Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Speaker Tips for '91 964 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
f11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK... so how about 5.25" full range speakers with self-contained crossover and directional tweeter in the doors for bass and a reasonable sound image in the front seats, with 4" full range in the rear to overcome wind noise with the top down (bass would be nice, but not required).

When I replaced the OEM speakers with 5x7 Alpines (directional tweeter pointed up into my face) in the doors of the Miata, general bass response was much better and highway-driving top-down clarity greatly improved. With a new Eclipse head sporting a bit more power, there was more punch than I needed, and that was all I needed to do. Cost: maybe $400 total.

The 964 door speakers are in about the same spot as those in the Miata, so unless there's something else I don't know about, I should be able to install heavier-magnet 5.25" fronts and get the same bass improvement in the p-car even if the rear speakers aren't thumpa-thumpa capable. If the rears can just fill in the mid- to upper-range image to cover wind shriek with top down, then that'll make me happy. I could then ignore the OEM door tweeters (disconnect them).

How big a magnet do you think can be fit into the rear side panel pods if those speakers are replaced?

Rod
'91 C4 Cab
Old 03-28-2006, 07:14 PM
botoo
Instructor

Rod, I can't tell you which will fit, but I have JBL speakers installed in those pillars and they don't fit in there properly without hitting the body metal. If the magnets were smaller they would be better. Also, the crossover switches below the door handles should be bypassed to get your selfcontained front speakers to receive the full frequency range.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:53 PM
f11
Instructor

Well, that was a surprise - I took off the grills on the door speakers, and lo! "Polk" name is staring at me from the integrated tweeters! I removed the grill from the door tweeters (actually, the grill unscrewed from the mounting plate, something I've never seen before think should be standard), and they looked OEM. Same for the rear side panel speakers which had a Porsche type part number on the back.

I doubt it but have to ask - were the OEM door speakers made by Polk? I was told the OEM head had been replaced, but not the speakers. But I'm pretty sure these are NOT OEM drivers I'm looking at, they look a LOT newer than 1991 vintage. I'll get the door panels off and get a look at the Polk part number - maybe they're good enough to keep and its the OEM crossover that robs them of low-end.

Rod
Old 04-12-2006, 03:21 AM
f11
Instructor

I removed the passenger seat tonight and found the expected OEM amp and alarm unit, and another aluminum box of unknown purpose.

The OEM amp is rated at 4 x 20W maximum output - is this what I think it is: peak power rating? If so, that amp must be about 5-10W RMS per channel, which is weaker than my head unit by itself. No wonder the low end is missing, even if the case does state "Frequency Response: 10-30000Hz". The OEM head unit must have been REALLY pathetic if this amp made it "better".

THe shop that installed the Clarion head must have a problem identifying wire colors or something: the rear speaker wires are plugged in reversed (left to right). But when I fixed it the sound was reversed, so the shop must have reversed the signals at the head unit .

For what its worth, the OEM amp output wire colours are:

LF: black / brown-black
LR: yellow / brown-yellow
RF: white / brown-white
RR: red / brown-red

I see there are some spade connections labelled "Input 1" and a DIN connector labelled "Input 2". Are the spade lugs for regular output wiring from a head unit, and the DIN connector for single-cable output wiring from the OEM head unit? And there's what appears to be a ground tab with no wiring connected to the right of the DIN connector - should this be connected to the nearby ground stud?

Last edited by f11; 04-12-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:46 PM
ivndrago
3rd Gear

F11 and botto, So what speakers did you end up using in the rear? I have a cab as well can cannot find direct replacements for the 4" speakers I have (or had, they are blewn to pieces).
Old 04-22-2011, 06:57 PM
campoj2
Racer

The speaker threads are somewhat old on the forum and its always nice to get the latest data on the best speakers that will fit in the 964.
Rod's subs are must if you want to have some decent sound, for me I am still figuring out what to put in the front door, either 5.25 or 6.5 speakers. I want to retain the factory grill so I believe I will have to go down the 5.25 road -
Old 04-23-2011, 04:17 PM
MAB Badgerbimmer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put Polks in last year. i believe they were 5.25s.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:33 PM
windblown
Instructor

I have the Polk seperates in 5.25 in the door with upper tweets in the factory locations and replaced the OE crossover units with the supplied crossovers. Replaced the rear speakers with Polk also but have them turned down so much I may just take them out. I replaced my JBL 8 sub with the Kicker solobaric 8 dual coil speaker and it is pretty impressive with mono amp for sub and 4 channel for the mids and highs but... new amps are on the way along with all new speakers that are coming from kicker; the new technology has improved so much since the previous audio was installed. I know I can save weight and size and increase the sound quality with all the new products available. I'll start a post for install when I receive my new goodies.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:53 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by f11
OK... so how about 5.25" full range speakers with self-contained crossover and directional tweeter in the doors for bass and a reasonable sound image in the front seats, with 4" full range in the rear to overcome wind noise with the top down (bass would be nice, but not required).

When I replaced the OEM speakers with 5x7 Alpines (directional tweeter pointed up into my face) in the doors of the Miata, general bass response was much better and highway-driving top-down clarity greatly improved. With a new Eclipse head sporting a bit more power, there was more punch than I needed, and that was all I needed to do. Cost: maybe $400 total.

The 964 door speakers are in about the same spot as those in the Miata, so unless there's something else I don't know about, I should be able to install heavier-magnet 5.25" fronts and get the same bass improvement in the p-car even if the rear speakers aren't thumpa-thumpa capable. If the rears can just fill in the mid- to upper-range image to cover wind shriek with top down, then that'll make me happy. I could then ignore the OEM door tweeters (disconnect them).

How big a magnet do you think can be fit into the rear side panel pods if those speakers are replaced?

Rod
'91 C4 Cab
my upgrade (documented in prior posting)
-bostons (stock size) speakers/tweeters front (imo after sampling range of speakers...bostons & infinity were best especially in low ranges).
-alpines (stock size) narrow mount for the rear
-alpine head unit with i-pod dock in the glove box

regretfully the stock amp in these cars matches the quality of the stock speakers....so you may find (whether you go with "thumpers" or not) 4x100 amp install is needed (i went with alpine trunk install, altho it would have fit in stock location).
Old 04-25-2011, 09:05 PM
campoj2
Racer

What model Alpine speaker did you put in the back?
Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by campoj2
What model Alpine speaker did you put in the back?
this was install list for the roadster:
-rear speakers: alpine sps400
-front speakers: boston sx50 (external tweeter)
-amp: alpine pdx 4 x 100
-head unit: alpine cda 9886

while the installation wasn't up to what i had in previous car it turned out well & had no problems with sound/clarity with top down.....

previous car had dual amp set up with smallish woofers .......here

Old 04-26-2011, 01:19 PM
windblown
Instructor

Had a set of boston speakers, 6.5 in a previous car... I hope the new speakers I am getting will sound as good as those did. Subs up front? I have a single sub strapped on tray area for easy removal... and a very, very sensitive alarm

Set up looks very clean Raspberryroadster.

Quick Reply: Rear Speaker Tips for '91 964 Cab