Sponsored by:

Very blue 964

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 01:12 PM
flat_six
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dog eats car

Thanks for all the welcomes. I often enjoy avoiding work reading this forum. I'm looking forward to getting familiar with the 964 and hearing about other owner's experiences.

> GT9111 wrote:
> How did you train your dog to clean the wheels?

He can't get enough brake dust.

I got a couple things from Pelican Parts. Rear spoiler wall and door stays. Ordered a center console tray from local dealer (Stammler) to replace the period audio cassette storage.

Here's a couple more pics. The dog and his car. And me grinning.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:31 PM
flat_six
Track Day

Question We didn't start the fire

I've come to realize that everything 964 ignition related costs twice as much! Sweet fancy sparks plugs!#$!

I realize the aviation engine rationale, but that's a lot of plugs, wires, caps, rotors... Are there other mass-marketed autos from this period (1991) that twin-ignited? What made Porsche engineers choose this approach?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:09 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

1990 was somewhere around the apex of a "changing of the guard" of much of Porsche's design/engineering staff according to my machine shop guy - which of course could be total BS But there were a lot of pretty significant changes - some for the better - some for worse beginning with the 964 to make it more civilized and engineeringly cute.

Twin plugs are just to get a "better" flame front in ignition of the mix - yields a little more power - but whether that little bit of power is worth the extra hassle of more stuff to buy/replace - well that's always a matter of opinion. I can tell you I wasn't very happy knowing the best deal I could find on plug wires (ready to install) was $420. Though that is kind of funny now that I think about it...
Old 05-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Congratulations! This car was for sale about 1/2 a mile from where I work and I remember watching it on eBay. Enjoy!

c
Old 05-26-2006, 05:42 PM
CHASE
Instructor

Sweet ride and color ! I smile the whole time I am driving also !
Nothing wrong with the d-90's (although I lust after a set of cup 1's to trade off)
Enjoy you 964 !
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2006, 06:00 PM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't checked the code, but that sure looks like Tahoe Blue to me, universally acknowledged as the finest colour ever to grace a motor vehicle (at least until I buy something different )

McJohn
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flat_six
I've come to realize that everything 964 ignition related costs twice as much! Sweet fancy sparks plugs!#$!

I realize the aviation engine rationale, but that's a lot of plugs, wires, caps, rotors... Are there other mass-marketed autos from this period (1991) that twin-ignited? What made Porsche engineers choose this approach?
I think the twin plug is more of a way to make the 2 valve per cylinder heads more efficient. With 4 valves you have a perfect spot for one spark plug right in the center of the combustion chamber. With 2 large valves the spark plug has to go off to one side. 2 plugs solves the problem. I think the 964 might be the first production Porsche to use twin plug ignition. They've used it on race engines for decades.

Welcome to Rennlist. This is the best 964 web forum. Nice car congrats!

Chad
Old 05-26-2006, 08:10 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

the picture over the hood is awesome.....just snagged it as my new desktop background of choice
Old 05-27-2006, 12:18 AM
flat_six
Track Day

Sweet!! My friend took the pic out the sunroof and it really draws focus to the bug-eye headlights, and the nice curvy road. The location is Flagstaff Road in Boulder (a local cycling feat of strength).

I like the D90's too! They really suit the car. I think they're pretty light, no? The Dunlop SP8000's it came with have 2/3 tread left. 205 and 225 width. They don't feel especially grippy, but I have to fiddle with the pressures maybe.

Quick Reply: Very blue 964