Cool Shirt Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:43 PM
PhilW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool Shirt Installation

I am installing a cool shirt setup with a round Thermos in the front trunk of a 964. There is no spare and this is a good place to spill water vs in the passanger compartment. My question is where to thread the hose from the cooler to the shirt. I was thinking of going throught the ventalation tube on the driver's side. Anyone have easier path?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My cooler (a mid-sized Coleman) is also in the front trunk. The hose is routed through a hole in drilled in the firewall. You can then run it along the edge of the tub to the left side of the seat or run it over to the other side and come around the back of the driver's seat. I bought an extra hose to have plenty of options available. If you PM me with your email address, I'll try and send a picture this weekend.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:50 AM
greenjt
Racer

Ok, I thought i had some pretty cool shirts hanging in my closet (in fact i'm wearing one right now as i prepare to go into the office) but i suspect this has little to do with what you are talking about. What in the world is a Cool Shirt?
Old 05-10-2006, 07:52 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh good, I thought it was just me...
Old 05-10-2006, 09:33 AM
PhilW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh -- very good question and poor assumptions on my part. A "cool shirt" in my little world is a shirt that has plastic tubing running over it and is connected to a Thermos full of ice and water. The "cool" water is pumped through the tube thus keeping the person who is wearing the shirt "cool." This helps reduce fatigue in a race during warm/hot weather.

Even including the shirts in my closet I still only have one cool shirt.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:03 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ahhhhhh, so you're saying you're now "water cooled"????
Old 05-10-2006, 11:54 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir

Old 05-10-2006, 12:05 PM
jeff522
Racer

Originally Posted by InTheAir
The PUNishment of that one is more than I can take.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:22 PM
jeff522
Racer

If you don't feel like drilling the firewall there is a passage at the upper outter corners of the trunk.They pass into the upper dash.I can get some pics if you like.I've used them for auido and lighting wires.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:31 PM
jeff522
Racer

Here are some pics to help you with your project.They are not to good , but its a hard place to photo.It should give you a fair idea where the lines will pass.Its really easy to do.It's best to do this in a dark garage.First take off the dash.This is the hardest part.Place a flash light on the trunk side so the light follows the path of the wires in the pics.Looking into the upper dash you should be able to see the ligth comming into the cab.If not have some one move the light around a little till you do see it.I used a coat hanger wire to follow the light from the upper dash into the trunk.(go into the light, couldn't pass on that).Now just pull your lines.I do remember hunting for a passage from the upper to lowwer dash was a bitch.BTW the line can either pass throught the U of the hood hinge or below it.Just make sure there is a little play in the line.The passageway is just to the inside(medeal)of the hinge.In the last pic the hinge and hood strut are to the right and theplastic cover of the vent system is to the left.The third pic gives a better idea of the true angle of the wire.It gose almost strait back from the inside of the hinge.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Cool Shirt Installation