Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diag interface & Software

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well... Now that I think about it (and/or recall reading about it somewhere) I'm not sure if the USB idea will work. Won't it search for drivers? Drivers that it won't find? (And I don't know what to give it...)

I guess I'll research pinouts on the 15 & 9 pin serial ports.

If anyone has any other ideas... Please let me know. I guess I'm not opposed to hauling out my desktop PC into the garage at this point! Maybe I should plan on a longer cable!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rs-232 has a limited range of about 50 feet at max throughput. We arent dealing with anywhere near max bps here, so you'd probably be fine to 150ft or so.

I thought I had read somewhere on here that someone found a usb adapter that worked? i guess I imagined it.

Smokin, What about hooking a long rs-232 cable to your desktop and then using your laptop, through wireless ethernet, to control your desktop. I think there are some shareware/freeware programs to show you another computers screen and use your mouse as theirs. Just a thought.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Heirsh
Rs-232 has a limited range of about 50 feet at max throughput. We arent dealing with anywhere near max bps here, so you'd probably be fine to 150ft or so.

I thought I had read somewhere on here that someone found a usb adapter that worked? i guess I imagined it.

Smokin, What about hooking a long rs-232 cable to your desktop and then using your laptop, through wireless ethernet, to control your desktop. I think there are some shareware/freeware programs to show you another computers screen and use your mouse as theirs. Just a thought.

I thought I did too... I went back and re-read the posts and jjbunn tried the uSB interface and it didn't work. I may go ahead and try it... I'll stop by Radio Shack and buy the DB9 connectors and fab something up tonight in case the USB connection doesn't work.

Someone else said they were working on a PCMCIA connection. I haven't heard any more about that.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:21 PM
cowtown
Racer

Just my 2 cents - if you can possibly get a real 9-pin serial equipped PC out near the car you will be much better off when it comes to troubleshooting. After getting the board working you can move on to the USB thing.

Can you move your desktop out there temporarily? Does a neighbor have a laptop with a real serial port?

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
How long did it take you ?
I didn't really keep track, but I'd say 10-12 hours to lay out the PCB. It was my first time so I spent a lot of time reading the help file and re-doing work over and over. Of course, it helps if you have a two-year-old keeping you up at all hours of the night. It really frees up a lot of time you previously spent sleeping. (Yawn).

Colin

Last edited by cowtown; 08-15-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by Smokin
I thought I did too... I went back and re-read the posts and jjbunn tried the uSB interface and it didn't work. I may go ahead and try it... I'll stop by Radio Shack and buy the DB9 connectors and fab something up tonight in case the USB connection doesn't work.

Someone else said they were working on a PCMCIA connection. I haven't heard any more about that.

Hi Smokin,

Actually I haven't tried the USB interface. I discovered none of my laptops had a serial interface, so was asking folks about recommended USB-Serial interfaces. I didn't get any input on that, so I have gone ahead and bought one on Ebay for 99c (yes, that's right!), which I will try in the next day or so.

For my tests so far I have used an old desktop PC in the garage, which has a serial interface.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:43 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Heirsh
No you didn't.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Jason... I've gone back through the thread and read... and read... and read... The only reference I see to a USB interface is one that didn't work. I guess I'm looking in the wrong place. Can you point me in the right direction please?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

click on didn't. it tells you what to look for anyway (in a usb to serial converter)
Old 08-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I found it here too... More info... Post #9 I think...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=usb
Old 08-15-2006, 07:27 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The USB adapters really are flakey.

The pcmcia based adapters are identical to on board rs232 ports, and will work 100% of the time.

http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0700-004.asp

Looks like I am still a month or two away from being able to play with this stuff. Hopefully the topic is still active by the time I have a running car!

Kirk
Old 08-15-2006, 07:53 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin
Can you point me in the right direction please?
I also saved the following from Opendiag at yahoo Groups.

Code:
Hi
  My adapters (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/opendiag/message/5654) for ISO... (USB-KL-Line, USB-KKL-Line) is made on FT232BM FTDI-chip. Regards, Alexander 

-----Original Message-----
From: opendiag@yahoogroups.com [mailto:opendiag@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Charlie Wallace
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2005 8:36 AM
To: opendiag@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [opendiag] Cheap usb to serial fix for VW

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin/view/Library/NokiaCableDatalogging

Nokia cables can be had much cheaper, I've seen reports of $4

-----Original Message-----
From: opendiag@yahoogroups.com [mailto:opendiag@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of squeeto2
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 9:17 PM
To: opendiag@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [opendiag] Cheap usb to serial fix for VW

I have been fixing the family car for many years with the old serial 
port type cable and laptop.  Unfortunately, new laptops no longer 
come with a serial port.  A reliable, inexpensive solution to this 
problem is a usb to serial (RS232) cable with a FTDI chip.

I tried 5 different usb to serial cables and none of them worked 
except for the one I found with the FTDI chip.  I even tried a card 
slot type (quite expensive) that didn't work.

See  www.ftdichip.com for the specs.

The Hewlett Packard hp5103a cable is an example.  These are no longer 
sold but ebay may have them.

Try http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html for a unit by Easysync.

I found a cheap unit sold here in Canada (under $30 US) at a local 
computer store:
www.boomerscomputers.ca
The unit is made in China by Wiretek and it also uses the FTDI chip. www.wiretek.com
Old 08-15-2006, 11:55 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by KirkF
The USB adapters really are flakey.

The pcmcia based adapters are identical to on board rs232 ports, and will work 100% of the time.

http://www.socketcom.com/product/SL0700-004.asp

Looks like I am still a month or two away from being able to play with this stuff. Hopefully the topic is still active by the time I have a running car!

Kirk
I bought this USB adapter on Ebay to try out ... it works on the non-Motronic interfaces, but the 8800 baud of the Motronic wont work.

I was surprised that setting a lower baud rate didn't work, either, but I haven't given up quite yet.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I didn't have the time to try it out last night... I'll be home early today and will try hauling my desktop out there. My second option (after everyone's input and much reading) will be the PCMCIA card with the DB9 dongle. I may also try (if I can find one for a decent price) a USB/Serial connector with the correct chip inside.

I'll post later today to let everyone know.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I bought a USB adapter from Radio Shack and it didn't work. It didn't say whether or not it had the needed chip inside but I figured I'd wing it and see. ScanTool just showed the red bar indicating that it was trying to connect but didn't do anything. I tried swapping the baud settings, etc but no joy.

I returned the part and ordered the PCMCIA / DB9 connector. I read (somewhere) that these work 100% of the time. The part is not something they stock so I paid for overnight shipping to my house. It should be here by Friday afternoon!

I'll post back when it arrives!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 PM
cowtown
Racer

If you would like to get in on the bare printed circuit board buy, please register your interest in this thread

Quick Reply: Diag interface & Software