964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint quirks

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint quirks

So in poking around the car ('91 C4 Guards Red) I noticed a couple things:

1. The inner lip of the doors have this black rubberized paint in a strip, basically where the door seal meets the door, looks like anti-wear coating. Had the taillights out for cleaning, there's a little dab of this stuff on the vertical metal area behind the gaps where the taillights meet the center section. Kinda like so if you somehow saw through that gap, you would only see black.

2. When I had the taillights out, I noticed the 'sockets'in the body had a lot less paint thickness - you can actually see a bit of primer in the upper part. I know they try not to overload this area, but wow - thin.

I know these things were painted by humans, just seems kinda quirky. I've got a paint meter and I've run it all over this thing. It all checks original thickness (about 3.75 to 5.25 mils) all over, except for the cowl panel that I know has been sprayed. They really followed a pattern, too - you look at each area side-to-side, and the readings are almost perfectly symmetrical (as much as would be humanly possible).

Sorry no pics, I'm not near it right now.

Cheers,
Barry

Quick Reply: Paint quirks