Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006 | 07:15 PM
FredC
Drifting

Default 1994 Cabriolet

I am seriously considering buying a 1994 cabriolet. I am very familiar with the 996 series but know absolutely nothing about 964s apart from the fact that they look phenomenal!

What should I be looking for when I inspect the car? What are the known issues with these cars?

thanks
Old 03-03-2006 | 12:55 PM
Jay H
Drifting

1994 964's are arguably the best built of the 964 series. All the teething problems of the early cars had been solved by 1994 by the factory.

Since even a '94 is getting up there in age, there are 3 things that really matter on these cars. Condition, condition and finally, condition.

The usual used car items always apply to these cars. Check the condition of the tires, rotors, pads, shocks/struts, etc.

All electrical accessories should work. Turn the key on to the run position without starting the car to see what warning lights are functioning. You may need to reference an owner's manual if available to insure everything is lighting up that should be lighting up.

Top should be inspected throroughly to look for wear and proper operation. Clutch should function easily and not be excessively heavy. Tranny should shift (if it's a 5 speed manual) freely and be free of excessive rattling under load. They are a bit notchier than newer cars, but shift pretty well for a Porsche.

Rear spoiler should pop up at 47 mph and go down at 4 mph. A/C system is effective, but still not up to modern car outputs. However, it should cool the cabin well enough. Heat should be nearly instant and the blowers in a 964 should create quite a bit of air movement at full blast with both heat and A/C.

Motor should be free of oil leaks, but if it does have an oil leak, that won't completely disqualify the car. More investigation needs to be done to find the source of the oil leak. It could be an $80 gasket or a $3000 engine reseal job.

Otherwise, these are very robust cars and again, arguably the best modern 911 built of the 964 and 993 series with maybe the least faults right from the factory.

How many miles are on this car?

Good luck!

Jay
90 964
Old 03-03-2006 | 01:15 PM
MARC A. 964 C4

Jay H...
Nice write up. I wish I would have known you three years ago. I probably would have continued a bit blind as I did anyway, but your help would have been appreciated along the way.

So many times I’ve tried to start a thread expressly written to help the New Guys / Gals looking for good advice. You’re a good Porschist to help a stranger... Bravo!!..

From here,
Marc...
Old 03-03-2006 | 02:54 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

What Jay says plus:

The 1st gear will be hard shifting in the cold but changing tranny oil to Mobil 1 or Redline changed that a lot.
Also have your mechanic check the plugs. I was helping a friend look at one and we found the plugs were actually a little loose and was losing compression because of that. Otherwise it was a great car to get. Compression tests don't tell the whole story.

Originally Posted by Jay H
1994 964's are arguably the best built of the 964 series. All the teething problems of the early cars had been solved by 1994 by the factory.

Since even a '94 is getting up there in age, there are 3 things that really matter on these cars. Condition, condition and finally, condition.

The usual used car items always apply to these cars. Check the condition of the tires, rotors, pads, shocks/struts, etc.

All electrical accessories should work. Turn the key on to the run position without starting the car to see what warning lights are functioning. You may need to reference an owner's manual if available to insure everything is lighting up that should be lighting up.

Top should be inspected throroughly to look for wear and proper operation. Clutch should function easily and not be excessively heavy. Tranny should shift (if it's a 5 speed manual) freely and be free of excessive rattling under load. They are a bit notchier than newer cars, but shift pretty well for a Porsche.

Rear spoiler should pop up at 47 mph and go down at 4 mph. A/C system is effective, but still not up to modern car outputs. However, it should cool the cabin well enough. Heat should be nearly instant and the blowers in a 964 should create quite a bit of air movement at full blast with both heat and A/C.

Motor should be free of oil leaks, but if it does have an oil leak, that won't completely disqualify the car. More investigation needs to be done to find the source of the oil leak. It could be an $80 gasket or a $3000 engine reseal job.

Otherwise, these are very robust cars and again, arguably the best modern 911 built of the 964 and 993 series with maybe the least faults right from the factory.

Good luck!

Jay
90 964
Old 03-03-2006 | 08:26 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Thank you Marc A.!
Old 03-03-2006 | 08:48 PM
biggs
AutoX

Hey there... I purchased my 94 964 Cab in October here are the details to date
90 k (miles) , $29,500 CDN apox $24 US at the time, PIP found very minor minor oil leak that about all (not a conern) clutch and brakes were new, top in perfect condition interior almost flawless. Exterior generally good, never repainted, no rust. Black on black 17 inch rims... I drove the car from 1 month and put it away for the winter.... this is what I have done
1) Four new tires $1000
2) CD player crapped out, forget about repairing it, Alpine don't stock any parts ( or $1,975 from you friendly neighbourhood Porsche dealer) toss it trust me...
3) Sender unit replaced $125 ( cnd)
4) I did a full 90 k service. Plugs, valves, all filters, all the fluids etc $1300 ( cdn)
5) New key $80 up thats $80
6) Floor mats $100
7) an a million dollars on wax ( must have waxed it 10 times already)

Things to check--- Compression check, leak check and oil inspection for metal filing , new engines or rebuilds require mortages, loans don't go that high... The exhaust sytem is really expensive however loans are available in that price range. Make sure the car has not been damaged and double check for rust. Check the rims are original and not knock offs ( check for numbers beside the valve stems, the knock off have bumps.. ask me how I know, can you say left rear). Check the computer for fault history, make sure the instrument lights function ( check the bulbs are working, cheap fix for the seller), check the tail spoiler is operating ( flick the switch in the cab), these motor units are $$$ ... Check the top operates, if the seller claims the top is manually operated this is not the car for you.. Hope this helps... Biggs,
Old 03-04-2006 | 01:43 AM
MARC A. 964 C4

Originally Posted by Jay H

Good luck!

Jay
90 964
Added to Jay/Others...

Read what everyone is telling you and to that,
add the "Cabriolet Soft Top" to the control list.

Check the obvious, such as tears, damaged, chaffed fabric/material.
Check the plastic window for excessive scratching, tears.
On the inside, check the inter fabric/material skin lining for its fit, tears.
Check the structure itself for damage.
Check the structure’s extreme aft seal/weather protection.
Check the structure’s window seals/weather protection.
Check the window seals/weather protection on the two doors, humidity could have damaged the speaker cones, (listen to the radio with max bass), locking mechanisms, alarm sensors, etc.
Check the carpets/sound insulation for humidity, the smell of mildew.
Open and close the top to control the locking mechanisms/micro sensors...

"Have a good look/control now and not later when it's too late"...**

It’s obvious that, the goal is to find a "Dry Car" and not one that may be humid, mouldy, and rusting where not seen... Because, if you don’t check the soft-top. The repairs could be very expensive and time consuming before for example, you find the exact soft-top colour, or re-painting, etc... Last question... Where has this convertible been living recently, indoors or outdoors...

"To everything that I've said, there's so much more to tell you"...

Don’t be shy in asking questions, that’s what a good buyer is all about...
And a good seller will respect you for that... After all you’re a PORSCHIST !!

So, where’s the Porsche in question... where’s the photographs... where are you...

Everyone is ready to help...

From here,
Marc...

PS... You have done well to ask here. There are many more that could help you also... GOOD LUCK !!!!!

**"As I did...And I thought I knew everything, well almost everything"...

Last edited by MARC A. 964 C4; 03-04-2006 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Last words of help...
Old 03-04-2006 | 11:06 AM
FredC
Drifting

You guys are amazing. I am really looking forward to owning such a great car. I will report back to let you know what i find.

Constaf
Old 03-04-2006 | 06:53 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

What is a fair/good price on a '93 Cab with 92K miles? Blue exterior/tan leather; everything works; new starter and wiring harness; good clutch and tranny; light paint work (no hard hits); 16" rims (unfortunately not 17" Cup 1's, but they are available as an upgrade); no engine leaks; soft top in great shape.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-04-2006 | 07:29 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

17 - 20K maybe because of high miles
Old 03-04-2006 | 08:52 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by K964
What is a fair/good price on a '93 Cab with 92K miles?
In my area with spring approaching, this car might bring $20-$24k if it's solid and in very good shape. Higher mileage, but spring tends to bump prices up.
Old 03-06-2006 | 10:17 PM
lvc2
Instructor

I bought a 1991 cab in 2004 that had a new top from the local porsche dealer and it cost the po about $4000 per the receipts. I know the dealer is expensive but it gives an indication as to how expensive a new top can be. I garage mine at work and home to avoid having to do it again for a lot of years.

1991 Colbalt Blue Cab

Quick Reply: 1994 Cabriolet