Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what a difference it makes to be able to see - windshield replacement!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got lucky because the previous owner changed the windshield of my 964 two years ago (a bird hit him when he was at high speed in open road).
Old 09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I fit around 5 screens everyday that iam at work, i work for autoglass. (must ov been a bad boy in a previous life)
The only advice ive got about a 964 screen is make sure its dealer part.
The copy screens are small, its only a couple ov mill, but it causes them to leak and retain water so they rust.
Iam that certain about this problem that i fitted a 993 screen (bonded fitment, not rubber type) so there is no chance ov leaks, or later problems with a very old style type fitment. Windows where first fitted in rubber in the 1940,s!
Am i goin on a bit?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 964russ
I fit around 5 screens everyday that iam at work, i work for autoglass. (must ov been a bad boy in a previous life)
The only advice ive got about a 964 screen is make sure its dealer part.
The copy screens are small, its only a couple ov mill, but it causes them to leak and retain water so they rust.
Iam that certain about this problem that i fitted a 993 screen (bonded fitment, not rubber type) so there is no chance ov leaks, or later problems with a very old style type fitment. Windows where first fitted in rubber in the 1940,s!
Am i goin on a bit?
hmmm...let's just say that mine has just cracked and I couldn't get hold of my insurer's normal screen repairer (RAC) and because it was an emergency I gave you a call and luckily you had a 964 screen in stock...do you think my insurer would agree to pay for it?
Old 09-24-2008, 01:38 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love living in massachusetts. I think full glass coverage is all but required, and there is no deductible.

Just got mine replaced this afternoon. Lets just say the wear and tear (stone chips) were making it a hazard for me to drive, that it was a matter of public safety for the insurance company to replace it at no cost.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Strokher Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is why would you go back with factory glass when it pits like it does? I have never owned another car of any brand that has been such poor quality. I have no clue what the alternative is, but I am not impressed at all.

Quick Reply: what a difference it makes to be able to see - windshield replacement!!!