Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary AND secondary bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to have some opinions on something I'm thinking of trying. I currently have a Cat bypass, stock primary muffler, and a secondary bypass. I like the sound level and don't consider it too loud. I'm thinking about taking a stock OEM primary muffler to my local custom exhaust shop and having them cut the end pipes off from the OEM muffler center and then fabricate a freeflow muffler (like a glass pack) using the original ends welded to it so it will bolt into the existing system in the same space (but presumably lighter weight since it would have much less "guts"). My two questions would be 1) would it add any more power (that is the goal, afterall) and 2) would it increase the noise to a dramatically greater level over my current setup. I know it would be louder, its just a question of how much louder. It would presumably be less db level than running a primary bypass AND a secondar bypass. And again, the goal is to add some horse power. If it didn't add proven power increase on the dyno, then there's no point because I'm not after more noise just for the sake noise.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TR6, how much would the custom fab cost? If it takes them more than a few hours it seems it would end up costing more than a pre fab high performance exhaust. However... if the fab costs were low then this might be a fun project! Actually I've been thinking about doing something like this myself... I've been wanting a new MIG welder anyhow!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:58 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
TR6, how much would the custom fab cost?
As soon as I locate a cheap doner OEM primary muffler to hack up, I'll check it out and post the information.

Quick Reply: Primary AND secondary bypass?