Sponsored by:

Schnell Front Strut brace

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:05 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Schnell Front Strut brace

I just installed a Schnell front strut. pretty easy to install and did not have to cut the carpet which will lay right over the strut. Only issue was the strut comes with a lock nut at each end causing the length to be about 1/8 inch too long. had to remove one of the nuts to be able to align the strut bracket holes with the two bolts on the front shock base. The quality of the strut was very good for the price, $135, and I did seem to notice a diffference going over bumps, less bouncing. Next step will be new shocks. Also installed the Aluminum pedals from Ultimate Pedals. Nice fit and look good.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:55 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

copy cat! I got the same brace and pedals, except my pedals are still in the box.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:00 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Don I installed the same strut brace two weeks ago on my Targa. There should no length issues. Meaning there should be no reason to remove the lock nut ... there should be plenty of adjustability in length with the lock nut on. ALso it is a good idea to put the lock nut back on ... as over time the bar could unscrew itself or at least loosen.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:01 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

hey Hawk, you must be real busy if I got something on before you did. Did you get the driver foot rest too? The first one they sent me was for an earlier model 911 which did not have a formed driver foot rest. If you get one, make sure they ship the one for a 993.

Carrera Cup, not sure why my strut was too long unless they sent one for a 993 which I believe is 2 inches wider than a 964. The brackets that came with the strut had one fixed hole and one adjustable hole. If both holes had room for adjustment, it would not have been an issue. Right now with one lock nut screwed tightly down and no lock nut on the other end, it just fits. I plan to open up the fixed bracket holes to be able to get the other nut on.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:21 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Don, Yeah it just seems strange. I have about an 1" of free thread on each side if mine.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:35 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by last toy
not sure why my strut was too long unless they sent one for a 993 which I believe is 2 inches wider than a 964.
The distance between the upper bolts of the front shock mounts for the 964 and 993 is the same, 869 +- 2mm. On the PelicanBBS there have been reports of other product knock-offs that Vertex sells having fitment issues (i.e. they don't).
Old 05-19-2006, 08:16 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by last toy
hey Hawk, you must be real busy if I got something on before you did. Did you get the driver foot rest too? The first one they sent me was for an earlier model 911 which did not have a formed driver foot rest. If you get one, make sure they ship the one for a 993.

Carrera Cup, not sure why my strut was too long unless they sent one for a 993 which I believe is 2 inches wider than a 964. The brackets that came with the strut had one fixed hole and one adjustable hole. If both holes had room for adjustment, it would not have been an issue. Right now with one lock nut screwed tightly down and no lock nut on the other end, it just fits. I plan to open up the fixed bracket holes to be able to get the other nut on.
Don, I did get the dead pedal, but they claim they have to fabricate specially because there is no real dead pedal area on the 964. I'll have to dry-fit the pedal to make sure.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Hawk, I just put mine on after they resent the 993 model, it fit perfect. Call Rob at Ultimate Pedal and ask him for the same one he sent me, refer to the shipment to Shaker heights, ohio. Just mention the conversation he had with me when we concluded he sent me a dead pedal for a pre-89 911 which doesn't have the foot rest. The 993 dead pedal fits fine. I'm sure Rob will remember our conversation. If you need specific demensions of the one that fits, let me know.

Quick Reply: Schnell Front Strut brace