Sponsored by:

Help! I'm locked on!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 AM
cypresscoast
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! I'm locked on!

I can't believe it! Finally misplaced the last copy of my wheel locks. The dealer in my area tells me they no longer make this type of wheel lock anymore ( I've seen the blanks advertised in Performance Products), so they'll have to break them off and install new lugs.

Does anyone know who carries the master so I won't have to break my locks off?

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:22 AM
gfunk
Pro

What type of locks do you have? How about a picture?
Old 07-18-2006, 01:56 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If your car has 993 type anti theft wheel lock nuts (Part # 993-361-057-00) (This is the type that comes with a special socket that fits on the wheel nuts, not the ones with the cap and a key you insert) for which the removal tool has been lost, you can go to your local porsche dealer and they will find the correct code for the removal tool and order it for you.

I would strongly recommend not letting anyone try and remove the above locks without the correct socket. I spent a week trying to remove just one of them. The only hope you have is to drill out the wheel stud. The way most of our rims leave the lug nuts inset, makes it impossible to get any tools in there to remove them.

If you have the type with the lock and the key, a swift blow with a hammer does wonders. (The outside key part just knocks off)

Kirk
Old 07-18-2006, 11:20 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

I stripped one of my wheel locks with the special socket provided ( result of a cheap set from a retail auto parts store). I brought it back to my Porsche shop and they used an air hammer to loosen it up enough to remove it. Try your local independant Porsche shop before having the the lugs cut off, they are creative guys and don't take the most expensive route like the typical dealer. Any good shop will figure out a way to loosen it up. The lock nut and socket seem to be prone to stripping when a air gun is used to tighten them up.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:11 AM
cypresscoast
Track Day

Question Help! I'm locked on!

Thanks for the advise, here are a couple of pictures in hopes I can still get copies made and save the locks.

Funny though, when I called McKenna where the car was originally purchased ( it was Janco Porsche then ), the service department told me dealers should have a master key.

Well I'm in Central California and McKenna is So Cal.

What do you guys think?
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2006, 01:03 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

These locks are remarkably cheap for a porsche product, Along time ago I lost the keys to my 84 and was faced with the same issue, with a flat no less. I took a small pen knife stuck it in the key slot, wiggled it around while pulling on the housing, the whole thing popped right off. I just replaced them all with regular lugs, they come off way too easy to provide any real security. I'd give it a try before you go to the extent of hammering on the lugs. Later I found the damn key and they still worked fine.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:07 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

Are you looking for a new key? You can get those off - search both here and Pelican. Or are you looking for another set of locking lugs/ I have these and the keyed socket type. Can't use these with my 17" rims and I don't like the keyed socket type. I had to use my air wrench to get them off when I was pulling the 16" wheels to put on the 17's. Couldn't get enough pressure to keep the prongs in the lugs.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I see it you have two options... Get a locksmith to cut new keys for your locking lugs... Or go to Sears and buy a few cheap sockets that are just smaller than the locking lugs. Drive the socket over the locking lug and remove. At 94 ft lbs... It doesn't take much to remove them.

Good Luck!

EDIT - Locking lugs on D-90s?
Old 07-21-2006, 08:52 AM
foxford
Rennlist Member

You may know this but...
There is a removal tool for just this situation. It is essentially a socket with an internal thread, reversed so it will drive ON in an anti-clockwise direction. I had to have a tire shop remove four such lug nuts for me a few years ago. See if a local wheel/tire retailer can do the same for you. Or, if you have an air wrench, I believe these lug removers are available at auto parts stores.

Best of luck.
-RK
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

His keyed type locking lugs, are basically a cylinder with a key in the front. When you put the key in they pop off to allow access to the regular lug nut. In my opinion they aren't worth saving. I had them on my 84 944. When I lost the key I found a single swift blow would knock them off allowing access to the lug.

As for the newer style locking lug nut tht requires the special socket, you can not use the methods described above. The lug nut is hollow. Then you try and put a socket, or extraction socket on the round part and spin them off, the soft alloy just shears off, leaving you with a flat lugnut deeply recessed in the rim. This is then almost impossible to remove without drilling out the stud.

Ask me how I know.

Kirk
Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Originally Posted by KirkF
If your car has 993 type anti theft wheel lock nuts (Part # 993-361-057-00) (This is the type that comes with a special socket that fits on the wheel nuts, not the ones with the cap and a key you insert) for which the removal tool has been lost, you can go to your local porsche dealer and they will find the correct code for the removal tool and order it for you.

I would strongly recommend not letting anyone try and remove the above locks without the correct socket. I spent a week trying to remove just one of them. The only hope you have is to drill out the wheel stud. The way most of our rims leave the lug nuts inset, makes it impossible to get any tools in there to remove them.

If you have the type with the lock and the key, a swift blow with a hammer does wonders. (The outside key part just knocks off)

Kirk
Well, it's gone. The socket that goes on my wheel locks, that is.

Does anyone know if '92s came with a "keyed" socket type of wheel lock or did they have the older type with a key?
Mine definitely require a special socket (I had it - just can't find it anywhere...). I assumed it was aftermarket. Any chance it's factory, and a new keyed socket can be obtained?

Any suggestions are welcome. Very little room to get to them, or use any type of tool.
Can't really drive it as is - a flat would strand me.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Show us a photo , anything can be done .
Old 05-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

the wheel locks are really cheap (ALum barrels if i remember correctly) there is a lug underneath it. so the pen knife trick will probably work (wiggle it in there it worked for me ) or pull them off with vice grips or drive a socket over them.
i would toss them - they are a great visual deterrent but other than that not worth much
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 AM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

These are not the factory locks that use a key.

Quick Reply: Help! I'm locked on!