Intake Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:08 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Can someone please confirm that the ball-joint for, what appears to be, the vacuum operated resonance flap operator just pops off? It's the right hand red circled item.
The ball-joint pops off with a flat-head screwdriver and (I vaguely remember) the resonance flap vacuum operated actuating arm stays attached to the metal frame that holds the fuel pressure regulator.

Is this the correct approach?
If you're just cleaning I would leave the throttle-body and the resonance flap on the engine and wait for your first engine drop. Putting it all back together with the engine in the car can be a real nightmare. And there is nothing you can't reach with it still in place. But if you do tackle this, make sure to manually operate the flap a few times when its partially back together (before you reinstall the intake stacks) and check that the flap is not binding (I wish I could explain it better but you'll see what I mean when you're there.)

Old 07-13-2007, 01:47 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

I don't think that oil in the intake is normal. I think it means an overfill.
I'd have to say it is normal. These cars do blow quite a bit of oil into the intake. I cleaned my intake completely, did 600 miles of highway driving plus a race weekend with a dead-on oil level, and upon disassembly of the intake, it's wet with oil again - wet enough that when the middle throttle body is turned on its side, it actually dripped oil.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Jason, thank you. That is exactly the piece I've been struggling with. I have the ball joint off and the five screws out, but the resonance flap mechanism is hanging up on the metal frame. Must be a clearance issue. No matter, I'll either get it free or just clean it in place as I did last time.

Garrett, that is very interesting information. I wasn't expecting that! I've had my intakes off twice now and both times there was a puddle of oil in the throttle body. I know that I did have an oil overfill back in March, but it's nice to know that some oil is acceptable, and expected.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
...wait for your first engine drop...
Never thought that would happen, but now I'm not so sure . . .
Old 09-02-2007, 01:07 AM
elliottc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it make any sense to polish the intake? I had a couple hours today and pulled mine off..... cake on blackness ... but the car does have 175k. Anyway cleaned them up but should I do anything more?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:57 PM
donoman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, how does cleaning the intake of a thin film of gunk lead to better drivability!? Is there an easier way to do this, something analogous to carb cleaner?

Quick Reply: Intake Cleaning