Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Problem

Hi all .... I'm cross posting, looking for some insight to the fuel lever readout issue on my C4S, described here .
In the meantime, my trip odometer serves as a fuel gauge , so any ideas welcome. TIA
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Garth... I used to have almost the opposite problem. My fuel light would flash even on a full tank. I ended up taking out my sending unit and cleaning it up. I guess it was particulate matter that built up from the gas over the years but the sending unit was filthy... Covered with a fine dirt-like covering. I cleaned it and reinstalled and only have the occasional flash now. If you cleaned the sender off when you took it out... The only other thing I can think of is that you have an open wire somewhere in between the two.

Good luck and please post what the eventual find is...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you clean the contacts on the guage? Even if you changed guages maybe the contact surface of the wired plug is cruded up. Maybe some tuner cleaner sprayed in the plug and Q-tip would help. A long shot but sounds like you tried all the other easy fixes. I tried that reading the odometer trick in my old mercedes to find that does not always work
Old 07-12-2006, 11:34 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good points!
I've left the original sender in, for it appears to respond well to fuel level changes [ 10 ohms = nearly full, 21 ohms yesterday at ~2/3 tank - and 34 ohms today at an est. 1/2 tank] It was the spare sender that was dissected and cleaned - but is not needed.
The connector plug for the gauge 'looked' OK, but as both gauges read identically - it is the common link. A shorted wire would cause a full reading .... , and an open wire would be infinity ( >>>75 ohms), so read empty.
I will pull the gauge again - and measure continuity back to the sender as well: I guess I'm either looking for a short that signals the gauge of sensing <1-2 ohms, or +12v at the wrong pin??
Old 07-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garth S ,
Hi Garth . Looks like you are having fun !! Do you have wiring diagrams ? If not give me a call .
Summer is here ?? I was down on the beach all day yesterday . Magic !!
All the best

Geoff

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problem