Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with purchase of 964

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:32 PM
gfunk
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a PPI done when I purchased an 89 964 a couple of yrs back. It passed with flying colors. On the way home I discovered the oil consumption was excessive. I would have let it go but my clutch went 6 months later so I had a top-end rebuild while the engine was out.

The excess oil consumption was due to worn valve guides which are a common problem but I am not aware of any easy way for a standard PPI to measure worn valve guides (compression and leak down were good). You need to remove valve covers and wiggle valves back and forth. It is probably best just to ask the owner what the oil consumption is. If it is more than 1L per 500 miles you will likely need a valve job in the near future.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:07 PM
C H
Instructor

If you are looking for a good DIY buying guide check out http://www.porsche964.co.uk/rev_rep/911pw.htm
Old 02-28-2006, 10:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome the Rennlist.

Hopefully most of your initial questions have been answered already - don't shy about asking questions as, for the most part, we are a friendly bunch willing to help. As it has not been said yet - if you do buy, just please post pictures (we love pictures).

The only thing I have to add to what has already been said is about the rattle you hear on closing a door. If it still rattles with the window open (so it not the heater), it could also be either a heat shield (on the cat - rear driver's side) or a brake rotor dust shield -- both easy to fix.

Marc
Old 03-01-2006, 01:40 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Here's something I learned with the last C4 - be sure to turn on the lights on the car at night so you can see the gauges and how they light up. I was surprised to find that my speedometer looked fine during the day, but at night it is all cracked and peeling apart and looks awful! You just can't tell until the light comes through the back. $120 later I'll have a new face... just another thing to be wary of!
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 AM
seaeagle
Advanced

Agree with all sentiments above. when yu get the max price you will pay done in your head, stand back, add 20% and ask yourself,if I pay this, can I live with anor 20% for unforseen repair/maintenance.Now assuming you don't need a rebuilt engine and from what I have read it can happen, but is less likely if the car is well documented, and has a good PPI/leak down etc, up to 20% is about the money you will spend in the short to medium term one way or the other to keep the car in good shape.

In my case, 8 mths in, well done PPI, nothing major broken, and already 10% spent after a full service/repair journey. I will not be surpirsed at all to spend anor 10% in the next 12 -24 months just keeping the dream alive. And I will be ecstatic if i don't have to!

Sea Eagle
Old 03-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Volare
2nd Gear

I just want to give a big thanks to all those who took time to respond to my post. I have contacted Devek (http://www.devek.net/), a shop in Redwood City that will perform the PPI. For anyone who might be interested in the future, the PPI will cost $250, and the whole process takes 2 hours. At the end of the 2 hours, they will determine whether or not they should perform a compression and/or leak test, and will only proceed with customer approval. Thanks again to all you guys for your help, and I will most definitely post pictures of the car if everything works out.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck; it's great to live a dream!
Old 03-01-2006, 09:42 PM
TJN
Instructor

Smile 964 purchase

Originally Posted by last toy
Volare, your questions have been answered but here are some more advice from a new purchaser myself and not knowing this website existed. So your first actions to ask questions here could alleviate future headaches. here are my suggestions from experience:

1. ask if the rear blower( left side) resistor has been upgraded. Fires have been known to occur from the OEM resistor gone bad
2. ask if the dual distributor belt has been chedked or replaced. If you don't see a vent tube going from the blower duct to one of the distributors, the chances are the belt is OEM. The belts decay with ozone and result in single distributor function---not good.
3. Crank the heater and blower ***** to high and make sure heat comes out of all upper vents and defroster.
4. Run the air conditioner at max while car is in neutral and check to see if the compressor clutch is engaging.
5. Run a magnet over all panel to make sure they have not been replaced with fiberglass because of an accident.
6. If the cylinder heads have not been machined to accpet a gasket, you could end up with costly oil leaks in the 89 and the 90 models. Therefore, you may want to look for a 91 to 94. Be real picky about oil leaks, they are real common but not all oil leaks are of the same level of cost.
7. You may want to have an engine compression check done, but if you take it out and red line it in each gear and it feels and sounds real good. That should suffice. The oil pressure guage should read at or near 5 bars at acceleration and around 1.5 to 2 at idle.

8. More than likely the battery is near its end if OEM. The 964 has a lot of ongoing battery draw to support the electronics when the car is down. $120 bucks.

9. ZR rated tires are $180 to $200 each

10. Ask if the car has been tracked.

Hope this helps, i didn't ask or check these potential issues when I bought mine and so far, except for a few minor quirks, the Porsche gods have been good to me and my baby.
Good luck
volare, if you aren't sufficiently confused, this is my 2cents. i purchased a '91/c4/964/3.6l, carrera coupe about 8 years ago, still have her and since converted to twin turbo from normally aspirated. leakdown tests don't prove much, particularily on the 964 series 3.6 litre. the cylinders become egg shaped and therefore don't hold compression for any length of time. i used to argue with wrench that he was full of s*** until an article came out in "excellence" (an all porsche magazine.) instead of worring about the cylinder leak test results, look for oil residue on the rear bumper, engine compartment lid etc., inquire about oil consumption etc. best of luck and come join us! vk

Quick Reply: Need help with purchase of 964