Sponsored by:

Rear Speaker Tips for '91 964 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:34 PM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speaker Tips for '91 964 Cab

I've been pouring through the old "speaker" posts and see lots of advice for 964 coupe rear speaker replacements, but not much for us convertible types.

Anyone out there done a '91 964 C4 Cab rear speaker replacement (the ones on the side panels behind the door jamb)? Recommendations for speaker size (Crutchfield suggests 5.25" for this area)?

Crutchfield suggests either 6.5" or 5.25" 2-way speakers for the front (in the doors). Can a 6.5" speaker REALLY fit in that space without hacking up the OEM door panel? I'd prefer to not chop up OEM parts irreversibly if I can help it.

Crutchfield also says that for most of the door speaker replacements, there is no connector converter kit to integrate the OEM connectors to a new speaker connector. Are there any alternatives to cutting the OEM harness off and either pigtailing or using generic harness connectors on the new speakers?

Thanks for any help!
Rod
Old 03-26-2006, 10:44 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have. I replaced them with Polk audio 6.5" 5 years ago. I also got the rear seat twin 8" subs by audio innovations. The subs obviously made the biggest difference.

http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm

Check them out:
Old 03-26-2006, 11:01 PM
skruggs964
Pro

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why Porsche did such a ****ty job of designing the sound system for the 964...especially the Cabriolet. The previous owner of my car replaced the speakers and CD player....but the sound quality still sucks.

doubleurx...I like that site you posted the link for...I might have to check into the subwoofer design they have for the rear.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2006, 11:13 PM
f11
Instructor

Thanks - I've been over to Rod's Car Audio Innovations website and also like the sub installation. But not sure yet if I want to go to that level or not. Right now, I'd like to concentrate on getting SOME low-end sound as opposed to the very thin audio my current speakers support.

I've done a speaker upgrade in another brand of car before, re-using the OEM head with upgraded speakers - the low-end difference (punch and snap) was night and day so I figured I'd do the same here... although the PO had already installed a (mid-level) Clarion head in place of the OEM head.

Rod
Old 03-26-2006, 11:20 PM
skruggs964
Pro

f11.....dude! Didn't realize you're up in Edmonton! If you find a solution for your audio woes that's not going to cost an arm and a leg....let me know! Maybe we can work a deal for 2 systems....

Earl
Old 03-26-2006, 11:45 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

I actually love close to Rod's shop and he did the instal on my car. I'll try to take some pics. It made the biggest improvement on the sound quality. Skruggs964 - we have the exact same car!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:42 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Back in the 90's OEM Audio was pretty sad compared to today's systems. I guss back then Manufacturers just wantd to cust cost. I think the speakers supplied in the 964 cost about 75 cents...
Old 03-27-2006, 03:21 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, this is what I did, but was a little easier for me to do as my car does not have rear seats: I'm just finishing a custom fiberglass enclosure which puts a 10inch subwoofer on either side of the rear feet compartment, just behind the rear seat. I'll post a DIY a little later. Essentially, I did a Cast of the floor and sides with one layer of fiberglass, pulled out the cast and reinforced it with more glass. the result eclosure is light, strong, and removable for DE. Of course, the subwoofer is the heaviest component.

Stay tuned for the DIY. Forget about the puny speakers on the rear side panels. Don't waste your money. as you will never hear them. Infact, most high end systems only use front stage with rear subwoofers.

Jaime
Old 03-27-2006, 04:02 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Ok, this is what I did, but was a little easier for me to do as my car does not have rear seats: I'm just finishing a custom fiberglass enclosure which puts a 10inch subwoofer on either side of the rear feet compartment, just behind the rear seat. I'll post a DIY a little later. Essentially, I did a Cast of the floor and sides with one layer of fiberglass, pulled out the cast and reinforced it with more glass. the result eclosure is light, strong, and removable for DE. Of course, the subwoofer is the heaviest component.

Stay tuned for the DIY. Forget about the puny speakers on the rear side panels. Don't waste your money. as you will never hear them. Infact, most high end systems only use front stage with rear subwoofers.

Jaime
I agree. While I did notice a slight change in the sound from the upgraded rears; the new twin 8" subs were the biggest sound enhancement.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:14 AM
f11
Instructor

Originally Posted by doubleurx
I agree. While I did notice a slight change in the sound from the upgraded rears; the new twin 8" subs were the biggest sound enhancement.
Uh-oh... Dang, I can hear the cash registers ringing already - this could be more expensive than I thought, as subs usually require amps!

Just out of curiosity (and to hijack my own thread), has ANYBODY bigger than a 3-year old ever ridden in those tiny back seats?

skruggs964 - I saw you in another thread and wondered when you'd figure out I was just 300km north of you - got my 964 from Rennsport in your city in mid-January. When the weather up here is a little more cooperative, and I get it shined up again, I'll get some pics of my car posted.

Rod

Last edited by f11; 03-28-2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:56 AM
skruggs964
Pro

F11..........too funny.....I was looking at your C4 last Fall at Rennsport. I was drooling over it, deciding if I wanted to trade in my C2 for your C4.

I must say that you have yourself a very nice P-car!

Earl
Old 03-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had MB quart speaker system installed in the doors and a center channel speaker (sorta like a sports chrono ) on my 90 Targa with 2 10" MB Quartz in custom enclosure run by an AD/S 4 160W channel amp and RF 2 channel 200W amp for the subs. Someone broke into the car (via the top) so I decided not to get big subs but custom 6.5" MB quartsin my 94 Cab. All run by AD/s (now defunct I think) amp. The MB quart fit right in as a set with no probs. I can't remember what I have in the rears but they are also MB quart.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 03-28-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:22 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MB Quart are excellent speakers, and I think the subwoofers are not as heavy as mine (JL Audio). The PO originally had my JL's in a very heavy box (70lbs!). If I had to look for a good subwoofer, I'd consider the weight too.

ps. just noticed that my 93Am Roadster has a taller "hump" due to the AWD shaft, and so the feet area essentially has "walls".

Jaime
Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 AM
botoo
Instructor

Rod, I have replaced the speakers in my Cab and I can tell you that the rear speakers behind the door pillars have to be 4" speakers. The magnet has to be rather compact to fit in there also.
If you replace the front lower speakers with regular speaker, you have to bypass the crossover switches which are located in the door panels, or you will still get "tinny" poor sound.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:35 AM
botoo
Instructor

Rod, also the front lower speakers are 5.25" and you will have a major cutting to fit any larger in. The 5.25" bolt right in and the spade connectors go right on, at least they did in my case.
The crossovers in the doors, however still limit the frequency the speakers get. I can tell you how I bypassed them.

Quick Reply: Rear Speaker Tips for '91 964 Cab