Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit rev limited, now car is sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"If it encourages you any, Porsche specifically recommends in the manual a run to redline at WOT in first gear every time the owner drives a C2 Turbo! "

On the Turbos that is specifically to ensure that the wastegate is opening and doesn't "freeze" shut.

I'd never feel bad about taking the engine to redline. I redline my engine in all of the gears every time I drive them from every stoplight. Most have had over 150k miles on them in their lifetime with no issues.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:37 PM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
I've been above 6800 rpm, but I don't know what my rev limit is! I have an after market chip and I believe it has lifted the limit. On one occasion I went past while accelerating. I thought I was in third, but I was in second and I went above 6800rpm. 7000, possibly a touch more. I've had not problems that I'm aware of.

Been there and done that, mine was at 7200 before I noticed. Have not done it since.

What I suggest you do, is disconnect the battery for about 30 mins and reset the ECU. Then reconnect and take it for a good run so it can relearn your driving style. If the problem continues then you at least know its not ECU related and would recommend you get a "hammer" on it.

Best R's Andy
Old 07-18-2006, 06:46 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, everyone was wrong. The problem was that the air flow meter bracket came loose. I guess it was just random and not related to the rev limiter, but maybe it was cause and effect.

None the less, I enjoy everyone's input. They were great suggestions!

No, I did not figure it out on my own. I had to send it to the shop.

Thanks again!

p.s. these cars are toys, not trophies. There is nothing wrong with taking it to the limit every so often. 3 times a day is probably the proper number!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:30 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hitting the rev limit on up shifts is not so bad. Just don't do it on down shifts...
Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

My local PCA region tends to have a lot of autocrosses on very small lots. As such, I often never get to see 2nd gear. Lets just say that the rev limiter and I have been intimate on more occasions that I would like to recall. So far, no harm done.

I also see it at times at track events going from 2nd to 3rd. Again, no worse for the wear thus far.

Glad that the solution was a cheap one.

Brian
Old 07-20-2006, 08:45 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

The ease at which these engines hit the limiter is a tribute to their unstressed nature and breeding. They rev out so nicely its all too easy to hit the limiter, particularly in 2nd.

Our family Subaru sounds plain miserable by about 4.5 with another 2k to go!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Yeah its just music when its revving at full throttle. I've always felt when to shift in previous cars. I have serious trouble with that in these cars as the power just keeps coming.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:10 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being new to 964's, it is interesting to compare it to my BMW M Coupe. The M Coupe makes a great deal more power (torque) down low and is like a muscle car off the line from a standing start. You can light up a set of rear tires as much as your tire budget can afford. It will run quickly up to redline, but you can tell when you are on the downside of the torque curve in the high revs. The pull starts dropping off above 5500 rpms or so. In comparison, the 911 may not kick you in the spine off the line but it comes alive above 4K rpms and pulls with steadily building power to redline with no apparent flat spots. I'm not afraid of taking either car to redline on a regular basis. The TR6 however....
Old 07-20-2006, 12:22 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

TR6: "the 911 may not kick you in the spine off the line but it comes alive above 4K rpms and pulls with steadily building power to redline with no apparent flat spots."

If you ever get a chance to try a 911 turbo !!!!!!!!! .............
Old 07-20-2006, 03:19 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911addict
TR6: "the 911 may not kick you in the spine off the line but it comes alive above 4K rpms and pulls with steadily building power to redline with no apparent flat spots."

If you ever get a chance to try a 911 turbo !!!!!!!!! .............
I've also heard that a supercharged 911 will rip your spine out altogether!

Quick Reply: Hit rev limited, now car is sluggish