Ring & pinion 8:32

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006 | 02:41 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ring & pinion 8:32

Hi all!!!

Anyone can tell me some advices about a ring & pinion 8:32 on a C2 for track and street use?

Any issues about overheating transmission?

Ciao
Paolo
Old 06-09-2006 | 09:19 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The 8:32 (4.0:1) R&P is the R&P used in the RSR race cars. I have one in mine. They do accelerate wear, however, I doubt it will be a significant issue for a street/DE car. It will move all of your gears down, however, the gear spacing, which is the real issue, will remain the same. In other words, the RPM drop between the gears is the same as with your current R&P.

It is my feeling that the transmissions get too hot in a car on the track in a racing environment for more than 45 minutes straight. I also believe this is hard on the LSD which has the friction plates in them. I think this because I wore out LSDs in my turbo car. I don't have any logged data from the gearbox per se, but when I ran my turbo car, after about 1 hour on the track, the trans case reached 275 degrees so I imagine the gear oil is much hotter than that. On my new car, I have both a trans temp sensor and a trans pump. I will soon be able to tell you what the gear temps are in my car. PM me after my car is running to remind me. I want to see the trans temp in the 200 degree range. I believe 300 is too hot.

I don't believe the 4.0 R&P will change the temp of the trans any significant amount.
Old 06-11-2006 | 11:58 AM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Geoffrey,
thank you very much!

P.S: your car is breathtaking!!!

Ciao
Paolo
Old 06-11-2006 | 08:54 PM
BlackWidow964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 8:32 Ring & Pinion in my '93 RS America with a Quaife TSB style diff. The gearing is lower, but still fine for the street. Mine runs down the freeway at 80mph turning 3600 rpm - perfect to be at the bottom of the torque band. (Cammed and has titanium Carillo rods). Works great on the track too, you'll really like the extra torque you feel upon acceleration. It lowers first gear (actually all of them, of course), which really is helpful if you dump the stock flywheel and go with a lightweight unit and the "on-off" tendency of an RS racing clutch. I say go for it! LSD's are much quieter than the TSB style differentials, too.

Good Luck.
Old 06-13-2006 | 09:22 AM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Very good, BlackWidow!

Ciao
Paolo

Quick Reply: Ring & pinion 8:32