Sponsored by:

Strut Brace

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:01 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Brace

I wanted a strut brace, but I didn't want to buy, have anything sticking up, or cut into my carpet if I could help it. So...

I made a couple of aluminum pieces to attach to the typical locations for these contraptions and instead of a rod or tube I connected them with a cable. The cable sits right in front of the gas tank and everything is under the carpet. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. I may go back and modify it, but I'm quite happy for a first prototype.

Did I notice any chance in handling? Well as a matter of fact I did. The bite in the front end is more stable under acceleration out of turns. There is a particular turn I take every day where the front end actually casually loses and gains traction over a couple of bumps in the road. It did not do it today. That was the only real noticeable difference. I'm actually surprised. I figured I'd do all this and get nothing in return.
Old 04-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DId you gett anypics of this? must say I'm a little confused. A cable wont help with compression stresses. or do the struts only move away from each other?

Im sure its just me being a little dense as usual
Old 04-01-2006, 03:05 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:12 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

The concensus is there are no compressive stresses. In cornering the tower tends to flex outward, thus tension only. Lots of good threads on that. But yes, in any case, the cable will not transmit compression, if there are any. This includes accidents that would normally only damage one corner of the car, but because of a typical brace transmits some force across and does who knows what.

Here are a couple pics.
Attached Images   
Old 04-01-2006, 05:17 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

You deserve high marks for creativity. I just bought a Schnell strut brace. I was under the impression these aftermarket strut fit under the carpet with no need to cut into it. The only issue I would have with the cable is that it will lose tension with time. You may need something inline with the cable to take up the slack.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Yup (the tension). Thats what that thing in the middle is. If the cable doesnt lose its stiffness (it is prestretched, but...) I will put in a new section with an end adjustment. I don't like kinking the cable like that for adjustment, but it was easy. If it does loosen up I'll probably try a different type cable, or maybe just use several thin rods (same as a cable just not twisted) that would buckle in an accident, but don't have the stretching problems of cables.

Still I used a prestretched cable with a breaking strength of 8000 lbs. I have the ends tied, so it can't twist so It is likely to not loosen. Not sure though. Thats why I'm just calling it a test.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:48 PM
williamreinecke
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What about kevlar rope or something like that?? Would it be as strong, yet lighter?
Old 04-01-2006, 05:57 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Not sure. Worth looking into. I'd have to be more careful how I crimp the ends to hold them, but thats easily remedied. Thanks for the thought!
Old 04-01-2006, 07:14 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Interesting idea.
Last Toy- keep me posted on the Schnell; I was looking at one of those but also don't want to cut any carpet. Let me know how it works out.

c
Old 04-01-2006, 08:35 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that the brace is only intended to stop the towers from flexing outward. Makes sense when looking at the construction of most of them I have seen. They appear to be made to be pulled on, not pushed. Most also fit under the carpet... mine did very nicely. (Rennline Strut brace, $176 from Pelican)

The cable solution certainly removes the concern someone had raised a while back regarding installing a brace... in the case of a "fender bender" on one side, the force (and damage) won't be transferred to the other side!
Old 04-02-2006, 08:41 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Heirsh, you can use aircraft quality cable that will not stretch. I use it in my plant to make residential elevators that are tested at 1000 lb load for 1,000,000 up/down cycles. I can get you a 6 foot sample if you are interested. It's probaly twice the diameter of yours. PM me if you want to try it.

Chris, the Schnell stut cost $136 from Eagleday.com. As soon as I get it, I wll let you know how it fits.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:53 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 231 Posts

Awesome creativity - I like it. From what I've read, you are right that a strut brace on a 911 really only does duty under tension.

Andreas
Old 04-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92964cab
My understanding is that the brace is only intended to stop the towers from flexing outward. Makes sense when looking at the construction of most of them I have seen. They appear to be made to be pulled on, not pushed. Most also fit under the carpet... mine did very nicely. (Rennline Strut brace, $176 from Pelican)

The cable solution certainly removes the concern someone had raised a while back regarding installing a brace... in the case of a "fender bender" on one side, the force (and damage) won't be transferred to the other side!
Yes that is very true... I had a strut brace and got hit passenger side in a DE, damage went across to the driver's side.
Still I'd hate to see the damage should the cable snap!
Old 04-02-2006, 10:32 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the schnell brace in, and had to cut the carpet, but I cut at the seams. I can resew, or have it resewn if I don't like the brace.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Calvaire
Intermediate

sorry heirsh, but enginnering wise the cable is totally unuseful..

The only effect a strut brace is capable of preventing is the flex under braking of the top mounts of the suspension that tends to close. the lateral movement is not relevant for both solution (cable or brace).

anyway good trial!

Quick Reply: Strut Brace