Sponsored by:

Racecar Project - Anatomy of a Lexan Window

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Racecar Project - Anatomy of a Lexan Window

I finally got tired of getting jerked around by Spektr Products and their ill fitting products and terrible customer service. I decided to make my own sliding lexan windows. I bought a small sheet of 1/8" lexan and a few strips of 1/4" lexan. I cut a cardboard template for the window opening in the GT2 Evo doors, used a jig saw to cut the window to size and then a belt sander to get it exactly to size. Then I used a hole saw to cut the corners of the window opening and connected the dots with a skill saw. I then used my router table and cut one edge of the 1/4" lexan strip to 1/8" which will hold the sliding window. Then I drilled holes and bolted it all together. Once the window was complete, I installed it in the opening using rivnuts and M4 allen head bolts. Worked out great.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:10 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow! nice work. I guess it makes it much more simplistic because our windows are not curved right?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get the fancy Lexan MR10 or go with a simple abrasion resistant polycarbonate?

My windshield cracked recently so I had a Spektr windshield installed (it's nice) but was looking into a DIY for the rear and rear sides.

Does your race class allow the use of the door windows? I assume since they have the slider you expect to really use them and they are not simply for transport.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:55 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

You must have gotten lucky with your windshield. Mine was not formed correctly and would not fit into the frame. I had to heat and reform my windshield as well as cut it down to fit properly.

I used Lexan brand, but didn't specify an abrasion resistant one since I wasn't sure this was going to work.

Up until 2006, the windows were legal in PCA racing. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point, but I wanted the option anyway.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input. The shop made no complaints about the windshield and getting it fit. I did notice though that I get intrference lines in it if I wear polarized sunglasses. They are not bad and I tune them out in about 1/2 lap, but they are there.

When I was checking around, i was told that Polycarbonate (Lexan is a GE tradename for polycarbonate) without an abrasion resistant coating (Lexan AR or MR10) is very, very scratch prone and would not hold up very long.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess i am lucky - i can go down there and hand pick the ones i want and return something pretty easily to spektor. i've heard the same stuff about most of the lexan suppliers though.
you might want to check out Makrolon as well ( http://www.professionalplastics.com/...-Glazing-Grade ) whcih comes in an AR- 2 sided sheet for 20.00 (24x24) great stuff for making side windows out of
Old 05-18-2006, 02:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry for a silly question, but what is a rivnut?

Beautiful work.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I checked and it is AR so that is good. The rest is all scratch resistant.

A rivnut is sort of like a rivot and is used when you need blind access. Basically you drill a hole, insert the rivnut in the hole and with a tool like a rivot gun you squeeze the handle and it sets the rivnut. This allows a bolt to be screwed into it. I'll see if I can dig up a picture or two.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:16 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice work! Looks very profesional.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:10 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Is there anything you can't build... Very cool. Almost done now...
Old 05-19-2006, 02:21 AM
Hambisa
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pete000
Wow, Is there anything you can't build...
LOL I was thinking the same thing, but then Geoffrey has just hand-built an entire race care, for heaven's sake. He probably did those windows before breakfast, and hunted a couple of man-eating alligators, too!

Geoffrey, every detail of your car is a work of art -- I eagerly await every new post, and thank you for sharing, as always. You have given all of us a vicarious sense of ownership in a project that most can only dream of doing.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Exactly the thread I needed Great description Geoffrey, Cupcar#12, thanks for the great link.

Quick question to you guys, what is the recommended thickness for the EVO door windows? I would like to go as thin as possible obviously for lightness as well as a clearer view. I will be gluing (sp) them to the frames.

I know that my current lexan rear window bends inwards at high speeds at the track (I reach close to 170mph), although I have a rather thick Lexan (not sure how thick though), but I guess one can go very thin (1/8th) for the door windows and rear quarters as they do not have any downforce on them.

Spektr products seems to have a very inexpensive 1/8th door window, is it safe to buy it ?
http://www.spektrproducts.com/forms/...esults(S).html

Alternatively I would go for the Makrolon sheets (thickness?) and do some fabrication myself ala Geoffrey.

Would appreciate any input as the EVO doors I am buying have no windows.
Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Jean, I used 1/8" polycarbonate (Makrolon brand), and you'll want to spend the extra and get the scratch resistant coating on it. Most other windows by Porsche Motorsport are 1/8", but I don't know if that the the recommended (by whom) size or not. It happens to work fine for me. My doors are reporduction GT2 Evo doors, so they should be similar to yours.

My rear window is 1/8" too, but I installed a carbon fibre brace in the center which the window attaches to via 1/4 turn fasteners.

I will never, ever deal with Spektr products again, they don't fit, he charges your account when the order is placed and the product shows up 3 months later. He sent me plexiglass windows rather than lexan I requested.

Call me if you get stuck or have any detailed questions.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Geoffry, I also had a poor experience with Spectr products. It took them months to get me my rear window. I bought my front window from Chris Streit at MotoDelta Motorsports. It fit perfectly out of the box.

http://moto-delta.com/store/index.ph...roducts_id=230
Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Jean, I used 1/8" polycarbonate (Makrolon brand), and you'll want to spend the extra and get the scratch resistant coating on it. Most other windows by Porsche Motorsport are 1/8", but I don't know if that the the recommended (by whom) size or not. It happens to work fine for me. My doors are reporduction GT2 Evo doors, so they should be similar to yours.

My rear window is 1/8" too, but I installed a carbon fibre brace in the center which the window attaches to via 1/4 turn fasteners.

I will never, ever deal with Spektr products again, they don't fit, he charges your account when the order is placed and the product shows up 3 months later. He sent me plexiglass windows rather than lexan I requested.

Call me if you get stuck or have any detailed questions.
Geoffrey,

Thanks for the advice and for helping me avoiding a mistake. I will use 1/8th as well, I might go for a scoop instead of doing the sliding window, saves time and energy. A friend of mine has it on his GT2 race car and he is very happy with it .

Quick Reply: Racecar Project - Anatomy of a Lexan Window