Insurance implications of airbag removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Insurance implications of airbag removal

I recently contact my insurance broker to ask about the insurance implications of removing my airbag:

"I am wondering what, if any, effect changing the steering wheel in my Porsche for a non-airbag unit would have on my insurance rate. I figure the airbag in it now is a first-generation, 15-year old unit anyway so I wonder how effective it would be required if called upon."

My broker's response:

"We would have to notify (the company) of the "modifications" made to the vehicle and if it will still pass Safety Inspection with these modifications it should be fine. You should be aware that the vehicle was built with these safety features, well before they were popular and there may well have been reason for that! By removing the air bags you are placing yourself at greater risk. Also should someone else be driving the vehicle and they are seriously injured and can show their injuries were greater due to the absence of an air bag, you could be sued for YOUR negligence.

At this point, in the most extreme circumstances, you also needs to know, that if someone hit you and do seriously bodily injury to you and find out that you have removed this safety feature, then they are going to say that you are guilty of "Contributory Negligence" meaning your actions directly affected the injuries you sustained and as a result want any monies awarded to you to be reduced by your contribution of negligence. Kind of like the 25% Contributory negligence when I hit someone and they don't have their seat belt on. "

This has made me decide against installing my Momo Competition wheel ( ) so I ordered the 3-spoke airbag wheel from AJ-USA instead ( ).

Just to let you know.

Marc
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Marc,

I'm sorry to hear that. Frankly, I'm a bit disturbed by parts of your broker's comments. In particular the reference to "there may well have been a reason for" having installed airbags well ahead of the rest of the industry. Sounds like a lawyer (no offense intended) turning a plus into a minus.

On the other hand, I expect you'll find the AJ-USA a suitable replacement. I rather like the feel of mine and am happy that it has an airbag to get me the through the next ten, or so, years.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Dave,

I thought it was a very "lawyer-like" reply too.

I think that the reason a 1991 p-car had an airbag "well ahead of the rest of the industry" was that was (is) a top-of-the-line performance car originally listing for CAN$90 000 (in 1991 dollars). I don't think that the design or construction of the car is less than any other car of the same era so needed the airbag to make up for some other safety deficiency.

Marc
Old 01-21-2006, 03:11 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm - If I ever hit anybody, and it's considered to be my fault - I will fight any injury claim because of contributory negligence - unless they are wearing a crash helmet, fire proof suit, three point harness and have a roll cage welded in their car.

If the person I hit does have all that, I shall claim that they were clearly a boy racer on the roads and it's all their fault!
Old 01-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not just the air bag that has insurance implications . Anything you do or change on a car can have insurance implications . My old shop did photo work for lawyers , posters of non standard car parts , posters of modded parts , warn parts , anything to shift blame , cast a doubt .
Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One could just as easily argue that the smaller diameter wheel made the car SAFER because it provides a more direct link for the driver and a better grip. Airbags can be dangerous for occupants - in fact it is now legal to remove an airbag (or turn the airbag off with a retrofit switch) if you consider yourself "at risk" because of this potentially dangerous, mandatory explosive "safety device." Especially true for short drivers.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:04 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

On the 964 the airbag was standard equipment as mandated by Transport Canada.

Therefore if a car without one is operated on a public roadway, said car could be seized and crushed by the authorities if it was not brought into compliance because it is not legal.

If you were involved in an accident, the insurance implications of not having one in regards to receiving payment for injuries suffered, could be life a threatening decision.

It's illegal for me as a licensed dealer to sell a car that does not comply with legislation, for someone's usage within the bounds of the said legislation.

Last edited by YYC930; 04-03-2006 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:13 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally SOMETHING I can brag about being better in my 1989 C4!
NO AIR BAG!
YAY!

Do I get a prize?

Kirk
Old 04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by YYC930
...Therefore if a car without one is operated on a public roadway, said car could be seized and crushed by the authorities if it was not brought into compliance because it is not legal.....
Dramatic, but not entirely accurate.

Marc
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

So I guess if "Mini Me" drove your 911, he could apply to be a member of the exempt group............
Old 04-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by YYC930
So I guess if "Mini Me" drove your 911, he could apply to be a member of the exempt group............

Right on!

Marc

Quick Reply: Insurance implications of airbag removal