Sponsored by:

A top end rebuild looms - apparently

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:56 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A top end rebuild looms - apparently

Had a call from JZ. They haven't started the clutch yet - so they might have more "good" news later - but they did list the issues they've found with the car this time. There are a few minor points but the significant ones were :

1) Front diff weeps. I've been told this before every year - but they said it's a little worse and will need doing in the future - but not yet. Budget £500.

2) Oil leaks. They said that it now leaks more oil than it did last year - from gearbox and engine - and that the LHS is particularly bad. Soon it will start dripping oil on the floor. He congratulated me on how many miles it's done before having this problem - until I pointed out it had a top end rebuild 45K miles ago.

I think the leak will have to drip oil on the floor (and drip quite a lot) before I'm ready to pay £5K+ for a top end rebuild. So I think that can wait a while.

The day was going so well........
Old 05-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,
How bad is the front diff leak ? Mine is getting worse so a pair of seals is going on order !

All the best

Geoff
Old 05-23-2006, 10:41 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I've always been told it "weeps" and is OK as long as it's regularly topped up. On the phone they said it would be OK for another year - but one day, it really should be fixed.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:20 PM
jeff522
Racer

FWIW If you ask the barber,"Do I needneed a haircut",well the same is offten true for oil/fluid leaks.Most good shops are very honest.They have more than enough work.They don't need to talk people into work they don't need.You have a leak they have a way to fix it.When it comes to small leaks you can buy a lot of fluid for the cost of repair.Are you putting in a lot more fluid in the diff,or about the same.You would be the best one to tell if the leak has increased by how much and how offten you need to add fluid.Same wiyh the oil,it is not even leaving a spot on the floor.If mine never left a spot on the floor I'd think it had run out of oil.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:28 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I agree. It never has left oil on the floor - so I think the leak needs to get much worse before I'd think it was bad enough to need a rebuild.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

Dave - firstly I feel like I pop up and snipe at your posts a lot lately , but I don't mean to!

So: surely a full top end rebuild, valves and stuff, isn't whats needed, but a re-seal whilst the engine's out for the clutch anyway. We don't know what's actually leaking yet, but surely its not 5k's worth?

OTOH - I take it JZ take out the engine for a C4 clutch? - I know its possible not to..
Old 05-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Johnny,
Be interesting to hear this clutch change method without pulling the motor.
I know it is possible on a 993 C2 but a 964 C2/C4 sounds like a challenge !
Thanks

Geoff
Old 05-24-2006, 03:57 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Johnny - you're right, I assume it needs a reseal rather than valve guides etc. To be honest - I have a very good opinion of JZ, but I was a bit surprised that they mentioned the leaks before they had the engine out for the clutch - they will have a much better view of what's leaking then. They are going to call later in the week (when they find out how many clutch bits I need!) so I'll ask them more about the leaks then.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:49 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Well - JZ just called again with a bit more info :

I need the selector fork (or whatever it's called) and also the bearings and shaft. I don't need a DMF - although they said that it was about 40% worn but they think it's got about 40-50k miles left in it (assuming I don't do drag starts).

The RMS leaks (do I have a 996????) so they are going to replace that. The oil leaks are all from LHS - RHS is dry. They suggested that this might be because non-OE gaskets / seals were used. They said that they fell foul of this themselves some years ago.

I asked what it was likely to cost for a reseal, but they actually advised against it. He said with labour, it would be about £1800 - however, it's unlikely that you would find nothing inside needed replacing. In fact he told me a horror story about one engine they've got at the moment...... Basically - he said it would probably be fine for a couple of years - I just needed to be aware that it was getting worse. So if I was to see my dream car somewhere, the thought that mine may need some fairly expensive work in the future might sway my decision.

Oh - and just for interest - rough estimate of final bill this time : £2450 + vat.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:25 AM
Christer
Race Car

£2450 - excellent......so it keeps the '£2K minimum bills' tradition alive....YEEHAH!!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 07:38 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Dave,

Your not seriously telling me that your clutch and bits and bobs are going at £2450...are you?

Kevin
Old 05-24-2006, 08:20 AM
DaveK
Race Car

I didn't ask for a breakdown in costs. I was told that the gearbox mount rubber (or something like that) was falling apart - and it would need doing soon (no labour) or it would be very expensive in future - and the part was about £80. The clutch fork, RMS etc. (there was a list of smallish stuff) all seemed to be about £30-£60 - I wasn't writing it down but I suspect about £200 of this stuff. I think the clutch is about £1200 - so I guess it's £1200 plus £300 of extras, plus the service, plus the MOT - and having the wheels refurbed (painted and baked in an oven) was a few hundred......

To be honest - it's pretty much what I expected, but I don't mind so much when the clutch and wheels are a big part of it.

It's when I get £2K service bills when I didn't notice anything was wrong with the car that I get pissed off.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Graham L
Racer

sounds familiar - i wonder if JZM only have two prices for 964 work: £2,500 and £7,500. I've had both this year...
Old 05-24-2006, 05:03 PM
tafkai

http://www.salenca.com/published/40.html

handy to know for future budgeting .

click on 9m logo , then hover over technick , and it takes you to fixed price servicing etc.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:16 AM
Christer
Race Car

JZM's prices are not actually that different to 9M's.......Dave is having quite a lot of work done plus he doesn't have to drive 200 miles each way to get to 9M.....(plus train each way unless someone gives him a lift...)

Quick Reply: A top end rebuild looms - apparently