Sponsored by:

Copper paste question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 06:08 PM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Copper paste question

When installing new brake pads (metal masters) on the front of my 1991 C2, do I need to use copper paste to prevent future squeeling? If so, where and how much paste to use? Also should I leave the old "mushrooms" in place or remove them to reduce brake squeel?

Thanks,
Stewart

PS Still looking for a hand in replacing the pads in Metrowest Boston
Old 05-22-2006, 07:27 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Idokter
When installing new brake pads (metal masters) on the front of my 1991 C2
After you separate the brakes pads from the mushrooms you should be able to tell if replacing the pads is going to make any difference (unlikely). If you have difficulty pulling the pad than you know the spring plates are the problem and not the choice of pad. Your mechanic recommending caliper replacement is another hint that the plates are the problem.

do I need to use copper paste to prevent future squeeling? If so, where and how much paste to use?
Instead of copper paste try something like Permatex Brake Quiet or the Loctite Disk Brake Quiet stick. The Permatex usually comes in a spray container and you apply either product to the back of the pads.

Also should I leave the old "mushrooms" in place or remove them to reduce brake squeel?
The mushrooms are not reuseable. They will still sorta stick to the pads but not really.

Still looking for a hand in replacing the pads in Metrowest Boston
I might have to stop by EPE in Natick (for machineshop work) this week but I'm waiting to here back from Jerry (I live 3 hours away), if so I can help.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Can someone please explain what the "mushrooms" are?

Perhaps point them out in this pic?

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2006, 10:52 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

Parts #20 and 21 (they are different diameters). The "mushroom" spring end fits in the piston, and the flat side has an adhesive to stick to the brake pad.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:37 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

here's a photo of the other side of one depicted in the above parts diagram

Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Default Already purchased the copper paste

upon advise of a fellow rennlister. where can I put the paste,as I am not replacing the mushrooms, just the front pads.

S
Old 05-23-2006, 08:02 AM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Default Can I...

Just replace the spring plates?

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
After you separate the brakes pads from the mushrooms you should be able to tell if replacing the pads is going to make any difference (unlikely). If you have difficulty pulling the pad than you know the spring plates are the problem and not the choice of pad. Your mechanic recommending caliper replacement is another hint that the plates are the problem.

Instead of copper paste try something like Permatex Brake Quiet or the Loctite Disk Brake Quiet stick. The Permatex usually comes in a spray container and you apply either product to the back of the pads.

The mushrooms are not reuseable. They will still sorta stick to the pads but not really.

I might have to stop by EPE in Natick (for machineshop work) this week but I'm waiting to here back from Jerry (I live 3 hours away), if so I can help.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:37 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Idoktr
where can I put the paste,as I am not replacing the mushrooms, just the front pads.
On the backside of the pads where the pistons push against it.

Just replace the spring plates?
The thing is you said your mechanic (who are using?) already tried replacing the pads, etc. and recommended replacing the calipers. If that's the case and you need to heavily file the sides of new pads to get them to fit then your problem is probably related to the plates. You can check pretty easily by trying to remove your existing pads. IF you have a lot of difficulty pulling them upward then you've found the reason for the squeak.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Idoktr
Rennlist Member

Default Jerry

at EPE....I just don't have the $$$$$$$$ to replace the whole system.

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
On the backside of the pads where the pistons push against it.

The thing is you said your mechanic (who are using?) already tried replacing the pads, etc. and recommended replacing the calipers. If that's the case and you need to heavily file the sides of new pads to get them to fit then your problem is probably related to the plates. You can check pretty easily by trying to remove your existing pads. IF you have a lot of difficulty pulling them upward then you've found the reason for the squeak.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:57 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

I just don't have the $$$$$$$$ to replace the whole system.
There is no reason to replace the whole system or even a single caliper. When you go to install your new pads take a look at the spring plates and see if one or both are bending away from the caliper or if you have to file away a good portion of the new pads to get them to fit. At worst you're out $13-16USD for a new plate as there is not a whole lot that would go wrong with your calipers and require a total replacement.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 05-24-2006 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Copper paste question