Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT : Please convince me this is a bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 05:32 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A local lad i know who sells/services porsches and spares etc seems to change his current car every month,he has been through the Ferrari bug big time- the cars i have seen him driving were the 308/512/testarossa/348 and the last one he had was a 355 with each one he either thought it was underpowered/handled crap or was very unreliable.
When i admired his 355 he said its was an utterly fantasic car (when it worked)
He had it for about two months then it needed a 5K repair -this on a well seviced car with 24k on the clock.
I think he eventually changed it and went back to porsche.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveK
I should clearly be looking for the 993 TT that is apparently worth less than £29,950!

Howard - I agree with you, but I'm being put off the rental idea by the mileage limit. I don't mind paying £750 for a weekend - but I DO mind paying £750 for 300 miles.
Is that what they stipulated? 300 miles? ....tsch, thats not even Windermere and back!
Old 07-04-2006, 06:56 PM
tafkai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes , but ............

they're charging 1.66 per extra mile , and round her they only charge 1.00 per mile to deliver cars .

so it would be cheaper to drive the ferrari to the lakes , and then get back south on the back of a car transporter .

which , lets face it , there will be a good chance of you doing anyway in a ferrari .
Old 07-04-2006, 08:01 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Skip the Ferrari. Drop your car off at 9M and have them put in a supercharger instead.
The Ferraris repair bills will make your 964 look like the most economical daily driver on the planet.

Kirk
Old 07-05-2006, 04:11 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Surprisingly, I think the ferrari owners themselves have put me off the idea of owning one. Despite the fact that these are all positive reviews, and they are all saying their 348 is fantastic - here are some more quotes from the owners themselves :

"Since selling the car, I have come back to earth and only have owned Porsches, which in my view are fantastic sports cars. The 348 is a real looker, but the German tractor is much more reliable."

"OK it is not as well built as a Porsche (Previous car) and just shutting one of the doors tells you that"

"Poor design on the seals around the top of the windows... they leak furiously... always carry towels in the rainy season."

"You DO NOT drive a Ferrari in the rain. The people at Ferrari designed for if you "accidentally" got caught in the rain."

I think I will wait until the day I can afford £9K a year service bills...........
Old 07-05-2006, 05:11 AM
McJohn
Racer

Buy an early (pre Audi) Lamborghini and run it for a year. That will cost you SO much that running a Ferrari the following year will seem like a relief!

A friend of mine had a Jalpa some years back, and certain parts were simply not available, full stop. If they broke, you had to fabricate them, like when one of the exhaust manifolds broke and he had to have it manufactured from scratch, at eye watering cost. Failing that, it was find which Fiat partsbin it came from.

He didn't keep it long!

McJohn
Old 07-05-2006, 05:14 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Buy an early (pre Audi) Lamborghini and run it for a year. That will cost you SO much that running a Ferrari the following year will seem like a relief!
Yeah - but the doors almost make it worth it.... they are cool!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:19 AM
McJohn
Racer

Yeah - but the doors almost make it worth it.... they are cool!
Regrettably any coolness in doors that lift upwards has been ruined by the fact that you can fit these to any old Honda Civic or Vauxhall Corsa now.

... or 964

McJ
Old 07-05-2006, 10:26 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok,

Here's how I see this financially

Daves 964, costs between 1-2k/year on servicing, + incidentals

When I enquired with KHPC Kent high performance on the running costs of a Mondial the 93 version, I was told that servicing costs etc would amount to 3k/yr+ incidentals, thats for ordinary work, no belts etc.
Factor in the complexity of the 355 and costs would only go one way.......

So Dave are you prepared for what this will eventually cost??????

Do the sensible thing, get your car painted, get some larger wheels, those 16" are just silly....and then get Colin to breathe on your engine, you know it makes sense, especially as Christer should have borne out most of Colins development.....(insert smiley of choice)...

Oh, one last thing, remember the ******? coment about the 964 shades and sunroof open when you picked up the GF recently outside her office??? You'll be in for plenty more of that if you changed you know.............

Kevin
Old 07-05-2006, 10:59 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Daves 964, costs between 1-2k/year on servicing, + incidentals
Sadly, the incidentals were more than 1-2k this year!

So Dave are you prepared for what this will eventually cost??????
No. I was thinking that short term ownership would avoid that - but clearly this was a very naive view.

Do the sensible thing, get your car painted, get some larger wheels, those 16" are just silly
I think I am the only 964 owner who's happy with 16" wheels. And - silly they may be - but they were one of the big incidentals this year. Getting them refurbed was bloody expensive! They look far too good to get rid of now!

Colin to breathe on your engine, you know it makes sense, especially as Christer should have borne out most of Colins development.....(insert smiley of choice)...
That also causes a problem with the wheels. Faster engine means better brakes - and better brakes means I need bigger wheels.....

Oh, one last thing, remember the ******? coment about the 964 shades and sunroof open when you picked up the GF recently outside her office??? You'll be in for plenty more of that if you changed you know.............
Especially when it broke down at the side of the road.

I think the idea of buying one has gone now - I may still treat myself to a weekend hire at some point though - just one where I'll keep inside the mileage limit.

Instead, it's time to start budgeting for next years service / paint / leather interior..... At least I don't need new wheels!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:38 AM
McJohn
Racer

I think I am the only 964 owner who's happy with 16" wheels.

Oh no you're not! I sold my 17" Cup wheels cos I didn't like them, and bought 16" Cup 1's in their place. They look more in proportion to the car, and it drives better on bumpy roads.

McJohn
Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

That also causes a problem with the wheels. Faster engine means better brakes - and better brakes means I need bigger wheels.....

I have never agreed with the more HP = more brakes required philosophy.
You car stops fine from 250 kph now, it will continue to stop just as fine if you get there a second faster.
Bigger brakes are only required for track use, or if you want them 'just because'.

Kirk
Old 07-05-2006, 03:01 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I have never agreed with the more HP = more brakes required philosophy.
You car stops fine from 250 kph now, it will continue to stop just as fine if you get there a second faster.
Bigger brakes are only required for track use, or if you want them 'just because'.
I agree with you - but most insurers here don't.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,

You got me thinking, so i did a search on Autotrader.co.uk andf if you could live with a lhd F355 there were some around £30k which seemed to tie up with the proices of rhd 348's. Just throwing it in the mix
Old 07-05-2006, 03:37 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I'd prefer RHD.

However - I have a confession. Despite everything I've said, and all the negative points - I still found myself looking at F355s on autotrader / pistonheads when I got back from work.

So - I've reactivated the pistonheads ad I placed at the start of the year.

Since I just spent £3K on a service (new clutch etc.) I've upped the price to £17,995. I actually don't expect to get any interest, and I think it's very unlikely to sell at anywhere near that price. I am not desperate to sell it, and at the moment I'm very happy with it - so I have no plans to drop the price.

I am simply going to leave it to fate. If there is no interest, I will decide that owning a Ferrari and a Porsche is not sensible, and I'll keep the 964.

If by any chance someone does want to buy it for around that price - then assuming I don't suddenly get cold feet - I will sell it and look for an F355 in the £40-£45K region.

Let's see.

Quick Reply: OT : Please convince me this is a bad idea