Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diag interface & Software

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will quite happily stay mickey mouse thanks, given that A, i already have a pc i can use
b, the interface is less than 30 pounds
Those who don't have a pc / laptop then Johns unit makes sense.
If all this is so simple Loren go ahead and post up some code to share and show just how easy it is.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Check out John Speake at Rennlist sponsor JDPorsche for those interested
in his solution, i.e the Spanner.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:58 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Loren,

Have you checked out Johns Spanner? or asked any questions of John....

Kevin.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
Loren,

Kevin.
I asked John about the "Spanner" and when the version for the 964 would be available:

My Question:
cut & paste from your webpage, http://www.jdsporsche.com/jdsdiagtool.html

"Diagnose and test 928 S4 , GT, SE.CS and GTS, 944S/S2 and 944 Turbo, all 964 models, all 968 models."

If the tester for the 964 model isn't available yet, any idea on when it may
be avaliable in the future?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

John's response:
Hello Peter,
Sorry for the confusion. The pages of the website were written when the 928 version was released, hence the front page of my website, stating "928 version now available".

For various reasons the development was not carried further to cover the 964 etc. I have sold 60 or so 928 versions.

I am not intending to do more development for 964 etc.

Regards

John
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Loren,

Kevin."

John has all the hardware & interface done. You guys with the software have the
other part which can be incorporated into John's Spanner. But if John's not
willing to utilize what you guys have, then I guess that ends it.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

I may have this wrong, but Johns "spanner" has limited 964 functionality already built in. Probably to the level of the interface software. John's stumbling block is the pdas software. The additional work required to get this functionality does'nt warrant the expense to John. Afterall John's sphere is 928's not 964's and he'd need the odd C4 guinea pig to trial it too. Those with the software knowledge could probably port the interface software to a Pic micro or similar and create a diy standalone unit .It would be nice to see any artwork for such a design being posted up here. Along with the schematic. There are several posters who probably have the skills to do so.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:00 PM
Danz C4
Instructor

OK, sounds like a business opportunity to me. I'm in. Let's do it. If nothing else, we could reverse engineer a hammer. It must have a PROM that would copy, and the hardware is easy.

Dan
Old 04-12-2006, 05:28 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

My personal take on this is: This is a hobbyist DIY level way to read codes etc and have something similar to a hammer. The software and ideas have been given FREELY anyone wishing to share there ideas is most welcome to do so. I would not want it to be commercially exploited. We are all enthusiasts in a community and we help each other out when we can. Equally I understand that some of the rennlist members are in the Porsche trades or trades related to. To me it stands to reason that if someone in a Porsche business wants to gain information that is freely given then that person should be reciprical in order for the greater good. I also understand that anyone who say builds a viable 19 way connector in reasonable amounts would want to charge for the parts and regain his outlay, but i cringe at the idea of someone making a large profit on it. I would like to see things run i the same way as those on obd11 forums or megasquirt . A board is produced with some basic software it's released free to use, someone maybe produces bare boards for those willing to build them themselves and maybe someone else offers a build service for those who don't want or can't build it themselves. Meanwhile there are others who take the software and build on it offering it back up. I think you get the idea. Megasquirt exists on this principle as does to some extent Andy Whittakers Ecufix website.
Bear in mind what is being talked about is in effect a KTS 300 replacement not just a kts 301 replacement, a board built with this in mind opens up a wide range of users all of which may have different needs software wise
Old 04-12-2006, 06:45 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I clarify soemthing for the slightly nuncy here, I'm reasonably good with my hands,,,,,,but software is another area entirely.

I lent John my car for a morning, as did Iain, with the intent on helping along development. We wished to obtain a unit that could assist us with fault diagnosis, and performs idle adaptations etc.

Question, now John is out of the loop so to speak, How is it possible for someone like me to play a part in this and obtain equipment that would allow me to do these tests? Listening here I don't think I have anything to offer/exchange...

Kevin.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
loot87
Racer

Personally, I don't mind if someone makes a commercial product. We'll have both a DIY solution and a commerical product that's much more reasonably priced than the Hammer (if it wasn't, not many would buy it, especially with the free DIY solution out there). The commercial product adds polish and maybe some other features. Nothing wrong with that even if public knowledge was used to make it unless it somehow impedes the use of the DIY product.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:57 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My opinion:

As I mentioned before a commercial product would require a 19 pin plug. You can't expect customers to shove pins into one of 19 holes, or solder into wires behind a kick panel.

Also to truly make a hammer replacement you have to bring in the idle speed and knock detectors and put them on the rs232 lines so you can read them on the screen.

A pic micro incorporated with the existing circuitry could probably manage the job.

Contact your local plastics part manufacturer and figure out what it will take to make a mold from an existing connector and knock off a thousand copies.

Write the software in VB6 or VB.net. If you want to do a simple job, copy the hammer screens.

If you are insistent that you need to create a product that is standalone, use one of the brands of PDA available with an rs232 port. However I feel this is unnecessary. Everyone has access to a computer or a laptop. (certainly everyone who is driving around a porsche anyways)

When I ran the numbers on this, it wasn't profitable for me to do all this. I figured I would make alot better money just working at my day job.

Kirk
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Danz C4
Instructor

My intent here is to have a unit for resetting the lights, and occasional look at the codes. Not necessarily a commercial unit, but I would pay more than $100....less than the $1,800 for the real thing.

Does anyone have a Hammer handy? Take a look at the connector. I suspect that is an AMP or Cannon connector. Do you see a trademark or name? Some chance it is still available.

Dan
Old 04-12-2006, 07:16 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Please read last weeks thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=10545

Kirk
Old 04-13-2006, 08:38 AM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've, with a great deal of help from Laurence, and Doug just got my interface operational !!!

It might not be a 'Hammer' , but for £20, I'm more than happy to go with 'The Mouse with the big ears'.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:46 AM
pncarrerars
Instructor

Congratulations, welcome to the Doug Boyce alternative hammer club. Micky Mouse was was a great success story I believe!

Out of interrest what interface are you using?

Pete

Quick Reply: Diag interface & Software