Sponsored by:

Fan belt flip. Please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 04:08 PM
kosh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan belt flip. Please HELP!!

Hi, Just cleaning my 964 inner engine lid when I noticed the teeth stairing at me on the fan belt (The farthest one back). The belt looks as though its flipped completely.

This is not right is it? Ive been searching the web for about 2hrs and I cant seem to find a closeup photo or diagram of this area.

HOW can this happen???

Also the roller thinghy (aircon roller guide, I think) dosen't appear to be 'rolling' anything! It dosent look right, It looks thinner, It looks too far back to connect with the aircon belt and just infront of the fan belt, infact the fan belt is rubbing against the arm of the roller!

Its going into a main service and clutch change next saturday the garrage is about 20 miles away. Would it still be possible to drive it there or that a strict no no.

ANY help would really be appreciated, and If you cant help can you let me know where I can see an image or diagram of the roller mechanism.

THANKS!!
Old 03-18-2006, 05:02 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Wouldn't go to far like that but the belt should still turn on the flat side unless it is real loose. how does it look with the engine running? Fixing it should not be an issue for your shop but they really need to find out what caused it. Sounds like the belt twisted somehow and completely flipped over as it made a full cycle rotation. Something had to guide the belt over which is more concerning than the belt. I would definitly run the engine and watch the belt.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Does this help?

Marc
Attached Images   
Old 03-18-2006, 05:19 PM
kosh
Advanced

Fantastic! thanks for the pics.

Should I seriously attempt to turn the engine on then?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:46 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

Geez, Marc - with all that $$ and time you put in that car.... is that a rust spot down there?
Old 03-19-2006, 02:34 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooh, low blow, Garrett.
That'll teach you to try to help somebody out, Marc.
P.S. (I have the same rust spot)
Brian
Old 03-20-2006, 04:28 PM
kosh
Advanced

OK, didn't start it (flat battery!) but what I have noticed is that the 'roller' on marc's car is a hell of a lot wider than on mine!!!!
It looks like it is only half the thickness and has allowed the belt past where it should be and slip down the side, between the spring loaded arm and the engine block. Slowly rubbing away at the edges of the belt causing it to twist.
Do these rollers wear away?? or has something more sinister happened here?
Whats the "WORST" that can happen if I start the car NOW tonight!!!????

PS how much is a new battery????! (UK)

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated
Old 03-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hiya Kosh
A fan belt that has fliped is a damaged belt . Its life has been cut short . Get rid of it , buy a new belt . The cords inside the belt have been damaged . No good can come from the few bucks you could save by not buying a new belt . If the old belt comes apart , and it will , and gets into the other belts or gets into the cooling fan or whips into the wires or bodywork , you will be out far more than a new ac belt . I suggest that before you do anything else , cut off the old belt .

"the 'roller' on marc's car is a hell of a lot wider than on mine!!!!"
You need to get the roller to sit atop the belt and run free and you probably need a new one .

"Whats the "WORST" that can happen if I start the car NOW tonight!!!????"
Thats hard to know , how are you going to start it ? Jump start ? Push start ? Recharged battery ?
New battery ?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Not all V-Belts have the teeth on the inside.

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?br...cation_id=3292

That is an example of one with a smooth inside and a "toothed" outside.

Look at the belt and see if it is smaller on the inside than the outside. If so, it is correctly oriented.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:38 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"Whats the "WORST" that can happen if I start the car NOW tonight!!!????"

The engine is cooled by the fan (air cooled). If the fan belt breaks and the engine is run, you will damage the engine.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

When he said it was " (The farthest one back) & aircon" I thought he was talking about the ac pump belt . I see that I'm drawkcabssa on this . Its his cooling fan belt .
Old 03-22-2006, 05:58 AM
LeRoux Strydom
Instructor

Its the cooling fan belt, that's why it is the only belt to have a belt sensor so it will warn you if the belt is broken. Driving the car without this belt is not recommended unless you like spending money on engine rebuilds.

I am surprised that you are not getting a warning light if the belt sensor/roller does not rotate? Does anybody know if the sensor only determines the presence of a belt from the pressure that the belt exerts on the roller, or does it also "see" if the belt actually drives the fan properly? In this case, it seems as if the sensor still detects the belt even though the roller does not rotate?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

You should be able to tell if the belt has flipped or is one of those belts with the teeth(i.e see the link above) on the outside by looking at the profile of the belt. If the "V" part is on the outside then it has flipped and if the "V" is still riding in the pulleys then the belt hasn't flipped and your're pretty safe to start the engine. Charge the battery with a charger, don't let the engine charge a dead battery as it puts too much of a load on the alternator.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2
Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
botoo
Instructor

This belt does not have teeth on the back side or it would be too rough for the sensor to ride on it. If the belt is still tight and turning the pulleys, even if it is upside down, I would get the sensor out of the way so as not to damage it further and start the car. Immediately make sure that the pulleys are driven, and get the car to the repair. A new fan belt is a must. The sensor must be damaged, probably because of the fan belt turning, and may have to be replaced. This sensor only checks to see that the belt is in place and tight, so I am surprised you didn't get a warning.
You can start the car with a little charge on the battery, and the alternater will get you to the repair place.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:19 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Why is there two belts on the fan anyway??? The RS Cup cars only ran one belt.

Quick Reply: Fan belt flip. Please HELP!!