Sponsored by:

OT : Please convince me this is a bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:29 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT : Please convince me this is a bad idea

A few weeks ago, I started idly browsing autotrader and looking at Toyota Supra TTs. They are pretty cheap now (10 year old ones can be picked up for £10K), and I've previously owned one and thought it was a very good car. I was thinking that perhaps I could sell my daily driver for about £5K and buy the Supra as a daily run around. But it was only idle musing and I wasn't really seriously considering it. But...... it seems to have led me to a darker path.......

I'm not quite sure how it happened, but I somehow stopped browsing Supra's and started browsing Ferrari's. Now - I've browsed them before, but have always resisted the temptation because I know they're not as practical / reliable / well built as Porsche and I know the service costs are dreadful. However, while browsing I considered an alternative approach......

Although it would rather hurt my bank account, I could probably manage a 348 without selling the 964. The F355s are nicer but that's simply not going to happen without the 964 going and I wouldn't want that. So in theory I could buy a 348, run it for a year or two (probably only a 1000 miles a year or so) and then sell it. Would probably lose money when selling it, but that's life.

I know it's not sensible, and I know it would be a very bad idea (and I can only fit one car in the garage, and it would mean I owned 3 cars plus my girlfriends). But - although I am 100% sure the 964 is a better car in just about every respect - a Ferrari will always turn my head, and I think I should own one at least once.

I will probably not do it this year - it would affect some of my other plans if I did - however, I can feel myself sitting here thinking "it wouldn't hurt to go and see that one - it's only 20 miles away".

Please convince me that I'm being ridiculous - I can feel myself slipping down the slippery slope. My girlfriend - who once told me she would leave me if I ever bought a ferrari - is not being very helpful. Her response was that it would be quite cool to own one for a while.......
Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave - I agree with everything you say but mostly the bit about everyone should own one at least once. Car people like us should buy what we want, not what we need. There is only one downside and that is financial. In all other aspects owning a Ferrari would be one hell of an experience! I'd suggest chopping in the 964 (I know, I know...) and going for the F355 as it is meant to be such a jump from the 348 and would probably blow your mind...
Old 07-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, if Ferrari's really have always turned your head and you've always had a hankering for one then I'd do it if I were you..........

Only being able to fit one of the two sportscars in the garage may end up being a problem though (I know I've been there)
Old 07-03-2006, 11:47 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Er - you're not helping!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:47 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

I am not going to be every helpful!

I will give you the same argument I gave myself when I inally took the plunge on the 964 (my first Porsche after wanting one since I was probaly 13 years old).

If you don't do it now, when are you going to do it? Do you want to be on your death bed thinking you really regret not having once owned a Ferrari? Unless you believe in reincarnation, you only get one shot in life. I say DO IT.

Sure, its not likely to be anywhere near as much of a "real" day to day car as the 911, but who cares; its still a Ferrari. If you have the means, then I say why not? It's only money ;-)

And at some point if the girl friend starts giving you guff about it, you will own a 911 and a Ferrari. I am thinking you can probably find another girlfriend more appreciative of fine automobiles :-)

Brian
Old 07-03-2006, 12:11 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Let this help then,

I've driven a 348 hard, and it's not up to much, dogleg first......yeuch and it was heavy, as heavy as hell to steer, change gear and just about everything else.
If your heart says 355, then do it, a much better car to drive, more dynamic, better all round capabilities.

Kevin.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2006, 12:34 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Hmm - Kevin is the most helpful so far...........

And in all seriousness - perhaps I do need to go and see some, and see if I can get a test drive. It may very well dispel the glamour. Although I would love a 355, it's just not possible unless the 964 went and I think my head would over-rule my heart there. My finances might allow me to buy a 348, but I don't think they would really allow me to have a 964 and 348 long term, or a 355 long term instead of the 964.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Seight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Kevin. I've also driven a 348 and on top of what he says, the 348 is rattly and old fashioned (interior is Soooo cheap feeling) compared to a 964 as well as being slower.
If you have the cash to lose because you want to drive a Ferrari, then go for it but I would get a 355 over a 348 everytime. Faster, better looking and better built.

....and if you can't afford a 355, maybe I'm helping you out.

Cheers
Alex
Old 07-03-2006, 01:04 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

No doubt that owning a Ferrari and hearing that sound that a only a Ferrari can make is something many of us would thoroughly enjoy. As said by Brian, if you have the means to purchase and maintain than rock on.

I must say however, that your alternative, i.e. the Supra TT is a phenomenal car if you can find one that hasn't been molested to the point of destruction. I owned a 94 6 speed targa top and it had to be one of the best cars I have ever owned. Fantastic balance, bullet proof reliability and quality. The nice examples are still pulling huge $$ her in the U.S.

Good luck..
Old 07-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it was in the Lambo Top Gear video that I heard this... it was something along the lines of... some dreams are best kept at that.

Anyway, back to your question. Why not simple rent the Ferrari for a week.... take time off to just drive around.

I cannot blame you... If I had the disposable income to own one of each (Lambo, Ferrari) I would do it...
Old 07-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The other alternative is to rent one for a weekend (I assume those high-end car rental firms still exist). It'll probably cost you an arm and a leg, but may give you a better chance to see whether the reality comes anywhere close to what you'd hope.

I've not driven a 355 but none of the earlier Ferrari's I've spent time in (including some of the late 60's and early 70s front engined ones) appealed..........just too fragile, uncomfy and highly strung for me.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:14 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I did have a quick browse about renting earlier and I wonder if it would be the "sensible" option. A 355 for a long weekend (Fri to Mon) looks to be about £1500, and for a week (Mon to Mon) is about £2300. The 348 is cheaper.

It would be a rather extravagant toy for a week - but it would allow me to "live the dream" for a week. I think I might search the rental places a bit more and see.......
Old 07-03-2006, 01:41 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to hawaii for for vacation , rent the thing , have a blast .
http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/exotics-oahu.htm

http://www.maui.net/~toystore/Ferrar...360-Spider.htm

http://www.sanfranciscocarrentals.co...rrari355.shtml

http://www.hawaii-aloha.com/html/price_list.html

Warm air , sunshine , some wonderfull drives .
Do a lap or two of oahu .
Drive up and down tatalus a few times .
http://www.oahu.islands-travel.com/tantalus.html

H3 round to pali to likelike and back to H3 .
http://www.bestplaceshawaii.com/tips...3_freeway.html

The road to hana maui
http://www.hawaiianstylemedia.com/Gu...ana-Deluxe.htm
http://www.hanamaui.com/

Last edited by Indycam; 07-03-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:59 PM
McJohn
Racer

Many years ago a friend of mine had a 308GTBi. Lovely to look at, but I'm sorry to say I never really rated it as a car. Cramped, uncomfortable, and not all that fast by todays standards. It got thro money at a considerable rate, even then.

Just recently the same chap's brother bought a 355 Spyder, which I also has a run in, albeit as a passenger, and I'm sorry to say that didn't do much for me either. Certainly quite quick, but some how it lacked the "specialness" I was expecting. It got thro money at a truly indecent rate, and it will come as no surprise to learn that the chap in question went back to Porsche ownership, a 996 Turbo and now a 996 GT3 RS.

I hate to say it, but I also think Ferraris, or at least the modern and more ostentatious ones, have an image problem that Porsches don't seem to have. When I see someone in a Ferrari my first thought tends to be uncharitable (and unprintable) but every time I see a 911 (of any vintage) I still feel envious (even though I now own one).

Just my 2 cents.

McJohn

Quick Reply: OT : Please convince me this is a bad idea