Sponsored by:

Oil level gauge not working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:02 AM
Mjonzo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level gauge not working?

Can anybody help me out? This gauge has shown no reaction at all since i've had the car (3-4 weeks), no matter how long the journey or how fast i drive. The needle just sits at the bottom.

I presume this means it doesnt work. Is the gauge run off a certain fuse? could it have a faulty earth (though would have thought that would result in an erratic needle?), or does it mean the oil sender unit is snaffu'd ?
Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Silly question, but you have checked the oil level via the dipstick???

At least that way you'll know that you have oil to check........it can be lowish and not show on the gauge, takes about 2 odd litres to get to show from just being off the gauge.

Thats why I ask if you know it has enough oil via the dipstick first.

Kevin
Old 05-11-2006, 10:10 AM
raymond-turner
Instructor

Hi, welcome. A common question, I understand. The engine has a 'dry sump' and as such, the guage will only record the oil level when the engine is at opperating temperature, ie/ the needle is above the first segment.
Always best to check after a 'spirited' run, and for accuracy, use the dip stick.
As you are local, why not join us on 21st, we are having a breakfast meet at my pub, details from the SE meeting link.
best wishes. R
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Graham L
Racer

a bad earth would peg the needle at the top - so the system sounds like it's working to me. Check oil level!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:40 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The oil level gauge only reads when the car is warm and idling. You'll want it to be really warm, thus the reference to a spirited drive. Then let it idle for about a minute and, assuming you have enough oil, the gauge will begin to register.

If the gauge is working you'll want to have it run up to about 3 o'clock (mid way) and not any higher. If you put too much oil in then there is a good chance that you'll end up fouling your Idle Stability Valve (ISV) which will require removing it and cleaning it. An easy job, really, but also easily avoided.

Try reading the dipstick in the engine compartment. Same thing as the gauge, you'll want the car nice and warm and idling for a while before checking the stick. Note that some folks swear by the stick and completely ignore the gauge. Others simply can't get a valid reading off the stick and go entirely by the gauge. Still, others use both. I tend to check both and have only recently figured out a method for reading the stick. In my car I need to pull the stick, clean it, then replace it and re-pull it pretty quickly. If I let it sit in the tank for too long I simply can not get a reading on it. The whole of the stick gets smeared in oil.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Mjonzo
Intermediate

Thanks guys, i have checked the guage on 'spirited' runs and the needle has never moved, hence leading me to believe the fault lies with the guage itself or its wiring/sender....or more worrying now, a lack of oil !?
Tried checking the dipstick at the weekend without much joy, half hour after a 40 minute drive and whilst ticking over on flat (ish) ground. I put a pint in just for safe measure as i was worried about over-filling after reading many posts on here.
Got me worried now!

May try and make that 21st meet if i can, lifes hectic at the moment ! Always good to pick up some pointers from fellow owners.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:17 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the guage will read empty on a "spirited" run. You must be fully heated and termo opened, and parked on a flat surface with the engine at idle for 30+ seconds
Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjonzo
Thanks guys, i have checked the guage on 'spirited' runs and the needle has never moved, hence leading me to believe the fault lies with the guage itself or its wiring/sender....or more worrying now, a lack of oil !?
Tried checking the dipstick at the weekend without much joy, half hour after a 40 minute drive and whilst ticking over on flat (ish) ground. I put a pint in just for safe measure as i was worried about over-filling after reading many posts on here.
Got me worried now!

May try and make that 21st meet if i can, lifes hectic at the moment ! Always good to pick up some pointers from fellow owners.
What we are trying to state is that the gauge will stay on the bottom if the oil level is low by less than 1 quart (liter).

Warm up the oil as described, park on a level surface and while the engine is running, check the dipstick. It will probably show LOW, so slowly add the oil and watch the gauge through the rear window. Keep checking the level with the dipstick. When it indicates the correct amount (level), then you can verify that the gauge is faulty.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
Mjonzo
Intermediate

Thanks guys, did a 15 minute run, parked on a flat surface and re-checked the dipstick, it was showing oil level at mid way between high and low marks on the stick. I put a pint of oil in for good measure.
Just read the post about checking the gauge through the rear window, so will try that tonight. I didnt realise the needle is only supposed to move whilst ticking over on a flat surface.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:08 AM
cockyapple
Instructor

hi...

had the same problem a few weeks ago........needle was pegged to the bottom of the gauge all the time.....oil level was fine...........a new oil level sender gauge unit solved the problem...picked one up from eurocar parts here in the UK

steve
Old 05-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mjonzo
Thanks guys, did a 15 minute run, parked on a flat surface and re-checked the dipstick, it was showing oil level at mid way between high and low marks on the stick. I put a pint of oil in for good measure.
Just read the post about checking the gauge through the rear window, so will try that tonight. I didnt realise the needle is only supposed to move whilst ticking over on a flat surface.
High-low mark is 1.5 liters. You may have overfilled by a bit. Depending on ambient temperature, 15 minutes is really good enough to get the oil hot, esp at highway speeds which actually cools the oil
Old 05-12-2006, 11:50 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

While a defective gauge will usually peg to the top of the scale, like Steve's mine sat at the bottom despite having the right oil level.

After 1 hour sender swap (most of the time spent getting gunk off the oil tank) all is good now so, if you are certain your oil level is okay, the sender might be defective.

Marc
p.s. Before you swap the sender though, try cleaning the contacts on the back of the gauge using a pencil eraser -- it just might work.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Miguel
Pro

I would say " put your faith on the dipstick"...

Quick Reply: Oil level gauge not working?