios are great for concours competitions, but the factory supplied audio systems in pre 993 models are terrible. I've got two factory systems in my 911's and they suck for the amount of money Porsche charged the first owners for those systems. Sub par Blaupunkts, paper cone woofers and paper cone tweeters were standard issue in 1990. You honestly can get better sound with a new $129 Alpine CD head unit and a pair of new $69 5.25" co-axial speakers for the front doors. My point is that if you are not showing your car in concours competitions that value originality, the audio system upgrades in this car are most likely a good thing if things were done right.

It still sounds like a nice car, but do your homework.

Good Luck!

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Again--thank you for your insight, Jay. The car's current mileage is 65283, but you make a good point. From what bostonu posted, the owner may have bought the car from a Ohio Valley Region PCA DE instructor? I followed up on the owner's spec sheet with more questions. He's been slow to respond. Dayton/Xenia OH is not far from Indy (120 miles)--so it might be worth the tank of gas for the round trip (if I come up empty handed).

This has been a great board. I've learned more from one month's Rennlist board browsing, than two year's of PCA "Quest" membership!

Kudos to you all!

-Manny Lozano

Quick Reply: 1990 964 Coupe?