Sponsored by:

Airbag replacements

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag replacements

Did a search in the archives and noticed the last serious thread was 2004.
Assuming the codes from the DME are clear, has anyone actually replaced their airbags just because they are "expired"? I know these older airbags are more powerful (hence my daughter doesn't get to sit in it). But are the replacement ones up to modern standards?
I spoke with my insurance (AAA) and they said all they do is take away the AIRBAG discount should I remove them. I'd like to keep them and would like to know how much work it would take to replace both airbags.
I'm not interested in the AJ wheel as I like the P design one.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default airbags

hi, air bags are secondary protection. the point i am getting at is my friend was in a severe accident in a 2006 mazda with side airbags and 2 front airbags. not one of them deployed and he rolled it too after getting hit very hard from the front. the car was totaled. i say wear your seat belt and dont depend on the air bags to deploy weather the car is new or old. if you wear your seat belt correctly it will do its job. i never heard of a new cars airbags not to deploy when everthing was correct with no faults. my friends car had less than 3000 miles on it. he has a law suit pending.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:32 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

An urban legend making the rounds in body shops is that an insurance adjuster was killed during an inspection of a totaled car. The airbag had not deployed. He turned on the ignition switch to display the mileage. The air bag deployed and broke his neck.

Moral of the story: always wear your seatbelt, and be aware there are small but dangerous bombs in your passenger compartment.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:04 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting, I asked my insurance company - 21st Century - about insuring a car I was looking to buy that had it's airbags removed and they told me it was uninsurable.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch
hi, air bags are secondary protection. the point i am getting at is my friend was in a severe accident in a 2006 mazda with side airbags and 2 front airbags. not one of them deployed and he rolled it too after getting hit very hard from the front. the car was totaled. i say wear your seat belt and dont depend on the air bags to deploy weather the car is new or old. if you wear your seat belt correctly it will do its job. i never heard of a new cars airbags not to deploy when everthing was correct with no faults. my friends car had less than 3000 miles on it. he has a law suit pending.
Yes I agree seatbelts are best. But an airbag can save a life. And a properly functioning one is better than one that has lapsed due to age.
I priced the replacement airbag at $1250 for passenger and $1150 for driver's side. I'm looking for info from anyone who's replaced them and the labor involved. Those prices are parts alone.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:23 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is my insurance companies response when I asked about removing the airbags.

Marc

Quick Reply: Airbag replacements