Vintage radio problem and question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 06:20 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Vintage radio problem and question

OK, I have a vintage radio question that I need some help with. My ’93 has a CD-2, and the CD player is skipping too much to deal with. I purchased a clean one from a gentleman who had a replacement, but never installed it. He thought he had the security code, 0926.

When I installed it… lo and behold, the security code won’t work. As a matter of fact, you can’t even enter it. Because the radio buttons are only numbered 1 through 6, so obviously you cannot have a “9”. My original radio’s security code is 44342.

I called my local Porsche dealer and they were happy to help. The Service Manager took down the serial number and made a phone call. It is some kind of automated system, and he got back a recorded message, 0926. So now he is perplexed, and says that does not make sense to him either. He could not find any other support on this issue, and doesn’t know what to do next.

So I am asking if anyone knows any additional info on how to fix this problem? I know I can purchase a much better radio for less money. But, I wanted to keep the car pure. Please don’t reply with ideas like “pushing the 1 button 9 times”, because that does not work. I have received dozens of suggestions like that, and I have tried them all. I have searched all of the threads, and found nothing new or helpful.

Thanks very much,
Steve
Old 03-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve,

I promise I won't tell you to 'push button 1 nine times'. Honest.

The CD-2 was made by Alpine. You could try contacting their parts distributors for an owner's manual at :

In the USA please contact Pacific Coast Parts (800) 421-5080 or Herman Electronics, Inc. (800) 938-4376

In Canada please contact W.C. Enterprise Inc. (905) 475-7965

If they can't help you, maybe they can help direct you to a better source for info.

Or, try your local yellow pages and search for a local Alpine dealer. Talk with their service department. There are many old school tech's around yet that may know the solution to your security code problem.

Google the h@ll out of "Alpine CD-2 Security Code" and see what pops up. Maybe someone else has something posted somewhere about this problem.

I'm sure there is a solution to your problem.

Jay
90 964
Old 03-03-2006, 10:33 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve:

Here's a thread on Pelican:

Link

One of the individuals that posted on the above thread has an owner's manual for the CD-2. A PM to him/her might be very helpful.

The CD-2 definitely looks like an Alpine 7904. Though the 7904 doesn't have a security code feature. Great old unit. I applaud you for keeping it stock looking if you can!

Jay
90 964
Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Richard964
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would call another dealer. They should be able to give you the code. You may need the original car VIN.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:26 PM
botoo
Instructor

I can tell you that I have the manual and it won't help. You are supposed to be able to call your dealer and they can get the code. This obviously didn't work for you.
I also can tell you that it is practically impossible to get the radio fixed. I finally installed a new aftermarket unit.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:47 AM
botoo
Instructor

Reading the manual, it is stated that the security code is a 5 digit number and appears that any digit is not larger than a 6. It says nothing about how to input any larger digits. It will let you input 3 successive tries and then lock out for 24 hours. A note says "Should you lose your security code cards, contact the nearest Porsche dealer who will then obtain your code from Porsche". My number is 31535, for instance.
Hope this helps..
Old 03-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Pingo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try 02342
Old 03-04-2006, 03:45 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cd-2

mine is remanufactured. it had the old code and the new. i am sure you can send it out and have it reprogramed. if it comes down to that.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:36 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have contacted the Alpine folks ad nauseum. The level of concern has been microscopic at best. They all tell me "it's too old, just buy another one". So now I have two of them.

Steve
Old 03-05-2006, 04:21 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

My radio is original, and is chaotic. Soemtimes it works, soemtimes it doesn't. No rhyme or reason to it. Sure I cou;d spend money fixing it. Vut I have better things to do with the lucre. I suggest replace it and keep it so if you want to revisit the issue or sell the car you will have the orginal - to show the new purchaser. Just explain it to them. They will understand I am sure. No one buys this car for the radio! Keep the threads to this as well and show them that. That will add to your case.

Sea Eagle
Old 03-05-2006, 12:27 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the idea. That would be the simplest thing to do.

Steve
Old 03-05-2006, 01:23 PM
botoo
Instructor

Steve, just be aware that the CD-2 radio has an amplifier under the passenger seat. It has a special cable running to it from the CD-2. You should abandon that amp. and run the speaker wires from that location under the seat to the new head unit that you install. If you don't get good reception when you are finished, check that the hair thin center wire hasen't broken in the co-ax antenna cable.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:32 PM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got it. Thanks,
Steve

Quick Reply: Vintage radio problem and question