Old 03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 473 Posts

Hi Graham - download quicktime to view it:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/mac.html

If you're a windows guy, there's a link to get it, too

I must say, that the exhaust config of no cat, hollowed out primary, no secondary, and open airbox does make me a little deaf after a 15 minute drive where I am going through the gears (not freeway cruising). Above 4000RPM the thing howls! It's wonderful. On the freeway, it's just fine - not bad at all, actually. The completely stripped interior and engine bay, and open airbox cover are probably what makes the most difference on the interior noise...
Old 03-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Graham L
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

given that I seem to be selectively putting emhasis on the posts that encourage me, I'm going to assume that most of your noise 'problems' come from either the stripped interior or the airbox (!)

Thanks Guys - I havent decided what I'm going to do yet, but when your friends have TVR's it's easy to get sucked into this kind of mod- they do place a lot of emphasis on the sound of the car.

EDIT - Have just watched the 'wake the neighbours' clip - very impressive. I REALLY like that a lot. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:38 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

My $0.02 is that if you want to get an idea of what it would sound like is to just disconnect the system where the primary muffler meets the catalytic conerter. Thats pretty much the sond youll have with the two bypass pipes. I an running a"Shubert" Primary Bypass with the factory Scondary Muffler. This bypass is suppisedly made either for or by DP Motorsports. I got it on eBay for $300 (about the price of a primay bypass) and it has a 6" resonator instead of a muffler between the bends and keeps the car legal while giving a nice rumble.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Graham. it sounds like you've already made your mind up
just remember to post a clip of what it sounds like when you've done it !!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:31 PM
Graham L
Racer

lol - not quite decided, i think at the moment it depends on some other work i need to do to it:

little rust bubble needs fixing
calipers need painting/decals
service/MOT before Le Mans

if the above go to plan then I'll do it, just to try...if the service turns up anything untoward then it'll have to wait.

Hows the rebuild going?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:04 PM
jeff522
Racer

What about removing the secondary muffler and using either disc type incerts(like 2 disc Car Chemistry)or a tunable muffler(Supertrapp)both options offer minamal restriction and will help reduce sound.Hot roders have been doing this for years to run open headers or with a single chamber race type muffler.If it will work with a rat motor it should work with a 3.6lt.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Kavo
Rennlist Member

Graham L

I run with both mufflers bypassed. I have a stock cat. My car is primarily a track car although I do drive it on public roads occasionally. I am kind of surprised that it is not loader than it is. I wonder if someone lives near me that could make a recording of the sound. I tend to be a little more hard core than most but I don’t think it’s that bad under normal driving conditions.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Atgani
Burning Brakes

Received 499 Likes on 236 Posts

Ditch the cat and fit a bypass pipe to replace it, also ditch the primary silencer/muffler across the back of the car behind the bumper, and replace with a Cup pipe (the primary silencer is heavy and inefficient). The secondry "suitcase" silencer is efficient at silencing and is good for HP.
Drill your airbox and you'll have the best mix of exhaust noise at tickover (low and bassy) and plenty of induction noise when you give it some beans !!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck with the servicing.
>calipers need painting/decals
come on! that should be below exhaust mods in priority!!

My car is still in many pieces - bottom end in uxbridge, heads in cheshire, suspension in arizona i'll update my old thread when its getting nearer completion though
Old 03-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 91 3.6 installed in my "Older" 911. Running headers going directly into Spin Tech mufflers. (similar but smaller then supper trap). Very loud with a great rumble at idle and screams over 4000 RPM. Cruising at 3K on the higway is tolerable for long rides. I think it could drown out a Harley.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Mark Brook
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Graham,

For what it's worth mate, I thought your car was plenty loud enough at 4,000 + rpm ! That is compared to my standard system though.

Mark 90C2
Old 07-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Kavo
Graham L

I run with both mufflers bypassed. I have a stock cat. My car is primarily a track car although I do drive it on public roads occasionally. I am kind of surprised that it is not loader than it is. I wonder if someone lives near me that could make a recording of the sound. I tend to be a little more hard core than most but I don’t think it’s that bad under normal driving conditions.
How about a sound clip?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Graham L
Racer

do a search on 'wake the neighbours' or similar, vid on there that was helpful when i was looking into this...
Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 AM
mpeters951
Racer

Default Primary/Secondary Bypass:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done bypass pieces aft of OE cat, so no mufflling at all.. Although very much a personal taste issue, imho I think the detractors of this setup are wrong. Sound is very healthy. If you've heard a Duc Superbike with large bore Termignoni's, this is very similar imagining said Duc to the 2nd power.

Loud ? Admittedly. Healthy ? Very. Local Porsche shops and club folks have loved the music, as do I ! Can I sneak the car in after a late night boozer ? No bloody way.

Is this loud around town when mashing the loud pedal, well, yes to that. I'm careful not to really do the full Italian tune-up where it might offend. But, I want to hear the damn motor very deliberately and in detail.

I'm happy enough with the sound such that I've got a Dansk Euro pre-muffler on order from DPS Motorsports ($280, btw) to complete this very free exhaling set-up. The car admittedly is evolving into more track special than boulevardier.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Graham L
i dont think the secondary makes too much noise, so more would be more 'dramatic'...this probably means that either i have become completely immune to exhaust noise or the secondary has made me deaf and now i need more!

Is it really THAT bad?
You gotta be kidding! I had Fabspeed dual outlet + secondary bypass + open airbox cover + cat bypass and...it was really loud. I couldn't park my car in a subterranean parking (in malls, shopping centers, etc) because all the «bad» alarms start firing. I even had the security in a scooter chasing me once. But worst than that, It made to fire some shop alarms in open streets, just by stop nearby with the car at idle.
You want them straight ? good luck.

Quick Reply: Primary AND secondary bypass?