Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next weight saving project

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 06:00 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just get an aluminum hat w/ floating rotor. I bet the weight savings would be greater.

I'm installing such a set up front in a few weeks for use w/ big reds. I will weigh the new set up. Once the solild 1 pc comes off I shall weigh that as well and post the weights.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:13 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FamilyCar
Why not just get an aluminum hat w/ floating rotor. I bet the weight savings would be greate.
I'm considering this but wonder about the overall weight savings considering the larger calipers. I've been unsuccessfully searching for a rotor replacement for my stock setup but using aluminum hats.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:22 PM
jeff522
Racer

I still say one of the best weight savings would be the driver loosing some weight.It would have to be safer than drilling rotor hats.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:27 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by N51
I'm considering this but wonder about the overall weight savings considering the larger calipers. I've been unsuccessfully searching for a rotor replacement for my stock setup but using aluminum hats.
You can find floating rotors here but they are not for a stock setup.

Marc
Old 05-10-2006, 09:05 PM
FamilyCar
Instructor

N51,
You are probably correct. One would need to know the weights of standard v big red calipers as well, to know for sure. I already had big reds, so going w/ the aluminum hat/floating rotor from 965 1pc rotors was an easy decision from a weight reduction standpoint.

I am not aware of an aluminum hat for the stock diameter rotor, as I haven't looked into it. It seemed like it was worth bringing up though.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:00 AM
pauline964
Advanced

kgorman
....There is a fine line between 'smart' weight savings and 'sickness'. Seek help!
excuse me, you call me sick?????????

jeff522
I still say one of the best weight savings would be the driver loosing some weight.It would have to be safer than drilling rotor hats.
I agree with you when it comes to driver's weight, I am OK there, that's for sure

As posted before, I'm using two piece rotors at the front, without hat
one rotor is 15,43lbs (on my scale). The rear org. rotors have the the same
weight.

Unfortunately, there is no company out there, that is doing a two piece rear rotor like the original one ( I need handbrake for TÜV).

Quick Reply: Next weight saving project